Dump Your Deezel

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Dump Your Deezel

Post by myglaren »

Looks as though a diesel scrappage scheme is about to descend upon us.
According to the Torygraph anyway :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Dump Your Deezel

Post by CitroJim »

Not likely, not dumping mine. I feel gloriously naughty every time I drive my 1.9TD ;)

As the current fashion to hate diesels grows apace I'll feel even more naughty :)

But then, the amount of pollution I make in my tens of miles a week is potentially much less than a super-carlos-fandango whizzbang Blue Emotion oiler doing several hundred a week on the school run...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

I wonder if it will carry the clause that you must purchase a British made car.......bet not :(

And the buggers are not taking the last car I can use for bushiness without having some 4x4 monstrosity or a Van giving 24mpg.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
mickeymoon

Post by mickeymoon »

Stickyfinger wrote:I wonder if it will carry the clause that you must purchase a British made car.......bet not :(
Can't think of a single British made car I'd like...

Made in Britain

MINI – MINI, MINI Clubman and MINI Countryman, in Cowley, Oxford
Honda – Civic and CR-V in Swindon
Toyota – Auris, Auris hybrid and Avensis in Burnaston, Derbyshire
Nissan – Juke, Qashqai, Note and Leaf and Infiniti Q30 in Sunderland, Tyne and Wear
Lotus – Elise, Evora and Exige in Norfolk
Aston Martin – DB9, Vantage, Rapide, Vanquish, and DB11 in Gaydon, Warwickshire
Bentley Motors – Continental, Flying Spur and Mulsanne in Crewe, Cheshire
Rolls Royce – Ghost and Wraith in Goodwood, West Sussex
Jaguar – F-Pace and XE in Solihull, and F-type, XJ, XF and XE in Castle Bromwich, Birmingham
Land Rover – Discovery Sport and Range Rover Evoque in Halewood, Merseyside, and Range Rover, Range Rover Sport and Land Rover Defender in Solihull, West Midlands
Vauxhall – Astra at Ellesmere Port and Vivaro van in Luton

That's your lot, unless you want a Morgan or Noble.
mickeymoon

Post by mickeymoon »

myglaren wrote:Looks as though a diesel scrappage scheme is about to descend upon us.
According to the Torygraph anyway :(
Finally, some sense! Just sad I'll not be able to get £2000 for my old Berlingo :lol:

Air quality is pretty grim down here, especially within the M25. Something needs to be done. It would help if they would pull their fingers out and actually make PT viable and cost-effective in most places, but they don't seem to want to focus on that..
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

mickeymoon wrote:
Stickyfinger wrote:I wonder if it will carry the clause that you must purchase a British made car.......bet not :(
Can't think of a single British made car I'd like...

Made in Britain

MINI – MINI, MINI Clubman and MINI Countryman, in Cowley, Oxford
Honda – Civic and CR-V in Swindon
Toyota – Auris, Auris hybrid and Avensis in Burnaston, Derbyshire
Nissan – Juke, Qashqai, Note and Leaf and Infiniti Q30 in Sunderland, Tyne and Wear
Lotus – Elise, Evora and Exige in Norfolk
Aston Martin – DB9, Vantage, Rapide, Vanquish, and DB11 in Gaydon, Warwickshire
Bentley Motors – Continental, Flying Spur and Mulsanne in Crewe, Cheshire
Rolls Royce – Ghost and Wraith in Goodwood, West Sussex
Jaguar – F-Pace and XE in Solihull, and F-type, XJ, XF and XE in Castle Bromwich, Birmingham
Land Rover – Discovery Sport and Range Rover Evoque in Halewood, Merseyside, and Range Rover, Range Rover Sport and Land Rover Defender in Solihull, West Midlands
Vauxhall – Astra at Ellesmere Port and Vivaro van in Luton

That's your lot, unless you want a Morgan or Noble.
While they are made in Britain, how many are British?
Unless I am mistaken, only Lotus and I am not too sure of that either.
mickeymoon

Post by mickeymoon »

Lotus is Malaysian.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Not at all surprised.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Landrover Defender went out of production went out of production 29th January 2016 (H166 HUE was the last one made), although Jaguar Land Rover have announced they will launch a replacement.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Nice collection of comments at the bottom of the article, a fair few making valid points re woodburners, buses and trucks, but as Bob Dylan once sang "The times they are a changin'" just a question of how fast. However clumsy this scrappage scheme may turn out to be, it will add to the momentum for change. Few car makers will be scaling up their R&D into Diesel/Petrol powertrains. The easiest way of passing stricter and stricter emissions tests, is to go with the flow and try and grab as much of the emerging electric market as possible, or be left behind.

Apparently the "What Car" Electric Car of the Year 2017 is non other than the Renault Zoe. Who will be the first FCF member to scrap a diesel and plump for one of those and lead the way?

https://www.renault.co.uk/vehicles/new- ... e-250.html

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 05 Feb 2017, 22:27, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

^Named after my granddaughter :twisted:
mickeymoon

Post by mickeymoon »

I reckon the time is coming when something pretty radical will happen, as old diesels are directly harming people. This isn't about global warming, protecting newts or far-fetched theories - they spew out poison that harms people, and nobody denies this.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

mickeymoon wrote:I reckon the time is coming when something pretty radical will happen, as old diesels are directly harming people. This isn't about global warming, protecting newts or far-fetched theories - they spew out poison that harms people, and nobody denies this.
Now I'm feeling really guilty about driving Gabriel :(

It's true though, you only need to ride a bike to realise just how horribly polluted our towns are... And a visit to London really shows it up...

It is indeed time to act...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mickeymoon

Re: RE: Re: Dump Your Deezel

Post by mickeymoon »

CitroJim wrote:
mickeymoon wrote:I reckon the time is coming when something pretty radical will happen, as old diesels are directly harming people. This isn't about global warming, protecting newts or far-fetched theories - they spew out poison that harms people, and nobody denies this.
Now I'm feeling really guilty about driving Gabriel :(

It's true though, you only need to ride a bike to realise just how horribly polluted our towns are... And a visit to London really shows it up...

It is indeed time to act...
Don't feel guilty Jim. Most of us here have done it at some time, and you only drive about 30 yards per aeon.

We all did it for the same reason too - money. I don't believe anyone bought a diesel because they actually liked driving the horrid things.

A simple way to kill them off would be to slap 30p on a litre of diesel.

I also think scrappage schemes are slighty elitist. Not everyone can afford a brand new car, even with 2 grand for their old motor. If the govt really cared, they'd do away with the requirement to buy a new car, or even any car. They give you £2ķ for your dirty old diesel, at a approved scrapyard. I'm sure far more would be off the roads in short order.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: RE: Re: Dump Your Deezel

Post by CitroJim »

mickeymoon wrote: I also think scrappage schemes are slighty elitist. Not everyone can afford a brand new car, even with 2 grand for their old motor. If the govt really cared, they'd do away with the requirement to buy a new car, or even any car. They give you £2ķ for your dirty old diesel, at a approved scrapyard. I'm sure far more would be off the roads in short order.
Yes, as there is no way I'm going to buy a new car for a £2K discount but if they gave me £2K in cash that would be worthy of some sort of consideration...

I still believe that we need a sea-change of attitude in this country over the usage of cars... People should be encouraged, in every way they can, to use their cars a lot less... It will need some thought, investment and 'carrots' but it could be done.

One thing is to stop using cars for so many short journeys that could be walked or biked. Arguably all cars make most pollution on these short trips.

The school run is the obvious target and the second one is short work commutes...

Also, for commutes into busy towns, install park and rides on the edge and encourage public transport from there to the place of work; again, cars make more pollution when hacking through congestion. Cut that out and a lot of pollution goes with it...

Buses need not be polluting as they are natural candidates for being electric. Milton Keynes has a good few electric buses now and I believe they charge up through inductive plates at bus-stops...

As I say, it just needs will and imagination and it can be done without completely alienating the diesel.

Scrappage is a sticking-plaster on a symptom and an easy way out. It is not a solution.
Jim