WVO in common rail

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

xantos
My Cars: Xantia 1.9TD Break non-hydractive (1999)
Xantia 3.0 V6 Activa (1998)
C4 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mk2 (2010)

WVO in common rail

Post by xantos »

Hello!

Been running my Xantia 1.9TD on different ratios of WVO, WHO and diesel. It's been running now for 2 years and within I covered about 40kkm. Only mods that I've done is coolant heat exchanger and heated fuel filter (from a Golf MK1 :-D ). I change my engine oil every 10kkm and so far I didn't notice any polymerization...

In the last few days, I studied the possibility of WVO in common rail engines. Xantias will not last forever and at some point other car will have to be thought of ... :)

I came across a PhD on this subject (PDF, 423 pages):

https://www.google.si/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... QMqG5iYPP3

Of course, I have not (yet) read the whole document, just abstract and a conclusions.

Interestingly, in fact, the common rail system, through all the sensors it has, allows many things that can be tweaked. It is necessary to change the MAP (and probably to replace the injectors). At least that's what's written in PhD. Well, the biggest problem with WVO is dirt, viscosity, water and PH (to acidic). But with proper treatment WVO can be made to meet the standards for common rail use.

The design is done in cooperation with Elsbett (it's now called Grease Energy), who is also a supplier of injectors and already has changed MAPs for common rail systems.

For example:
https://www.greasenergy-shop.com/epages ... rrency=EUR

Even though, the price is high, in principle it will cover the expense within a year or so.

Now another thing. For heating the entire system, webasto system could be used (park heating, stand heating...). Probably would not be working with WVO... The flame is supposed to be larger than that of a diesel, so it strikes the wall and reflects back, so there is no clean combustion and then it is drowned with soot. But should be able to burn heating oil which is half cheaper, but a third tank would be needed...

So the biggest problem (from what I know) is cold start on WVO. Maybe with additional heating using electricity from the battery (put some batteries in the trunk used only for heating and then charged with engine alternator) and using a park heater you could heat the fuel, fuel lines, pump, injectors to a temperature that would enable even a cold start with WVO. But then again I believe it would take at least 15min to get to operational temperature... A timer could be used to warm the engine before you go to work and off-work and even a thermostat to keep constant temperature when you are on visit for a couple of hours.

Opinions/suggestions/experiences are very welcome! 8-)
Xantia Break 1.9TD (jammed b****!)
Xantia Activa 2.0 TCT + LPG (1998) (peeing b****!) RIP
Xantia Activa 2.0 TCT (1998) (burnt b****!)
Xantia Activa 3.0 V6 (1998) (not a b****! yet :-D )
C4 Exclusive 2.0 HDi (gear shifting b****!)
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Re: WVO in common rail

Post by EDC5 »

Making biodiesel is something I know a fair bit about, is it too much trouble to make actual biodiesel from the WVO instead.... that would solve all of the compatibility issues as biodiesel (the methyl esters of fatty acids) are very similar in properties to diesel compared to triglycerides (veg oil).

Personally I'd be looking to put a XUD9 into a C5 if I wanted to use straight WVO in a new car.... now there’s a project :lol:
xantos
My Cars: Xantia 1.9TD Break non-hydractive (1999)
Xantia 3.0 V6 Activa (1998)
C4 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mk2 (2010)

Post by xantos »

Well biodiesel is an option I suppose... Putting a XUD into C5 that would be a massive project. Probably half of the electronic wouldn't work. :-D

Anyone has any experience with biodiesel and common rail engines?
Xantia Break 1.9TD (jammed b****!)
Xantia Activa 2.0 TCT + LPG (1998) (peeing b****!) RIP
Xantia Activa 2.0 TCT (1998) (burnt b****!)
Xantia Activa 3.0 V6 (1998) (not a b****! yet :-D )
C4 Exclusive 2.0 HDi (gear shifting b****!)
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

One previous employer put bio into a pug 807 2.2 hdi, it conked out and cost plenty to sort out. He then put it into an 806hdi thinking it would work on an older engine. It got 1/2 a mile before it conked and again cost lots to sort out. I wouldnt consider it in an hdi. Im using 50/50 new veg/derv in the xud just now, I may try a bit more veg, but not considering making bio now, even though I would get the waste for free to make it.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

My previous C5 ran extremely well on biodiesel Davie.
Could be that your employers suppliers had produced sub-standard bio.
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

myglaren wrote: 17 Nov 2017, 16:31 My previous C5 ran extremely well on biodiesel Davie.
Could be that your employers suppliers had produced sub-standard bio.

That is quite likely Steve. The supplier did have a reputation. It wouldn’t surprise me if it just been filtered waste without the proper treatment, or not nearly enough treatment. I’m not even going to try the xantia on just filtered. At the moment it’s running 30 litres of new veg to 22 litres of derv and running perfect. That’s still saving me quite a bit.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
crapday69
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 Tourer 1.6 eHDi VTR+NAV

Post by crapday69 »

I went about 5 miles on 100% new sunflower oil on my Xantia 1.9 when I went to trade it in 12 years ago. I had no fuel left and wasn't prepared to put a fiver in just to get to the dealers, so 2 bottles of sunflower oil was only a pound. I never noticed any problems in that 5 miles. It was end of March in Scotland so washy that hot. I did wonder why I had crowds chasing me shouting a fish supper and deep fried mars bar. That last bit was tongue in cheek lol.

Gary.