Moving on, finally!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Re: Moving on, finally!

Post by white exec »

:sprint:
Chris
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote:Striking a match could well have got rid of it :wink:
And the entire building Peter :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

So more talk on the telly last night about banning diesels and we now have the situation where modern petrol engines appear to be coking up like they did forty years ago. Where to now, pedal power?

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

demag wrote:Where to now, pedal power?
Yes!!!! I'm already there ;) :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

CitroJim wrote:
demag wrote:Where to now, pedal power?
Yes!!!! I'm already there ;) :lol:
I tried it but frankly it was like going on a suicide mission around here, narrow unlit roads, HGVs etc. and the first time riding a bike for fifty years :( . plus I live on top of a hill so going out in any direction was ok but getting back was a killer. :)

I sold the bike, much prefer a brisk walk.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's a shame Gibbo but you did have a lot against you there - so quite understandable... My regular cycle commutes are along roads that are busy but not with heavy goods traffic and all our hills are of the therapeutic sort rather than the painful slog type...

The only thing I would have suggested if you still had the bike would be to load it into the car and take it somewhere where you could ride for pleasure away from traffic and hills...

A brisk walk is good :) The main thing is you are not always using the car when you go somewhere...
Jim

demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

Yes I enjoy my walks. Did 10 miles over the Shropshire hills in the spring but need to get out more. Trouble is wifey is turning into a worrier and when I'm out of her site she thinks I'm going to die! Trying to get time to myself is turning into a real task now.
Before I bought the Synergie I was seriously considering a Prius and might still end up going down that road.

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
ekjdm14
(Donor 2020)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: '95 Xantia 1.9D automatic - 109k one of two remaining
'03 206 GTi180 - 97k in pieces being brought back up to snuff
'03 206 1.9TD - home-built veg-fuelled B-road bruiser
'99 306 SE 2.0i cabriolet - 92k awaiting service work ready for next summer
'97 306 XS 1.6i 3 door, Bianca White, from dead 12 years & seized solid to road legal in 7 days

Post by ekjdm14 »

CitroJim wrote:
Peter.N. wrote:Me too Gibbo, and asbestos dust. :shock:
And me plus a load of solvents and chemicals, all of which have now been banned such as carbon tet, trike, Arklone and the like :)

Not to mention lifelong exposure to high RF (Radio Frequency) fields...

By rights I should be dead by today's standards... I'm still good...

Must be, I ran a 5Km Parkrun in just over 26 minutes this morning!
Trike been banned now? :? I used to work with it as a degreasing agent & seem to recall it was pretty safe except if you smoked/had a flame near it, then it oxidised into something very harmful.
It's pretty ironic how a lot of the time it's the people who've taken the best care of their body and health who end up going first... Still, if there is anything to be taken from the inverse of that, I should be around for a good few hundred years yet the way I've looked after myself hahaha
'95 Xantia LX 1.9D-auto, Black, 109k
'03 206 GTi180 94k in surgery
'03 206 1.1S XUD9TE/veg project :mrgreen:
'99 306 2.0SE cabriolet 95k summer toy
'97 306 XS 1.6i 99k sat 12 years, fixed in 7 days, 150mile maiden voyage :rofl2:
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

CitroJim wrote:That's a shame Gibbo but you did have a lot against you there - so quite understandable... My regular cycle commutes are along roads that are busy but not with heavy goods traffic and all our hills are of the therapeutic sort rather than the painful slog type...

The only thing I would have suggested if you still had the bike would be to load it into the car and take it somewhere where you could ride for pleasure away from traffic and hills...
I could walk to this place and rent a bike Jim. :) http://pedalabikeaway.co.uk/
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

ekjdm14 wrote: Trike been banned now? :? I used to work with it as a degreasing agent & seem to recall it was pretty safe except if you smoked/had a flame near it, then it oxidised into something very harmful.
yes, as far as I know it's banned... And we used to smoke whilst using it....

Speaking of oxidising into something harmful, modern FM200 fire suppressants as used in computer data centres and the like decompose into hydrofluoric acid if it meets a naked flame... That's possibly the most dangerous acid on the planet..

It's a long story but I ended up exposed to it in the presence of naked flames and ended up in casualty - they were a bit stumped as to what to do with me.. They had never seen a case of potential hydrofluoric acid contact...

I'm still here and in generally excellent health but I do sometimes wonder if part of the root of why I'm like I am today may be connected...
Gibbo2286 wrote: I could walk to this place and rent a bike Jim. :) http://pedalabikeaway.co.uk/
What an excellent idea, we need more of those :D
Jim

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The Health and Safety Executive sometimes (no, always) needs education about what various materials can do. Somebody I knew was at a Radio Rally, picking up some bits. One stallholder had a lot of tin/lead solder (this was about a year before it was due to be banned). My friend bought a lot of it. Some jobsworth bureaucrap was in the area, and said something like "You know that is banned, don't you", and my friend corrected him, with the date when the ban was due. The bureaucrap wasn't put off, and made a comment that if my friend were caught with tin/lead solder he would be in trouble. He responded that he could easily use a reel a month, and he always was careful using it (as he knew it had lead in in). He then asked the jobsworth what the alternatives were, when the ban came into effect. The response was somewhat enlightening. One of the options was (and I am NOT joking) a cadmium based solder.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Tin/lead solder is not actually banned James and is still readily available for 'performing repairs on legacy equipment'...

Therefore I can still legally possess it and use it for repairs to my vintage wireless equipment...

It is very much banned for the manufacture of NEW equipment and must not be used for repairs to RoHS compliant equipments...

It's a good job you can still get it. Lead-free solder is rubbish...
Jim

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

That bureaucrap had the attitude that is was going to be banned, and (because he was hanging around stalls that sold the stuff) he was, in effect, driving away some people who might have bought it otherwise. The stallholders were not happy, but as the bureaucrap was from Trading Standards they could not do a lot about it.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

There was indeed intentions of it being banned a few years ago James and he was acting on the best information available to him at the time but luckily an outcry and some very good arguments from the industry saw any outright ban plans quietly dropped...

He was just doing his job...
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

CitroJim wrote:Tin/lead solder is not actually banned James and is still readily available for 'performing repairs on legacy equipment'...

Therefore I can still legally possess it and use it for repairs to my vintage wireless equipment...

It is very much banned for the manufacture of NEW equipment and must not be used for repairs to RoHS compliant equipments...

It's a good job you can still get it. Lead-free solder is rubbish...
I have several reels of it here, some bought within the last couple of months.