Bit of a Sad day poking and prodding my Bx 16v,*Pic's Added

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Bit of a Sad day poking and prodding my Bx 16v,*Pic's Added

Post by Timmo »

was up at pops yesterday, figured i best have a poke and prod round the ol' girl, fired up quickly with a battery booster and ran for a mo but spluttered, to be expected as its been sat not fired for over a year, but stared to look and have a prod and poke about, the usual spots and wtaer traps seem to have got it, the sunroof drains have blocked and the passenger floors are Soaked, and growing nice little lawn on the front matt! :-O
top of the passenger side screen/roof join has gone now and i poked a small hole in it, rust marks around the bottom but more solid, drivers side top was better But it looks like the bottom end of the screen has pushed the screen out a bit, visually looks higher than it should also the gap above the doors on the driers side seems too big compared to the passenger, anyways, drivers side corner of the under screen area has gone through leaves and gunk getting stuck, jacking points hvae gone and sills on the bodykit (factory one) look pushed out a bit, back door water traps have gone too, similar to the xantia's! passenger rear light support has gone, but in fairness was weak when i took it off the road 7 YEARS Ago, same side boot corner has gone too, Zaust has dropped although not major, couldnt really et under and look properly as no tools etc, but hoping the Proper waxoiling i gave it when it was on the road is doing its thing, other than the corner, boot floor seems intact and solid.

i do really need to get it home and have a proper look, but is now balancing on the is it worth attempting to fix Or strip and break it, when do you throw the towel in?? - no workshops or garage space for it, will all be outside, engine will need a top end rebuild as the stem seals have gone, (they were on the way when it came off the road), octopus needs doing (pretty sure i have one!), it doesnt Owe me anything anymore, i have owned it since '02, dearly love that car, always put a smile on my face, was always glad to get in it at the end of the day from the garages i worked in, but, i fear if the rust has taken more than what can be seen, it's going to be a thankless task???

as said, was a bit of a sadener on a lovely family day, now to plan getting it home to determine its fate!!
Last edited by Timmo on 16 Aug 2015, 04:40, edited 1 time in total.
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
bxzx16v
My Cars: Past Frenchies , 4xBx16v,1xBxGti,1xBxTzd,2xZx Volcanes,1xZx reflex,1xPug 405mi16, 3x Xantia 1.9td's,1x Xantia activa, 2x Renault 25 V6 turbo, 1 Zx16v ,1 Pug 406 V6 coupe ,1x C8 , 1x Berlingo van , 1x Xanti 2.1td , 1x Renault Laguna 3

Re: Bit of a Sad day poking and prodding my Bx 16v,

Post by bxzx16v »

I never thought I'd see the day Timmo, you parting with your beloved valver. They do succumb to the rust pretty badly as most if not all of the ones which were for sale around the time I got my Zx16v have been broken as they were beyond economic repair. The Zx16v has sadly gone now, not sure if the new keeper will cherish it like myself which is sad. I promised myself another Bx16v one day but sadly I don't think that will ever happen now (unless MikeP sells his).I hope yours lives on as it looked a beauty back in its day. Shame it wasn't a s**t Ford from the same era, it would have been worth a fortune even in the condition it's in. Would reshelling it be an option if the shells too far gone? I know this can't be an easy decision Timmo I really hope for the best .

Mark
2009 Landrover Freelander 2 TD4se (killed an Audi) , sadly now gone .
2012 Landrover Freelander 2 SD4 AUTO Love it . Now gone .
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 Ecoboost Zetec . Fantastic little machine .Gone now.
2014 Ford Focus 2.0 Tdci Zetec S with the French heart.
Timmo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Timmo »

i dont have the time / money / inclination to reshell fella!! i need to get it home and see how bad it really is....

'58 C2 Code
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

by the list you pointed out above i would think it would be easier/quicker to re/shell it Tim
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Timmo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Timmo »

i dont have the space for a reshell Malcom, plus it will all be on driveway (sloping) and corner of front lawn, i can't afford to pay for someone to do it for me and also, isnt my style, if it needs doing i would rather do it, the old Build it not buy it! plus, being picky, not easy finding a Black BX shell! ;-)

it kinda pains me a bit to think in the way of chopping it up, but not being one to buy drive and sell cars, keep them till they die is more me, it may be the way forward, strip, clean and store, be a shame for a 4 owner local car to go that way, but gotta be a realist sometimes havent you!

was thinking that whilst it was amazing fun Blasting it at 7k rpm down the coast road, the chances of being able to do so now are much rarer, especially with the 2 girls, and quite frankly, it may not have the acceleration or flat out sped but the xanty estate holds the corners pretty damn well and can surprise many a more powerful car on that road! ;-) in an ideal world i'd have it sat in the corner of a large barn along side the other 3 cars i owned before it! but we are far from ideal now! haha!

'58 C2 Code
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I feel more than a bit sad about this; you held high hopes for making it roadworthy again.
tim leech
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by tim leech »

That's a shame mate, but old French cars do rust, everything's mendable, she was a real beaut.
1994 XANTIA 1.8i SX 132k, From new, Slumbering
1991 BX TZD Turbo, 192k Batttered/Awaiting Resto
1991 BX 19TZi Auto 93k Factory A/C
1991 BX 16 TGS Athena (project), mechanically sorted just a bit scruffy!
1985 BX 19GT 57k beige wonder
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

I know it probably makes more logical sense to write the car off, but I'd say if you have any hope, try to sort it.

They're rare cars now and if you do win against the odds and get it back on the road, you will feel great about it. If you do break it, you'll kick yourself for years.

I am still kicking myself for not finishing welding one of my cars back together and selling it. Currently in a very similar boat to you with my van (plus it's at the other end of the country). I know if I sell or scrap it though that I'll never forgive myself.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
Timmo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Timmo »

thanks all,
i am still in 2 minds about it, but leaning more to breaking, the way i look at it, if it turns out not so bad when i do get it home then wont be dissapointed! ;-)
all really lays on how it is when i can get it back here, looking at options for flat bedding it, or talking my brother into driving one car and i'll drive it back with a rope between the two! ;-)

'58 C2 Code
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Value of scrap isn't great, keep it longer. You'll end up with a perfect space to reshell it a few weeks after its gone anyway.
I scrapped my old van when I got my ZXant, didn't want to but circumstances meant I had to. Now summers here I really miss it.
Timmo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Timmo »

thought i'd update you all with Absolutely No progress but some pictures!!!

greenery!
oooooops
drivers side screen edge
Passengers

drivres side door shuts
poked with key lightly
Tadaaaaaa

what concerned me was the shape of the roof above the doors, looked wrong to me,
couldnt really tell from passengers side if any different

passenger door hinge

middle box has fallen off!

my new to me camera has Miniture mode!! This amused me!
wheel arch to screen scuttle

just to remind you that when twas last on the road, Smart phones hadnt long been about!
Car kit for my Sony Ericsson P900+910 i had (previously had the 800 cradle on!!)

there are a few more bits i prodded at but didnt picture like the boot corner and left rear light mount as looking from the back, passenger rear door shut, but on reflection, i think its not quite so dead as i thought after finding all the bits, Wont know for sure till its home though!

the stone under the front wheel Isnt as looks to hold the car from rolling But to stop it so pops can still open the garage if he needs too! ;-)

i am slowly looking into methods of transporting her home, honest!! ;-)

'58 C2 Code
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Bit of a Sad day poking and prodding my Bx 16v,*Pic's Ad

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

If you don't do something soon the spiders will have squatters rights and will fight you in court!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

Nice and rare car.
Hope you do save it...
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
Timmo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Timmo »

I am still hoping to save it! Just depends how far its gone, but without it being here I can only guess!

'58 C2 Code
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

Where is 'here' and where is 'there'?
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)