WWYD-Minor dents and scratches?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

WWYD-Minor dents and scratches?

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Yes it's a "what would you do?" Dilemma

My eldest's Renault Clio has had a bit of denting and scratching incident down the passenger side while parked up. No note left unfortunately, only a feeling of irritation, and the prospect of additional expense to sort it out.

Anyone had any experience of chipsaway and their like? Bit wary of national franchises. My experience with a quote from auto glass, has probably coloured my judgement

I think a decent cosmetic job is all that's required, rather than a rolls royce restoration. The denting and scratching I would put in the minor category, but value sapping, and sickening nonetheless.

Insurance would cope with it, but the impact on future premiums, plus the excess probably much more expensive than getting it sorted out independently.

First point of call my local garage if they can,t do it they should know someone who can

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 11 Jan 2016, 15:38, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: WWYD-Minor dents and scratches?

Post by Stickyfinger »

Small local Indies (that have no paint-shop) will be able to recommend the best mobile service in your area......make a few calls.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Good advice from Sticky, with anything like this it comes down to the skill of the operator. I used my local Chipsaway bod who did an excellent job on a damaged and scuffed bumper. To be honest, given he did it outside in November is was just as good a job if not better than the body shop job I had to have 18 months later after a delivery van decided to attack the very same bumper.
NewcastleFalcon

Thanks for the replies, I'll do a bit of asking around and see what turns up.

Meantime......as you do....I've been on youtube...ranging from a bloke from Russia with a can of WD40 and a bit of kitchen roll "removing scratches", to paint stripping heat guns and cans of freeze spray, pry bars, suckers and slide hammers.

I do think the finish which is required is well beyond my capabilities and equipment, but I'll probably not be able to stop myself with a brief go at the "Russian" method!!! :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

DO not use WD40 (or like) on paint....it will discolour it ....and attract dust....and make it hard to paint later
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

The hot air gun and freeze can does work pretty well on dents without paint damage or creases. If it's creased and the paint is broken then a capable body man is needed, there are a few about, moonlighting from their day jobs.

I have a guy here in the Forest of Dean who is a master of the craft, not cheap but excellent.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Perhaps a bit far away for you Neil but for those in the east of England, one very highly recommended outfit for this kind of thing is Kidmans. Gareth, who runs the business, is an ex-Xantia and Activa owner and I've known him for years... He was also well known on this very forum... as Xantiaman.

He was the last owner of Davie's Silver Activa (S163LTR) before Chris, Citroenmad... Pervious to that he had one of my Activas... (W792 XKM)

He refurbished the alloys on my current Activa just before he went on his own - back in 2008 I think it was - and they still look as good today as they did then :D

He often posts up pictures of his work on Facebook..

Sadly, these days he no longer runs anything in French. His current toy is a very hot and tweaked Fiesta...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote:Perhaps a bit far away for you Neil but for those in the east of England, one very highly recommended outfit for this kind of thing is Kidmans. Gareth, who runs the business, is an ex-Xantia and Activa owner and I've known him for years... He was also well known on this very forum... as Xantiaman.
Hopefully that will be useful to others, just the type of of service we probably all need from time to time. Distance doesn't bother me that much, could combine it with a random weekend in Norwich, but I'll probably try the guy 250 yards away first :-D

I've had a talk with my local garage, just a question of letting them see the car, and giving me a price.

I wonder if "note-leaving" is now becoming rarer. Its a sickening business when through no fault of your own, you end up having to spend a couple of hundred quid or more to put things right.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Try the stores CCTv.....
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
NewcastleFalcon

No CCTV to help, it was on a residential street.

Some apparent success on you tube using these

Only £2.99 at ScrewFix

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey