On TV...

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Bangers and Cash

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 26 Mar 2019, 20:29 Matthewsons of classic auction fame, based at the gorgeous Thornton-le-Dale in North Yorkshire are to feature in "Bangers and Cash" on Yesterday TV Channel from April.

Now both on their doorstep and nearby there are some stunning and familiar locations to me, so that interspersed with classic cars, and stories of the people and the cars, they aren't going to have to try that hard to make a program thats going to capture my interest.

Its started on UKTV and elsewhere

https://uktvplay.uktv.co.uk/shows/bange ... tch-online

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Re: On TV...

Have to say I am really enjoying "Bangers and Cash" on UKTV Play-Yesterday Channel. Tonights episode (4) was particularly interesting. Followed the story of a Rover P6, a Mark II Jaguar, a Bond Bug and a Triumph Model P Motorcycle which was excellent.

Worth following, and right up my street. You can get UKTV Play for free on your computer or most folk will have it on their TV anyway.

https://uktvplay.uktv.co.uk/shows/bange ... tch-online
screenshot UKTV-Play "Bangers and Cash"
screenshot UKTV-Play "Bangers and Cash"
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

We went past there a couple of years ago and saw this queue of cars, was going to have a look but couldn't find anywhere to park. Its on the road from Pickering to Scarborough.

Peter
NewcastleFalcon

Another bit of TV for the old car/bike enthusiast. Last night was about an old Morris Ambulance. First time I'd come across it but there are loads of episodes.

and its predecessor series
Find it Fix it Flog it. Not always motor vehicles,

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/fin ... sode-guide

Based on my classic car spot yesterday of a Peugeot 205, I may well catch up on Series 1 episode 6

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/fin ... d:episodes
REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Its not often that Antiques Roadshow captures my interest, but on Sunday someone brought along this collection of original paintings. Quite familiar if you have found yourself paging through the tremendous old brochure resource on vauxpedia.

screenshot
screenshot
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

Thanks for that Neil "Bangers & Cash", I'd not noticed that one.

I've always liked Matthewsons, its a fabulous location and they replied when I asked the sale price of a rather rough looking 405 saloon a while back; apparently it failed to reach reserve but a deal was struck after the sale.

I've visited a couple of times, including having a look around their Museum, which is interesting and entry is cheap. If anyone's in the area, we also rather like the John Bull Rock Factory, nearby in Bridlington, where you can see the stuff being made.
Puxa
NewcastleFalcon

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur wrote: 16 Jun 2019, 11:05 Thanks for that Neil "Bangers & Cash", I'd not noticed that one.

The place, the people, the cars right up my street too. There's been 9 episodes on the bounce now for Series 1. They have been doing series 2 so I try to keep a low profile when I am kicking the tyres!

If you have missed a few the whole lot is here on catch up

https://uktvplay.uktv.co.uk/shows/bange ... ch-online/

Not on the TV, but at their last auction on June 1st, this Peugeot 505 remained unsold. Its open to offers up to a couple of weeks before the next auction. I expect if it is unsold it will be appearing in their next auction on July 6th. If you watch their website their catalogue rapidly fills up with interesting stuff. Loads of bikes as well, and on auction day its standing room only in the village....quite an event!

https://mathewsons.co.uk/auctions/aucti ... ot-505-gti

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur wrote: 16 Jun 2019, 11:05 Thanks for that Neil "Bangers & Cash", I'd not noticed that one.

I've always liked Matthewsons, its a fabulous location and they replied when I asked the sale price of a rather rough looking 405 saloon a while back; apparently it failed to reach reserve but a deal was struck after the sale.

I've visited a couple of times, including having a look around their Museum, which is interesting and entry is cheap. If anyone's in the area, we also rather like the John Bull Rock Factory, nearby in Bridlington, where you can see the stuff being made.

My two eldest daughters worked in the John Bull Rock Shop in Whitby when they were younger (school holidays). I had no idea that there was a factory in Brid.
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

Seems remarkable to me the 505 was unsold. Estimate for it looks cheap for a very rare car in superb condition. Would imagine, without looking on 'How Many Left' (which I think is not a reliable indicator) that I could count the amount of 505 Sal's remaining on my fingers & toes; possibly including Estates, too. Be hard to guess which is rarer now.

Sadly much as I could fancy something like that myself, two or more cars will never be practicable. I must time a visit up there to coincide with one of their Auctions though; would be an experience. Better leave the Credit Card at home!

Pic of the John Bull Rock Factory attached, I'm reminded a bit, revisiting this old pic; of the "Great Egg Race" TV Series of years ago. The machinery seems kinda wacky. Part of the experience involves making your own Stick of Rock, I believe I've got mine here somewhere (Teeth can't cope with the stuff!)

NB: also weird & wacky, driving along a wooden Pier at Ryde IOW. Surprised its possible.
Attachments
Bridlington John Bull Rock 4716.JPG
Puxa
NewcastleFalcon

If YouTube hasn’t got it, more than likely daily motion will

Full episode of Sun Probe. The classic Thunderbirds episode here

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

On TV..A303 Highway to the Sun.

Red Dwarfers was the first to put this little gem before the FCF. The link no longer works, but its a perennial favourite of BBC Four and was on again last night.
red_dwarfers wrote: 02 Mar 2013, 22:32 I've just been watching a documentary called A303 Highway to the Sun. It's a good watch for those who are familiar with it, very much a poetic look at the road which I liked. The music on the ending credits surprised me, a band called Kula Shaker wrote a song about it.

You can find your way home on the 303 8-)

New link
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0116ly6

and of course the Pickled Egg Jukebox has been updated with the Kula Shaker track :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

My Oz visitors left here yesterday heading for Tavistock, called me on arrival to say they'd had an hour at Weston super Mare on the way, so in the general direction of your link but I'd guess more M5 than A303
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

BBC Four Timeshift...Series 13 Episode 5: The Ladybird books Story:The Bugs that got Britain Reading

For me this is absolutely fascinating. In particular I really enjoy the artwork. All the illustrators contributed their own style but the particular revelation about the "Dan Dare" illustrator Frank Hampson, when pointed out is just brilliant.

"He brought a sinister frisson to the ladybird books of nursery rhymes"

His illustrations come from a different perspective.
screenshot
screenshot
Heres the link to the programme

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b ... in-reading

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Just started on BBC2 "Super Fast Falcon", about the Peregrine Falcon. It is a repeat, and I saw it last time it was on. A truly remarkable bird, capable of speeds around 200MPH, and with the ability of withstanding nearly 20G.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
NewcastleFalcon

Lazy Boy Garage

Lazy Boys Garage as trailed on the classics thread
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey