Picture(s) of the day....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Picture(s) of the day..

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Come on FCF' ers get your cameras out!

In the meantime, an absolutely gorgeous photo of a car part
n falcon own work
n falcon own work
and the significance of the said car part

Read all about it! on one of the FCF's least visited!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

POTD...The Red Clock List

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 21 Jul 2017, 15:07
Red Church Clocks
St Andrews, Fife , Scotland St Salvator's Chapel University of St Andrews
Brancaster, Norfolk, England St Mary The Virgin
Lower Dunsforth North Yorkshire, England St Mary's Church. Lower Dunsforth North Yorkshire.
Broughton, Northamptonshire, England St Andrews Parish Church
Cranfield, Bedfordshire, England Church of St Peter and St Paul
Barwick in Elmet, West Yorkshire, England All Saints Chirch
additions
All Saints Hunmanby Near Filey Yorkshire
St Martin's Brampton Cumbria
Others College Street Dublin...above Costa!
Brampton-Spotted today
N Falcon 11/4/2018
N Falcon 11/4/2018

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Lovely clock Neil... I like that :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Advertising Interlude...
The Pickled Egg Library

Read anything interesting...pass it on. Deposit it at

The Pickled Egg Library
the latest deposit.....Everything you ever wanted to know about UK police cars but were afraid to ask including some nice old adverts like this....

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Definite winner for Picture of the Day thanks to Davie

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=55157&start=225#p573953

Remaining unclaimed....a couple left from Wales, 1 from Devon, and 1 from Grasmere in Cumbria. Then there is the piece de resistance,,,,,,Trinity in Jersey.

Anyone taking up the challenge?

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

This has just arrived in the post :D
Own Work
Own Work
My bib for the Milton Keynes Marathon in May :)

I was going to do the full marathon but chickened out a few months ago and swapped to doing the half...

I'm still not sure I have a full marathon in me but still hold out hope I may next year... Maybe London 2019...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 08:10 My bib for the Milton Keynes Marathon in May :)
5336?

Random Link.....where there's numbers there's usually a locomotive picture!

http://www.ambaile.org.uk/en/asset/show ... sset=26761

Thats D5336 (a diesel obviously) taking on water at Aberfeldy Brief story of the photo here for those interested
Spoiler: show
The locomotive is taking water from the old Highland Railway water crane installed to provide for steam engines. This is a standard Highland Railway column now missing its cap. These had a dual column to allow a burner to be put in to stop the pipe freezing in winter. Diesels needed water for boilers for the steam heating in the carriages.

D5336 is a Birmingham Railway Carriage and Wagon Company Type 2 (later class 26) diesel. These and British Railways built class 24 dominated the Highland scene from mid-1960 through the 60's and 70's. Note the tablet catcher fitted to the locomotive for single line working. This is the last month of freight working to Aberfeldy.

Aberfeldy station was the terminus of the 14 kilometre long Aberfeldy branch which left the main line at Ballinluig. It opened on 3 July 1865, closing to passengers almost a century later on 3 May 1965, goods traffic having ceased on 26 January that year.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 27 Apr 2018, 21:22
CitroJim wrote: 24 Apr 2018, 08:10 My bib for the Milton Keynes Marathon in May :)
5336?

Random Link.....where there's numbers there's usually a locomotive picture!

http://www.ambaile.org.uk/en/asset/show ... sset=26761

Neil, that's lovely! I do like a nice Class 26 :D

I shall think of that on when running and will try to run like it... I will be taking on water and no doudbt at the end I'll have steam coming out of my ears :lol:

An early diesel locomotive (about the same age as I) is appropriate as I get called 'diesel legs' on account of my cycling style when climbing hills...
Jim

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I took a recce ride to Stadium-MK this afternoon, the home of the MK Dons football team and the HQ for the MK Marathon on Monday.

I needed to confirm I knew the route and how long the ride would take on the morning of the marathon.

Both now nicely established... I'm cycling to and from the venue as there is no way I'm driving there...

On my way home I rode the scenic route and had to stop and get this picture of St. Marys Church in Woughton On The Green, an old village subsumed into the greater Milton Keynes...

I have to confess I rather like this picture...
Own Work
Own Work
Edit: Shame about the green wheelie-bin that photobombed the picture :evil: I ought to have moved it...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Excellent POTDing Jim!

Thats "picture postcard" stuff, but with that delicate eye for the composition with the shadows on the tarmac!

.and for the "Clock spotter" the interest of the diamond shaped clock with the black face.

Regards Neil

PS.....I note from another thread we have this quote......
CitroJim wrote: 30 Apr 2018, 12:38 I'm so hardcore that I stop on a bike ride to take photos of various bits of disused railway infrastructure to post into one of the groups I follow on Facebook!

Bagged a lovely viaduct yesterday :) (my emphasis!)

POTD is the perfect receptacle for such things never mind your "facebook" friends!!! :-D
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks Neil, I was lucky with that one... No real thought as to composition.. I was balancing my bike between my legs straddling a traffic island when I took it... No finesse at all... A pure fluke...

But don't modern 'phones take some great pictures :D
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 01 May 2018, 17:54
CitroJim wrote: 30 Apr 2018, 12:38 I'm so hardcore that I stop on a bike ride to take photos of various bits of disused railway infrastructure to post into one of the groups I follow on Facebook!

Bagged a lovely viaduct yesterday :) (my emphasis!)

POTD is the perfect receptacle for such things never mind your "facebook" friends!!! :-D

I guess I'd better post it then... ;)

This is it... On the old Great Central just outside the village of Helmdon in Northamptonshire and taken in atrocious weather during my 'century' ride on Sunday...
Own Work
Own Work
I just adore these lovely old blue-brick structures...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Excellent Jim :-D

Here's a pic I took at Beadnell (only about 100M from the AA Box!). The "awful" ford ranger camper was parked just behind. The "in the raw" photo was a bit dark so I started faffing about with it on picasa. Came across the "pencil sketch" editing function and came up with this.
sketch1.jpg
DSC00083.JPG
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: 01 May 2018, 18:20
This is it... On the old Great Central just outside the village of Helmdon in Northamptonshire and taken in atrocious weather during my 'century' ride on Sunday...

gcrhelmdon.jpg

I just adore these lovely old blue-brick structures...

Well Jim, a small bit of digging reveals that the Helmdon Viaduct was built by Walter Scott and Co. of Newcastle, and what's more the Saddletank Locomotive named "NEWCASTLE" is pictured here at Helmdon in 1897 working on the contract to build the Viaduct. Leicestershire Council have watermarked it with their logo and dont allow direct copying of it (do they ever ask themselves why?) so here's a link edit- forget it it doesn't work, they obviously dont want the wider general public to find their precious images!

link edited out!

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 02 May 2018, 19:35, edited 2 times in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

..and for the brick-lover, if you had managed to get a bit closer Jim, the bricks do make some nice patterns
screen shot from http://www.forgottenrelics.co.uk/bridges/gallery/helmdon.html
screen shot from http://www.forgottenrelics.co.uk/bridges/gallery/helmdon.html
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's one thing I really love about Victorian engineering Neil, those patterns may serve no purpose in the overall scheme of things but by gosh they look lovely and shows that a lot of pride and dare I say it - love - was taken in their construction - something sadly missing today...

The pride and love was by no means limited to railway infrastructure; it came across in all they did...

The link you supplied won't open... I get a 403 forbidden :(
Jim