Picture(s) of the day....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Picture(s) of the day..

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Were there any earlier Car Stereo Cassette AM/FM car radios?

As fitted to some Mercedes Vehicles 1970.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 10 Dec 2017, 21:49 Were there any earlier Car Stereo Cassette AM/FM car radios?

As fitted to some Mercedes Vehicles 1970.

Regards Neil

I was looking at the 1997 Merc SL at work the other day - a huge chunk of the centre console between the arm rest and the gear shift lever was taken up with a built-in cassette storage rack. Is there anything else that can be usefully stored in a cassette storage rack these days ? :lol:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Bobins, I've still got some tapes in their original wraps too and I discover they're still manufactured and not at all hard to purchase...

A pal of mine told me he bought a new album on a pre-recorded cassette the other day; maybe cassettes are staging a niche comeback like vinyl did...

Look where vinyl is now - maybe cassettes are due to head the same way perhaps?
Last edited by CitroJim on 11 Dec 2017, 05:33, edited 1 time in total.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 10 Dec 2017, 21:49 Were there any earlier Car Stereo Cassette AM/FM car radios?

First one came out in 1968 Neil...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

There was news of a tape resurgence a little while before vinyl began its comeback.
I still have unopened metal tapes too (That's (Toyo Yuden - look up the price of their CDs :shock: ))
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote: 11 Dec 2017, 05:43 I still have unopened metal tapes too (That's (Toyo Yuden - look up the price of their CDs :shock: ))

I looked up the price of their CDs Steve. Yes, I am shocked! I'm sure they sound brilliant though... Much better than a cheap CD-R from Tesco ;)

Not as shocked as I was when I looked up the price of their metal cassettes though - they still make them...

They go for somewhere north of £22 :shock: :shock:

Mind you, all Type IV metal cassettes are bloody expensive these days...
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I do have some of their premium CDs, bought years ago and I'm too stingy to actually use them :(
NewcastleFalcon

Now this or something very like this arrived at Christmas 1970 ish together with a c60 blank cassette and the pre-recorded "Spinners-Live Performance".

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... ff6bf0.jpg

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote: 11 Dec 2017, 06:01 I do have some of their premium CDs, bought years ago and I'm too stingy to actually use them :(

Same with my still-wrapped cassettes - I'm recycling lots of dad's ones that contain music I hate with a passion. He was deeply into Country and Western... I'm definitely not and it makes me what to retch...
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 11 Dec 2017, 06:14 Now this or something very like this arrived at Christmas 1970 ish together with a c60 blank cassette and the pre-recorded "Spinners-Live Performance".

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... ff6bf0.jpg

Regards Neil
Neil, I used to have exactly that model and not only that, I've repaired hundreds of them as many of my school friends had them..

That was one of the very first cassette recorders. It came out in 1968 and was such a successful design it remained substantially unchanged well into the mid-70s...

Philips audio stuff was bloody good. I still run a very early Philips CD player - the CD160
cd160player.jpg
It contains a Digital to Analogue converter (DAC) that has achieved legendary status amongst Audiophiles - the TDA 1541.

I'm currently looking deeply into how CD players work again as I have two duff ones in for repair... Happy days... The old Philips ones use very clever and extensive error correction and can play discs that are so damaged no other player will touch them. I have a CD with a big hole in it caused by 'bit-rot' and my old CD160 still plays it perfectly... A good job as it's one of my all-time favourites... The Eagles Hotel California...
Jim

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I've still got a portable tape player like the one pictured above and a Spanish language course on tape to go with it, I've also got and old Amstrad deck with radio, turntable and two tape players built in so that you can copy from one to the other.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 11 Dec 2017, 11:18 I've still got a portable tape player like the one pictured above and a Spanish language course on tape to go with it, I've also got and old Amstrad deck with radio, turntable and two tape players built in so that you can copy from one to the other.

Excellent! Did you ever learn Spanish?

If you did not want the Philips Cassette Recorder Gibbo, I'd love to acquire it to add to my vintage wireless/electronics collection and bring back some really good memories of them...

It does not need to be in working order...
Jim

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

CitroJim wrote: 11 Dec 2017, 11:28
Gibbo2286 wrote: 11 Dec 2017, 11:18 I've still got a portable tape player like the one pictured above and a Spanish language course on tape to go with it, I've also got and old Amstrad deck with radio, turntable and two tape players built in so that you can copy from one to the other.

Excellent! Did you ever learn Spanish? Un poco :)

If you did not want the Philips Cassette Recorder Gibbo, I'd love to acquire it to add to my vintage wireless/electronics collection and bring back some really good memories of them...

It does not need to be in working order...

It's not Philips Jim it's Jones but very much the same thing. It still works and I still use it occasionally when the mood 's right.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
harryp
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Forte HDI 110 hatch in wicked red, SORN
Exclusive HDI hatch in quartz, SORN
C4 Picasso Exc E, Wifes
Peugeot 207cc

Post by harryp »

Not sure if this the correct place, but randomly saw this....
Quite a scenic ride?? :-D
Regards, Harry

2000 Nov Forte HDI 110 hatch in Wicked Red; currently SORN
2000 Mar Exclusive HDI hatch in Quartz; currently SORN
2013 C4 Picasso Excl E
Peugeot 207cc 1.6 Roland Garros
NewcastleFalcon

No chance of going off topic on POTD Harry :-D

Looks like it's just business as usual when the railways are a couple of feet deep in snow in Norway! even on the steepest normal guage railway in Northern Europe!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

What have you found out today you didn't know yesterday?

That Class B17 Steam Locomotives of the LNER designed by Sir Nigel Gresley had some interesting names....including original number 2858, which was built at Darlington works May 1936, given its name, and then renamed one month later in June 1936 to "The Essex Regiment". Remarkably this collection of LNER photographs on the net actually has a photo of it as it emerged ex-works with the original Nameplate in situ.

None of this class of locos remain in preservation, and most were scrapped in the late 1950's, but some of the nameplates were presented to the clubs when they were scrapped.

...and here it is

https://transportsofdelight.smugmug.com ... -2K98nvw/A

Yes I'll shove that collection into the PE Library just so I can find it again!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey