Picture(s) of the day....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Picture(s) of the day....

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 19 Jan 2019, 21:50 The Vanden Plas Princess 3-Litre Mk II is picture of the day over on oldclassiccar.com today. (Edit-just noticed the double mirrors door and wing!)
Vanden-Plas Princess 3-litre MkII rear
Redsimon at English Wikipedia [CC BY 2.5 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.5)]

It morphed into the Vanden Plas Princess 4 Litre R. So what did the R stand for? and has it ever been repeated before or since?

Vanden-Plas Princess 4-litre R tail
Redsimon at English Wikipedia [CC BY 2.5 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.5)]

Regards Neil

Would you believe it....A 1967 Prinbcess 4-litre R is up for auction ay Coys at The London Classic Car Show
London, UK 16 - 17 February, 2019 .....ex Harold Wilson Ministerial Car!

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I enjoyed an excellent 73 mile ride to Jordan's Mill near Biggleswade with a group of friends yesterday in the lovely fine weather 8-)
Own Work
Own Work
Own Work
Own Work
Very well worth a visit...

We went there primarily as our cafe stop and did not visit the attractions - that's for next time - but I did spot this engine outside...
Own Work
Own Work
Own Work
Own Work
I have no further details of it but I expect i soon will :)

Great to see some early spring flowers out :D
Own Work
Own Work
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: 13 Feb 2019, 05:42 - but I did spot this engine outside...

Graces Guide is good for these historical industrial matters. Company information, old photographs/adverts.

So, just a few miles down, or across the road, from your good self, you will find the charming little settlement of Bedford. Home since 1894 to W.H. Allen and its successors. In 1989 it became part of Rolls-Royce and right up to date Allen Diesels Limited continue to trade out of its Bedford base.

"With over a century of engine manufacturing experience, the Allen brand has become synonymous with quality and reliability in the world of medium speed diesel engines. This proud heritage is being continued by Allen Diesels Ltd, who have acquired the intellectual property, technical information and know-how for the Allen diesel, gas and crude burning engine ranges that was previously owned by Rolls-Royce Power Engineering Ltd."

and to keep it visual....here is an example of their work. Described as a c1927. 70 hp 2-stroke semi-diesel engine. Could well grace the interesting unusal engines thread. Exhibit at Internal Fire Museum of Power, Tan-y-groes, Ceredigion Wales

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 13 Feb 2019, 09:27
CitroJim wrote: 13 Feb 2019, 05:42 - but I did spot this engine outside...

Graces Guide is good for these historical industrial matters. Company information, old photographs/adverts.

So, just a few miles down, or across the road, from your good self, you will find the charming little settlement of Bedford. Home since 1894 to W.H. Allen and its successors. In 1989 it became part of Rolls-Royce and right up to date Allen Diesels Limited continue to trade out of its Bedford base.
Wow! Thanks Neil :) That is truly excellent! Very much a local engine for Jordans Mill then!

Rode a very hilly route yesterday...

We ended up at this place - looks like a bit of an old 'greasy spoon' but the food is in fact excellent 😋
Own Work
Own Work
The badly placed silver car made parking our bikes difficult and we had to lift them over it...

Someone on Facebook loved this car, a Volvo allegedly 😂 Shows how things have got with me now.. I just saw a silver car... I made no mental note of what it was, paid any attention to it or took interest in it - only that it was a car in our way!

Cars now, unless they are old, usually French and interesting, have slipped right out of my consciousness and interest.

The food was good... Omelette followed by cake - I needed the calories for climbing all the hills thereabouts...

The Sharpenhoe Clappers and Sundon Hill amongst others :) I love hills!
Own Work
Own Work
Own Work
Own Work
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: 14 Feb 2019, 05:40 Someone on Facebook loved this car, a Volvo allegedly 😂

Cars now, unless they are old, usually French and interesting, have slipped right out of my consciousness and interest.

Those facebook and instagram likes are ten a penny. :-D

Here is an old and interesting French car, but look at the state of it....the guide price though absolutely unbelievable......£130,000 to £165,000

for sale by Historics at their auction at Ascot Racecourse 2nd March 2019.
1963 Facel-Vega II

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Now that is what I regard as an interesting car 😁😎💛
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

It was the final throw of Facel Vega, not many were built, they were very expensive, and the catalogue of high profile owners added to its exclusivity, and its "value" now.

The front end does remind me of the Aston Martin Lagonda Rapide of the early 1960's.
screenshot
screenshot
There were even less lagonda rapides built, and would you believe it someone commissioned a shooting brake conversion....by some firm in Barnard Castle Co Durham.

Lagonda Rapide Shooting Brake front
Redsimon [CC BY 3.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0)], from Wikimedia Commons

If you want 6 minutes of nostalgic entertainment heres the 1962 Motor Show packed with UK manufacturers. It starts with this line of commentary....."Prophets are saying that this motor show at Earls Court is the last one with Britain outside the Common Market" ... er not quite as it turned out!

Its in technicolor too!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I came across one of those in Barwicks scrap yard at West Kingsdown many years ago, had a dashboard like Concord. It belonged to, not John Pertwee, but the other one, Bill was it? It had been written off in an accident on the A20 some where near Brands Hatch.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I had a rest day yesterday do no running or cycling...

I went for a lovely walk in the gorgeous weather and here's a few POTD candidates I'm rather happy with :D

On the River Lovat...
Own Work
Own Work
Own Work
Own Work
Our church from castle Meadow...
Own Work
Own Work
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: 15 Feb 2019, 06:19 I went for a lovely walk in the gorgeous weather and here's a few POTD candidates I'm rather happy with :D

On the River Lovat...

Lovely stuff Jim. Now, when I used to see the alfresco outdoor seating in Newcastle in winter, in spite of some cafe supplied blankets, I thought come on who are you trying to kid, we are 55 degrees North not the south of France.

but yesterday.....we indulged in it down by the Tyne at Dunston Staithes and it was gorgeous! LOvely spot, and very popular...all the indoor seats were taken so we went onto the terrace overlookong the river outside. Bit of industrial heritage, bit of birdwatching plenty activity of cyclists runners and walkers on the riverside route, lemon and elderflower cake, chocolate brownie, and a couple of posh coffees!

So in times gone by this was Dunston Staithes......
nf ownwork
nf ownwork
Today
dunston staithes mow
dunston staithes mow

Regards Neil
dunston staithes café
dunston staithes café
Last edited by myglaren on 15 Feb 2019, 09:29, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Image rotated
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

^ Driven past that lot hundreds of time and often wondered what it was.
NewcastleFalcon

I've entitled this subliminal message
Subliminal message
Subliminal message
..but lets not get too arty and clever...

Its a beautiful day today for most of the UK and beyond so take the plunge...

Become a participator on POTD and get out with your camera! Even half a dozen active participators increases the interest and flow of the forum.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 15 Feb 2019, 09:46 I've entitled this subliminal message

Got it! :D

On my bike ride around scenic rural Bedfordshire yesterday I finally got to take a picture of one of these...
Own Work
Own Work
Many villages seem to have them, this one in Stevington...

I have no idea what they are... They are made of cast iron. They do not appear that old and have a removable lid via a triangular key similar to a household meter box...

Are they decorative or do they have a use? I don't know but would love to!

I'm sure the readers of POTD will not disappoint me :)
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

geograph stamped image
geograph stamped image
I thought Fire Hydrant at first, but this geograph image from another Bedfordshire Village describes them thus..
I originally described this as a fire hydrant, but another contributor has sensibly suggested that it would be better described as a standpipe, intended for providing drinking water rather than firefighting.

This example is by Glenfield & Kennedy of Kilmarnock, a very respected name in waterworks fittings

Glenfield and Kennedy were major manufacturers of "Lion drinking fountains"

regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 16 Feb 2019, 10:14, edited 2 times in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: 16 Feb 2019, 05:14 On my bike ride around scenic rural Bedfordshire yesterday I finally got to take a picture of one of these...
Are they decorative or do they have a use? I don't know but would love to!...I'm sure the readers of POTD will not disappoint me :)
There is probably too much from that little seed! I'll not fill the forum with it. A link from that geograph image points to a blog entitled "The Green Lion" from someone in Spain . I don't know much Spanish, but the design of the ones in Bedfordshire, made in Scotland suggests that the Kilmarnock firm were active in the export market.

Here's a couple of examples nicked from the blog, from Spain and one which I presume is in the Falkland Islands.
REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey