Picture(s) of the day....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Picture(s) of the day..

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 14 May 2018, 08:53
CitroJim wrote: 14 May 2018, 08:25
As a cyclist, that bit of road looks like a true delight :D

I am quite confident that you, with the assistance of those "diesel legs" could easily exceed that 24 mph speed limit!

Regards Neil

I'd love to try Neil, 24mph might be a bit to hope for but 24kph might be achievable ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Dug this up from wiki just in case my claim of doing 45mph downhill on this in 1975 would be subject to challenge! 3 speed Sturmey Archer bog standard bike circa 1975!

Cycling speed records
The highest speed officially recorded for any human-powered vehicle (HPV) on level ground and with calm winds and without external aids (such as motor pacing and wind-blocks, but including a defined amount of gravity assist) is 144.18 km/h (89.59 mph) set in 2016 by Todd Reichert in the Eta Speedbike, a streamlined recumbent bicycle.[11] In the 1989 Race Across America, a group of HPVs crossed the United States in just 5 days.[12][13][14][15] The highest speed officially recorded for a bicycle ridden in a conventional upright position under fully faired conditions was 82.52 km/h (51.28 mph) over 200 m.[16] That record was set in 1986 by Jim Glover on a Moulton AM7 at the Human Powered Speed Championships during Expo86 World Fair in Vancouver.
Don't know how up to date those records are but 51.28mph on a Moulton AM7 in 1986 still standing unsurpassed today? Wonder what Jim Glover had for breakfast that day :-D

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 14 May 2018, 09:56, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I know 45mph on a decent bike given a hill and a decent tailwind is very possible Neil :)

I've not been that fast as frankly I find anything over 30mph on a bike utterly terrifying :evil:

Hence, I get through plenty of brake pads!!!

35mph was the fastest I've ever gone on a bike and that was bad enough...

During sportives I have loads of bike come flying past me going downhill only for me to then re-pass them going up the next hill :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I rode this yesterday to test the off-road capabilities of my new bike...
Own Work
Own Work
The bike performed marvellously on the trails, some of which are very rough :)

The sceneray along this ride is spectacular and takes in most of the linear parks in Milton Keynes... It spends a while meandering along the canal towpath...

You'd never know you were in a big urban town for the most part but one short section really lets you know - it skirts a very rough sink estate and passes through a very nasty part of an industrial area (aptly named Bleak Hall) before plunging back into tranquil parkland near the MK Bowl..

Well worth a ride...
Jim

MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

For those interested in diesel locomotives - a collection of photos in our local paper today from a recent 3-day "diesel gala and beer festival".
http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/1 ... -day_gala/
Last edited by MikeT on 15 May 2018, 10:20, edited 1 time in total.
NewcastleFalcon

Lovely photo's Mike, nice to see Sir John Betjeman and The Flying Dustman were there :!:

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

A great set of photos, Mike. Didn't realise London Transport also ran a diesel; knew about Battery locos, but presumable only for shunting.
Chris
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

MikeT wrote: 15 May 2018, 09:22 For those interested in diesel locomotives - a collection of photos in our local paper today from a recent 3-day "diesel gala and beer festival".
http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/1 ... -day_gala/

Fantastic Mike, thoroughly enjoying those :D

I'm a great fan of old diesels...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Great day out today in North Yorkshire, loads of "classic cars", three "AA Village signs" bagged, and some lovely "places to stop off at" so plenty to contribute to the appropriate threads on the OTCL.

Now this Church must have the largest Blue-Faced Clock in the Country. The Squatness of the building exacerbates the effect. Just round the corner is the Aldborough Dairy where one of the AA Village Signs in situ is on the wall.
Aldborough Church nr Borobridge N.Yorks
Aldborough Church nr Borobridge N.Yorks
Yes that should be Boroughbridge not Borobridge!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

No way the good parishioners of Boroughbridge could ever forget the time with a lovely clock like that!

Does it strike and chime too?
Jim

Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

CitroJim wrote: 14 May 2018, 09:55 I know 45mph on a decent bike given a hill and a decent tailwind is very possible Neil :)

Yes, and ridiculously, they can do it without wearing any protective clothing at all. I saw a guy yesterday out on a roadie, no shirt, lycra shorts, cycling shoes with either no sock or trainer socks....

... and a helmet.

I believe that his head was empty anyway. Gravel rash would have been his biggest worry..
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: 16 May 2018, 05:44 No way the good parishioners of Boroughbridge could ever forget the time with a lovely clock like that!

Does it strike and chime too?

Just noticed it Jim the clock reads roughly 20 to 3. Its miles out! It was the last call on our little trip yesterday so it must have been at least 20 to 7!. Didn't stop for the chimes but one reputed fact.....
.....the clock itself could well have the longest pendulum of any church clock in England!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

..and a bit more on the Church Clock
tripadvisor sceenshot
tripadvisor sceenshot
The translation!

The clock was made by M.Climeshaw in 1863. The Great Pendulum is 30ft. 7 ins. long. It is thought to be the longest in Great Britain. To accommodate its unusual length a pit 6 ft deep had to be made in the ground under the tower. The time of the pendulum swing is 3.04 seconds and this is practically constant. The clock keeps excellent time and is hardly affected by the variations of weather temperatures. It has been calculated that the clock has made 1800,000,000 (one thousand eight hundred million) ticks since it was installed in 1783 and is still young yet.
Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 16 May 2018, 08:51, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 16 May 2018, 08:15 ..and a bit more on the Church Clock

aldclock.jpg
The translation!

The clock was made by M.Cumeshaw in 1863. The Great Pendulum is 30ft. 7 ins. long. It is thought to be the longest in Great Britain. To accommodate its unusual length a pit 6 ft deep had to be made in the ground under the tower. The time of the pendulum swing is 3.04 seconds and this is practically constant. The clock keeps excellent time and is hardly affected by the variations of weather temperatures. It has been calculated that the clock has made 1800,000,000 (one thousand eight hundred million) ticks since it was installed in 1783 and is still young yet.
Regards Neil

Magical! The longer the pendulum the better the timekeeping... I know that from my own longcase clocks compared to my mantle clocks... My longcase ones with their long pendulums keep excellent time and rarely need adjustment...

I can't live without ticking clocks... It's been an constant in my life since the very day I was born...
Jim

Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

CitroJim wrote: 16 May 2018, 08:41
I can't live without ticking clocks... It's been an constant in my life since the very day I was born...

I love sitting in your living room Jim, listening to all the ticking. It's very relaxing!