On TV...

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: On TV...

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Its always good when a programme captures your interest. Its more of a surprise these days :-D

Even more surprising when the presenter is none other than Jeremy Clarkson.

Speak as you find though, and this programme was very good, and told a story I wasn't aware of. Worth a watch if you missed it.

PQ17-An Arctic Convoy Disaster

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Will have to give that a go -( I have enjoyed several of Clarckson's "None-car related programs).

Also, our family GP was on the arctic convoys and I worked with a chap who had been on one of the three "Cruel Sea" corvettes - not the Compass Rose though. A fascinating raconteur!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Watched that and i was well worth it.
A harrowing story of men working in the most appalling conditions even if the bombs and torpedoes are disregarded.
Well done JC.
NewcastleFalcon

Juat about to watch Timeshift on BBC Four "Full Throttle-the Glory Days of British Motorbikes". Has a chance to be good :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b ... -episode-2
@ 8.35

Are they talking about an ACTIVA then ? :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

CitroJim wrote: 14 Feb 2018, 13:27 That looks good :) Shame it'll be infested with adverts though :twisted:
Lovely set of blacksmiths tools there... One of my uncles was a blacksmith and farrier... He had a very similar set.. Used to love watching him make the shoes on the forge and then fit them to big Shire Horses..
I could well imagine enjoying watching a Blacksmith at work, would grab my attention a lot longer than most of the dross on TV. The trick with the ads is to record the programmes first and and whizz thru 'em.

Me thinks Jeremy Clarkson is no fool outside of his Top Gear persona, quite liked the new lot with the high milers in the artic, but most of what little I've seen of it has been far too 'fast & furious' for me.
Puxa
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

This weeks' "Antiques Road Trip" features a white Renault Caravelle, similar to that featured in NewcastleFalcons' avatar. Registration WMC 1F
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
NewcastleFalcon

I like the Antiques Road Trip, the antique-y bits wash over me a bit but I like the travelling around to different parts of the country and the cars of course. I did notice the Caravelle James, and also picked up on it in another episode with Kathryn Southon in it. As this little clip shows...bit of a reluctant starter. I wonder if they film the cars in short bursts and then put them on a trailer to the next filming location, probably highly likely :-D

https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-ra ... reaks-down

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Austin Tilly truck getting the treatment on Car S.O.S. on C5 right now.

Coincidental that Gibbo mentioned such a truck (albeit a Hillman in his case) in the Car Trailer thread just yesterday.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

LJKS loved his Bristols (oo-err missus) more though. I don't think he ever said a bad word about them.

He was more than just a column writer on Car magazine though. The mag was originally published by a company called something like Force Four Publications. This was formed by four motoring writers of which LJKS was one. I can only remember one of the others, George Bishop, and I'm not going to go trawling through the internet to find the others at this time of night.

I used to read Car magazine a lot in the early days. One thing I particularly liked was that they didn't like Volvos at all!
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Just seen the trailer for this week's Top Gear, racing Citroen 2cvs by the look of it.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 12 Mar 2018, 21:12 Austin Tilly truck getting the treatment on Car S.O.S. on C5 right now.

Coincidental that Gibbo mentioned such a truck (albeit a Hillman in his case) in the Car Trailer thread just yesterday.

Regards Neil

I had a mate who ran the Austin version of the Tilly Neil, in fact it was him who found the Hillman for me, it cost me a fiver. :-D
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 12 Mar 2018, 21:12 Austin Tilly truck getting the treatment on Car S.O.S. on C5 right now.
I saw that (bits of it), did you get the impression that Fuzz has moved to new, considerably larger, premises?
Puxa
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

For those of you interested in taking things apart and putting them back to gether again - a new series of The Repair Shop has started on BBC2 this week.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08l581p

The basic premise of the series is that members of the public bring things in to be repaired by the various craftsmen and women . The 'things' can be just about anything :)
It's filmed at the Weald and Downland Living Museum very near to Goodwood. http://www.wealddown.co.uk/
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

Almost time for the weekly brain work out, Only Connect and University Challenge one after the other.

Caught a tiny bit of "Eggheads" earlier today, and became a bit concerned at the broader education of our youngsters.

Young chap 21ish, had passed through the education system without knowing that Englands Highest Mountain...Scafell Pike was in the Lake District! Still he probably knows much more than I do, and random facts about geographical features aren't that vital! I am left floundering on the obsession with Greek Mythology in University Challenge questions.

Questions are only easy if you know the answer of course.....Karl Marx struggled on his very first question

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey