Car reliability by brand ?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Mandrake
My Cars:

Car reliability by brand ?

Post by Mandrake »

Came across this article:

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/car ... s-warranty

Of course the usual suspects (Japanese) came top of the list for reliability. Love them or hate them, you can't deny Japanese cars are reliable... (I've owned an 88 Honda Accord before and while it rusted a lot it was reliable as anything in other regards and never let me down)

Interesting to note that the big three German brands came in at 27, 28 and 29th most reliable - way lower than the reliability perceived by the general public, who put them in the top 10. It's always been my feeling that the German brands are not nearly as reliable as perceived.

Citroen actually came slightly ahead at 26, while Peugeot came 11th ??!

Some unanswered questions in my mind - how can Citroen come 26th and Peugeot 11th when they are basically the same cars ? Any Citroen and Peugeot made in the last 20 years or so share the same engines, gearboxes and electrical systems, pretty much, which I imagine would be the biggest source of breakdowns... Could the difference in breakdown reliability be due to Suspension ? :? Or could it be that Citroen's might tend to be treated as a cheap "banger" by more owners and not maintained as well ?

Numbers were gathered based on "the number of reported faults or breakdowns". What "reported faults" means, I'm not sure. Reported to who ? Does that include small things like for example a radio fault, faulty window winder etc reported to a dealer when under warranty ? What about small faults outside warranty repaired at the owners own cost at an indy ?

I suspect the figures are heavily biased towards "breakdowns", for example AA callouts for stranded cars etc... So does that mean a car that doesn't "break down" very often would be listed as very reliable, even if lots of small faults (like electrical accessories) that didn't cause the car to "break down" kept happening ?
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: Car reliability by brand ?

Post by Stickyfinger »

Don't forget Dealers and their "work" quality, it may effect the reliability records of the cars
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Stickyfinger wrote:Don't forget Dealers and their "work" quality, it may effect the reliability records of the cars
You shouldn't discount rubbish owners either.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Strangely enough I have a C5 and a 406, both with almost identical mechanics, the 406 has never put a foot wrong in 60,000 miles, the C5 on the other hand has broken down several times in about 20k.

Peter