A little light reading on VED!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

handyman
My Cars:

A little light reading on VED!

Post by handyman »

I have just read about this nice little earner for DVLA & the Chancellor. :rofl2: :rofl2:

http://www.confused.com/car-insurance/a ... er20150526" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I always knew the slimey b'stards were up to something. :rofl2: They never miss the opportunity to screw the motorist. :twisted: :twisted: Its an even better scam than the one that Nigerian Prince keeps on about. [-X [-X =D>

BTW, sorry its linked to one of those pain-in-the-RSole insurance cos!

H
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: A little light reading on VED!

Post by Stickyfinger »

Not new mate......flogged that one already.

try this......when you "import a car"
DVLA take "up to" 10 days to send you a form when requested...(took 8 days for me)
They take 10-14 days to "action it"....eg open it.
Then 10-14 days to process it
then send it 2nd class.......................and all that time your insurance is ticking away (as you need Insurance and an MOT to tax it !)

all of that replaced a single 2hour visit to a local DVLA office which could if needed also inspect it.

Now tell me what they would say IF this was how an Electric/Water/Phone company acted when a monopoly ?
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Stickyfinger wrote:
Now tell me what they would say IF this was how an Electric/Water/Phone company acted when a monopoly ?
Business rates and tax are going up on utilities.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

I've always thought since the VED changed so the 'new' owner has to purchase it as well (ie it does not 'transfer') apart from the 'extra' revenue HMG potentially get for a double month, the refund to the old owner is only complete months. It should not its electronic be calculated to that day, as the previous "unused months" made sense when you had a physical disc and postage to think about, but not now...

EDIT... I see their reply on that link:
A spokesman added: "Now all new keepers must tax the vehicle before they use it rather than having to find out if it’s taxed or whether the seller has had the tax refunded."
Well it was quite easy before as it either had a disc in the windscreen or it did not :shock: , simples. :-D (Yes I know that is no guarantee but its a long way towards it)

I've always tried to buy cars with tax when I can, either privately or if from a dealer I ask them to tax it, this was not a ploy it was simply to save time, ie when I arrive at the sellers I swap the insurance over and as its already taxed and tested I'm ready to go. I guess it just means another phone call for some more open wallet surgery ie to pay for the 'new' tax as well. I think the next change I'll do at the start of the month ie buy on the 1st or 2nd etc this way neither myself or seller lose too much.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

Biggest headache I've had with it was when buying a car from a dealer with a friend, which of course we had to tax before driving home (not least because it involved a several hour long motorway trek). So, we agree to buy the car, phone insurance, transfer that over, phone DVLA's tax number and try to tax it. Sorry, computer says the car isn't insured...can't tax it. We arrived there at around 10 in the morning, we finally managed to get the car taxed at about 16:30 in the afternoon. Ended up wasting basically the entire (rainy!) day walking up and down one road waiting for the MiD system to catch up and let us tax the blasted thing so we could drive home.

Of course it was a weekend, so the Post Office wasn't open so there was no way we could speak to a human being in person about it.

Really put me off ever wanting to do anything like that again.

Last car I bought myself ended up being on the 22nd I think, but we didn't have much choice in the matter at the time!
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

I posted the link so Forum members could see how conniving governments are, to find evermore ludicrous ways to steal from us by stealth. It may not be alot of money individually but when you consider how many cars there are in the UK and add in the volume of sales, it does amount to a pretty penny.

Its not as if Westmonster use the money to benefit us all, like helping the NHS, repairing roads, funding more care for the elderly, etc. :rofl2: :-D

I'm sure much of this ill-gotten gain gets trousered by politicians or their mates. May they rot in Hell, if there is one. [-X 8-[ =D>

H
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Its well before my time but was the name of the tax changed from 'road tax' or similar to 'vehicle excise duty' as there was some kind of legal challenge (possibly in the 50's/60's ?) to the fact that said tax was not being spent on the roads generally...
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG