C5 BOL

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

hirsty
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

C5 BOL

Post by hirsty »

I have recently bought the above and was expecting something similar to the previous one for my Xantia. On opening the wrapping, I discovered that the paper quality would shame recycled toilet roll. £20 quid and barely readable type did not impress me at all. :evil: :evil:
98 Xantia Mk2 2.0 16v Auto Exclusive 160k + Now gone to Citroen Heaven
2004 C5 Mk 1 2.0 8V VTR Estate - current. Now with leather.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: C5 BOL

Post by Peter.N. »

They don't tell you how to dismantle the gearbox and set up the crownwheel and pinion either.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The paper especially is now very poor..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

I am not surprised with a load of people posting copies on the internet for free, where is the financial intensive for quality or for that matter even producing it ?

There is NO chance this type of product will be made again, they are a legacy company now, we will all find soon this type of company/product will just close/disappear and then what will we have to moan about ?

Publishing paper is close to dead as there is little or no law left to protect private property......great thing the Internet egh ?
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It has its other side though Alasdair.. I dug out my old HF Amateur Radio Transceiver yesterday. Not seen the light of day for 20 years. Been in a box in the attic.

Anyway, hunted high and low and could not find the handbook for it. A search on the 'net brought up a PDF of both the handbook and the service manual in no time flat...

Free but I'd have been happy to pay as it got me out of a hole very easily...

The Transceiver works still... Not bad for something getting on for 40 years old now...

Morse from G4MEZ will soon be heard on the air again :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Maybe Jim, but that does not really help the publishers of "in-print" and protected works.

Take the great Google......
Report a copy download link, their solution is to publicise the link and say this link is has a "claim" against it ....go figure, you report a site, they help to make it easy to find on the search engines and do not remove it or break the link.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Stickyfinger wrote:Maybe Jim, but that does not really help the publishers of "in-print" and protected works.
I quite agree for stuff that is in print and is current. Indeed... Stuff that's years old, of interest to a very limited audience only and long obsolete is a different matter...

Indeed, Google is assisting in the infringement of copyright and that's bad.
Jim

Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I will listen out for you Jim - no more than 12 wpm though. :wink:
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

It's not just publishing its everything we create.
I've got 3 designs I 3d printed that I could set up injection moulding for and sell next week. There's no point though as China will just make them cheaper and bankrupt me. We actually use the designs on our work but secretively which is rubbish. It will be some time, if ever, before I can actually protect them and have a go at production.
The creative commons licencing has helped somewhat but only with non commercial ventures and I haven't seen the results of a case under cc yet.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote:I will listen out for you Jim - no more than 12 wpm though. :wink:
I'm aiming to get back to 20wpm Peter...

Are you active these days? I'm hoping to be up on 80m fairly soon..
Jim

Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Yep, but not very and certainly not on CW, I have to listen to a repeater about three times :oops: Let me know when you are on ssb 80 or 40m. Can work into the home counties on 2m fm according to conditions.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote:Let me know when you are on ssb 80 or 40m.
Problem at the moment Peter is I have no microphone for my rig... It seems to have gone missing along with the handbooks...

Got my key though ;)

I'll get a mic and make sure I can be up on SSB...

There'll be no 2m as I live in a black hole as anything above a few megs is concerned... :twisted:
Jim

Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

What make is it Jim, and what sort of plug does it have? there's just an outside chance that I might have one.

Perhaps Haynes do a manual for it :wink:

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote:What make is it Jim, and what sort of plug does it have? there's just an outside chance that I might have one.
If you have Peter, that'll be wonderful :D

It's for a Trio (Kenwood) TS520...

Standard Japanese 4 pin microphone connector..

Like this one

Thanks!
Jim

Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I will have a look tomorrow Jim, I'm going out shortly. I think I have some CB mikes with that plug, don't know what they are like though.

Peter