Picture(s) of the day....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Re: Picture(s) of the day..

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I've not seen one of these before on the ground in my garden, used to have them in the trees at my last place. Took this on Tuesday.
Attachments
IMGP1644.JPG
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Gosh, that's amazing :D One very beautiful woodpecker!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

I like my birds, and the green woodpecker is always a joy to see...great photo Gibbo.

Geograph's subject of picture of today is the Bass Rock.

According to the blurb with this photo 10% of the worlds Gannet population reside on this relatively small lump of rock poking out of the sea near North Berwick in East Lothian.
bass rock.jpg
Have sailed past it before, but never realised someone had actually built a castle on it dating back to 1405. The lighthouse as avid POTD followers will not be surprised to know was built by one of the "lighthouse Stevensons".
from Wiki
The Bass Rock Lighthouse on Bass Rock is a 20-metre (66 ft) lighthouse, built in 1902 by David Stevenson, who demolished the 13th-century keep, or governor's house, and some other buildings within the castle for the stone.
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I'm always most interested in lighthouses.. I looked a bit deeper into the Bass Rock light and was intrigued by this:
Until the automation [in 1988] the lighthouse was lit by incandescent gas obtained from vaporised paraffin oil converted into a bunsen gas for heating a mantle. Since that time a new biform ML300 synchronised bifilament 20-watt electric lamp has been used
A 20 watt bulb seems very small and feeble for a lighthouse light. I would have expected it to have been some ten times this at least...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

It would depend on what was available at the time. However, don't forget the powerful lenses that lighthouses also use.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

The latest addition to my vintage wireless collection...

The very pinnacle of 1950s Hi-Fi... A high-end radiogram 8-)

It's not stereo but does sound bloody awesome courtesy of those three speakers :)

It's around 60 years old and is an early example of a wireless capable of receiving the then very new VHF/FM Band II broadcasts back when they were known as the Light Programme, Third and the Home Service :)
Own Work
Own Work
Own Work
Own Work
Own Work
Own Work
It all works but the record deck - an early autochanger - requires a good service as all its lubrication has long since dried out...

I am absolutely delighted with it :)

It came my way due to the space it was previously occupying being required for an Invacar project...

Finally, here it is in pride of place in my lounge along with one of my favourite and most-loved vintage wirelesses...
Own Work
Own Work
Both the Cossor radiogram and the Bush wireless sitting on top of it are around the same age (c. 1957) and both together would have set a purchaser back about 100 Guineas in 1957...
Jim

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

So, winning a famous horse race at Newmarket would allow you to buy twenty such setups then?
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 20 Jan 2018, 16:34 So, winning a famous horse race at Newmarket would allow you to buy twenty such setups then?

Hey, yes... I like it James :D

I'm wondering now just how many of our readers know what a guinea is? I don't think they've been used as a currency for a good 50 years now...

I believe it was always the expensive luxury goods (and that radiogram surely was one of those) that were priced in guineas but oddly cars never were as far as I know...
Jim

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I just checked, and my memory was correct. A guinea was worth (on the old, pre-decimalisation currency) one pound and one shilling.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 20 Jan 2018, 16:55 I just checked, and my memory was correct. A guinea was worth (on the old, pre-decimalisation currency) one pound and one shilling.

That's it James.. £1.05 in modern language...

I just checked and they went out of general use in 1971 upon the UK going decimal on the 15th February of that year...

But, in a tenuous link to your earlier mention of Newmarket, horses are still traded in guineas to this day...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Theres nothing like a bit of "Through the Keyhole" (although for me it is totally unwatchable with Keith Lemon who I just don't "get" at all :-D )

A possible I-Spy Citroen H Vans if I am not mistaken.
anything but my own work but if the copyright holder objects I'll take it down!
anything but my own work but if the copyright holder objects I'll take it down!
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 20 Jan 2018, 17:15 A possible I-Spy Citroen H Vans if I am not mistaken.

You are definitely not mistaken Neil :) It is two of several H Van models I have...

Can you identify the other cars keeping the H Vans company?

A little clue is that they are all Citroens...

EDIT: Except one... But it's French and from the same stable ;)
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

I'll give it a go, but not being the primary subject of the photo I think some may be a bit fuzzy!

James' little aside into "Guineas" had me looking up the article on wiki about them. Originally a gold coin, and known as a Guinea because that was an important source of the precious metal.

Goes into some detail, but I liked the little fact about the early coins produced like these

1686-Guinea-elephant-and-castle-James-II [Public domain], by Royal Mint, from Wikimedia Commons

The fascinating bit for me is the "Elephant and Castle" on the face of the coin (under the head-easy not to notice it). The Castle bit comes from the "Howdah" the "seat" on the top of the Elephant, part of the Coat of Arms of The Royal African Company

Look up the Wiki page for the area of London known as "The Elephant and Castle" (lovely quirky name) and it just refers to an old coaching inn of that name rather than digging back further to see where the name of the Inn came from.

anyway..back to your model cars but I enjoyed my diversion!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I just love the incredibly varied and interesting subjects this thread (and others in the OTCL) visit... It is simply magical :D
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

CitroJim wrote: 20 Jan 2018, 17:17 [
Can you identify the other cars keeping the H Vans company?

A little clue is that they are all Citroens...

EDIT: Except one... But it's French and from the same stable ;)

This is my best effort, since doing it I think I have got the ones marked impossible.

Look like remote controls to me!
cars.jpg
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey