Minor rant...how hard can it be - Van hire

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Re: Minor rant...how hard can it be - Van hire

Post by daviemck2006 »

If I'm correct then that would be along the B9001 towards Forgue. That's the road I used to go to Aberdeen when I lived in Portsoy, now I'm in Macduff I'm rarely on that road. A bit isolated there right enough, but we are worse on the coast, still have to go to Aberdeen for nearly everything, even a supermarket. Our Tesco is little more than a corner shop!
We shall have to try to meet up when you are up here, you could get to sample the delights of a 205, or possibly a pair of 205s
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

This time around will probably be a bit tricky as I'm really planning on a whistle stop visit really to get my stuff - though if I do end up sourcing a van up there I may well have a bit more flexibility.

Hoping next summer though to get back up there for a proper little holiday - much as I do like MK (polarising a place as I know it is), Aberdeenshire is still home. Just wish I could magically transfer everyone's jobs (and our house) up there.

You're on the bull's eye pretty much! Badenscoth is the name of the place...such as it is as a collection of about six houses! B9001 goes right past our door.

Inverurie is actually pretty well equipped these days for most things, not sure when you were last there, but they opened a new retail park on the Oldmeldrum road out of the town centre a couple of years back. They've got an Iceland, Home Bargains, Lidl, Homebase, Argos and Halfords in there now. Poundland is in one of the units in the old Tesco/Wm. Low building too. Sadly that all opened not long *after* I moved into Aberdeen itself!

Been a while since I was up in Macduff, used to be up there most summers when I was in secomdary school as my best friend's family owned a house up there used as a holiday home. We had a great time "camping" there, and I really miss it to be honest. Nothing but one B&W TV, a radio, some decent car mags and a camera - in conjunction with a pair of feet and the coast we kept ourselves plenty busy. House was called The Gowans, and was from memory 26 Souter Street. They sold it a few years back and I think it's all been gutted now.

Last time I was in a 205 would have been around 2003 I think, when we had a mint L plate 1.9D in as a trade in. Bright metallic teal colour from memory, and drove like a dream as I recall - surprisingly nippy for an N/A diesel if I remember right too. ...scary to think thats 12 years ago now...
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

Inverurie is getting good now for shopping. The new shopping park is good, and there is a decent choice of shops. It's about 25 miles I think from here to there. It is the nearest we can go to for a good choice. I always wanted a 205 years ago, but the wife at the time wanted a clio so a clio she got. That was when we had 3 young kids, the clio wasn't big enough. But it was also when I was skipper and part owner of a fishing boat so had the boats car, a vw caravelle 8 seater which acted as family car and caravan tug as well as transport to Scrabster and back. It's a shame it got filthy and smelly and needed a full interior professional valet every 3 months or so, which was a legitimate business expense!
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

I've had a few fishmongers cars through my hands over the years, I know all about that smell!!!
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

At least I've heard of Inverurie - in fact I've been there (a long time ago, & I'm not sure why)
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o