Car/Van Hire-Excess Insurance

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Re: Car/Van Hire-Excess Insurance

Post by van ordinaire »

See this scratch/dent/paont imperfection? That'll be £x!

A. prove (a) it wasn't already there AND (b) I caused it!

However the real trick is no nice shiny van from an international major but some beat-up old wreck from that shed round the back of the station.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

This thread has been selected by the random hand of the FCF Archives February Ferret 2023. Have a look at the thread starter and a scan through the posts and add more recent experiences. Last time I hired a van/car was back in 2015.
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 17 Jul 2017, 15:08 Yes its the Daily mail but these sort of stories have been brewing for a while. I certainly noticed the change when I first started this thread. Same sort of thing could well spill over into the ubiquitous PCP contracts for buying new cars when cars are handed back after the contract period. Its probably a variation of the good old murphy's or sod's law...
Murphy's law says that anything that can go wrong, will go wrong (eventually),
Sod's law requires that it always goes wrong with the worst possible outcome.

So If a car hire company can rip you off they will rip you off (and believe me what you sign when you collect the keys gives them carte blanche).

Ditto when "buying" a new car on a PCP.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... probe.html
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Thread started in 2015, little bit of an update in 2017, not quite up to 2023 yet, and FCF members own experiences are of course the most valid, but in 2019, "Which?" were finding if an act needed cleaning up, it hadn't quite happened then.
"Owning" is a fading model of acquiring "mobility", and virtually all new vehicle or even used vehicle acquisitions are increasingly on a "rental" basis whatever that is wrapped up as PCP, Leasing, Subscription etc etc.
Most involve an assumed residual value and a deposit/monthly payment over a fixed term for a certain contract mileage, and penalties potentially lying in wait for excess mileage or damage.

Might be interesting to see if handbacks after the contract term for new car purchases are subject to the same sort of "sneaky charges".

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 18 Feb 2023, 19:17, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Any FCF Members gone through the process of a PCP end of Contract Handback and the damage assessment process :?:

At the end of a PCP contract the usual options are
1 Hand back, the car is subject to an assessment, and any damage or mileage excess penalties are assessed billed and paid for.
2. Pay the guaranteed future value (balloon payment) in the contract and the car is yours to sell, trade-in or keep.

With the handback option, the damage assessment comes into play, and a price list of rectifications is referred to in calculating the damage payment. That doesn't mean that they will necessarily be done on hand back, more likely the car goes through an auction as is, and the finance company gets it's residual value ASAP.

From the customer's point of view, there is a debate as to whether to handback the car as is, or to carry out rectifications prior to the end of contract inspection, to anticipate and avoid damage penalties.

an example from another forum discussing "VWFS - attitude at end of lease?"
(in the case of VWFS this looks like the inspection is done by auction firm BCA).
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey