Picture(s) of the day....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Picture(s) of the day...join in-its free & easy!

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 21 Sep 2017, 08:14 The quality of that is excellent Jim, can't even see the very long selfie stick in the image :-D

I guess it must have been taken with a remote control minature selfie drone.

No, it was taken by one of the official sportive photographers kneeling by the side of the road with a tripod-mounted camera of some size and complexity... They chose some good locations...

There was a photographic drone flying around at the start/finish area of the sportive but I have not seen any footage from it yet...

It might be good to see any footage from FCF member's drones in this thread perhaps?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Spotted this lovely old-style country garage out on a bike ride today...

It does a roaring trade too... Must have a good local reputation...
Own Work
Own Work
They still sell fuel too...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

talking of garages, a couple of my favourite garage scenes...

...and a humorous place name too.

Garages are Lochearnhead and "Caernarfon to Llanberis"
Dull is nr Loch Tay.

NB: articles of some (maybe not enormous) interest on hydraulic Citroens in current issue Practical Classics (yellow Triumph 2000 on cover), Pages 6 to 9
Attachments
Caernarfon to Llanberis 3385a.JPG
Lochearnhead possibly 0187.JPG
LochTay Dull 1524.jpg
Puxa
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)

Re: P.O.T.D.-Traffic sign of the day!

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 13 Sep 2017, 22:17 If you are ever in Newcastle try the Tyne Bridge to High Level Bridge Challenge on the South side (only about 75 yards as the crow flies) without falling foul of buses/taxis only area and no right or left turn infringements!
I like Newcastle as a place, but navigating it in heavy early evening traffic is a real pain in the xxxx. One of my over-riding memories of Newcastle is repeatedly finding myself in a 'compulsory left turn lane' approaching roundabouts: by the time the 'Left Only Arrow' was apparent , following traffic had, quite reasonably, assumed I was going left; and an assertive approach to changing road position was necessitated.

While in that part of the country a good many years back (I had the red 405 at the time, so pre 2011), I recall one of best chinese takeaways I ever had; at a takeaway in Hexham, the "Silver Spoon"? As is my custom, I'd asked the advice of a local Cabbie for the best place to eat cheaply from, so, finding a substantial queue (never a bad sign), I 'stuck with it' and waited the better part of 30mins for my food.... but what food it was. SWMBO & I both agreed that our meagre budget could stretch to 'Seconds', so I waited a second time for more!
Puxa
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

CitroJim wrote: 22 Sep 2017, 15:53 Spotted this lovely old-style country garage out on a bike ride today...

It does a roaring trade too... Must have a good local reputation...

yardleyhastingsgarage.jpg

They still sell fuel too...

Looks like they have been in the trade a few years Jim

"We have repaired cars built as far back as 1918 to brand new vehicles and anything from a Smart car to a Bentley Continental Flying Spur.Our experience totals over 135 years in the motor trade so we are well equipped to deal with most problems encountered. "

Now if the internet hasn't got a picture, or an advert from the "old Days" to do a bit nostaglia wallowing, then its not the internet we have come to know and love!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Nothing on the garage as yet Jim, (may have had a change of name) but Yardley Hastings does have a very nice church clock. Not red of course but black and an unusual shape, and white hands and white numerals!

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... stings.jpg

There was a collateral garage hit for The Lone Pine Garage which doesn't look like this now but is contuinuing to trade in your neck of the woods

https://lonepinegarage.files.wordpress. ... e-1950.jpg

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur wrote: 22 Sep 2017, 22:03 While in that part of the country a good many years back (I had the red 405 at the time, so pre 2011), I recall one of best chinese takeaways I ever had; at a takeaway in Hexham, the "Silver Spoon"?

Only one in Hexham now with "Silver" in its name.....The Silver Palace.......I would probably consult Trip Advisor before planning on second helpings!

Then again, the enjoyment of the food can be enhanced very much by your hungryness. I have no idea whether the fish and chip shop at Ingleton in the Yorkshire dales is deservedly superb. It certainly was after tramping for many miles across 2 of the three peaks, Pen-y-Ghent and Whernside, tired and hungry after less than satisfying "rucksack" fare along the route.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Yardley Hastings is a very pretty village indeed Neil :)

Nearby is a lovely country pile that's well worth a look at - Castle Ashby
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 22 Sep 2017, 22:56 There was a collateral garage hit for The Lone Pine Garage which doesn't look like this now but is contuinuing to trade in your neck of the woods

https://lonepinegarage.files.wordpress. ... e-1950.jpg

I know that place well. Their website has a few nice archive photos on it...
Jim

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 22 Sep 2017, 23:28 Only one in Hexham now with "Silver" in its name.....The Silver Palace.......I would probably consult Trip Advisor before planning on second helpings!
Yep, found the photo now (my ref "Newcastle Hexham 9023") and did look at the Trip Advisor reviews, the oldest of which suggested that it had previously been well regarded, seems to no longer be the case. We were there well prior to that in June 2010. A shame!
Puxa
NewcastleFalcon

Heards about this on the radio this morning. Perfect for the snug at the Pickled Egg I think.

I do like a railway station.

Excellent front cover, and if the talk on the radio was correct its from Wemyss Bay.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9 ... pgw-_qJzSN

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

P.O.T.D...Heuliez Fuego

This is a nice little page to start from to see what Heuliez did to quite a range of different models.

http://leroux.andre.free.fr/heuhist.htm

I'll pick out this image of the Renault Fuego given the cabriolet treatment....

Wouldn't say no!

http://leroux.andre.free.fr/heuliezfuego6.jpg

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

P.O.T.D. Plastic Straws

Picture of the Day

Plastic Straws, and hats off to Weatherspoons for a tremendous object lesson in how to get free publicity for your brand. Wall to wall media coverage on their "plastic straw ban".

http://cdn3-www.webecoist.momtastic.com ... aw-art.jpg

This very cool piece of commercial art was created by Publicis Argentina for Nestea. The campaign’s slogan was “Eres lo que tomas,” or “You are what you drink.”

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

POTD ....anything for Oct 1sr?

Would be a shame to let the first day of the new month pass without a POTD.

New and Old posters more than welcome!

Anything goes.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: Picture(s) of the day..anything for Oct 1sr?

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, I have something :) Spotted today at the East Carlton Country Park near Corby where my Rutland Arrivedreci cycle sportive started and ended from.

This poor locomotive is very sad and neglected :( No idea (yet) what the story behind it is... Research is needed...
Own Work
Own Work
I saw lots of abandoned railway infrastructure on my near-60 miloe ride today and those will bear some research too... Some of the bridges and viaducts I spotted were truly magnificent... I must return one day and take some pictures...

Leicestershire also has some very fine fingerpost signs too ;)
Jim

Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Re: Picture(s) of the day..anything for Oct 1sr?

Post by Richard_C »

OK, well I'm back from holiday in France so have a few to add.

The first set deserves proper description. So there I was trundling along the Gorge de Verdon on a grey day, stopping at the overlooks. Lunch loomed so we pulled in to a large space under trees and THERE IT WAS!

A Dyane Caban - rare as rare can be even when new. So I spoke to owner, who was enjoying his lunch at a camping table. With my poor French and his worse English he told me ha had owned it 8 years, he lived in northern France and used it for holidays, slept in it in remote areas (one seat, foam mattress, table and chairs, what more do you need ....). He was really pleased that I was interested, I had 2 Dyanes back in the day, and pointed out the blindingly obvious thing I had missed - its right hand drive! Then he put the bootlid down and proudly showed me the 2CV UK club sticker. Happy for me to take photos, then as I was leaving he told me about his other Citroen .... "do you know the Bijou?" he asked .....

So here they are, and if anyone is active in the owners club and wants originals PM me, happy to share and who knows, someone might recognise it.
Attachments
WP_20170918_13_18_37_Pro.jpg
DSC02655.JPG
DSC02654.JPG
DSC02653.JPG
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini