moving to UK

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Peterdb
My Cars:

moving to UK

Post by Peterdb »

good morning you all,
As we are planning to come to the UK and live in the surroundings of Southampton (Basingstoke) would ask you what comes up to me to have my lady into the UK.
I know that I do have the left hand wheel but that would not be a problem to start with.
More interesting is the cost what I have to pay entering the UK.
Could anybody that have tried this event before or do have some info what I do have to do, what papers I need, what the price is for the MOT, Insurance etc??
Waiting yours,
having a good day,
best regards,
Peter den Breejen.
C5 Break 2,0 Hdif (DW 10BTED4 FAB) Aut (ATM AM6B) Ligne PR, 2007, Organummer: 10655 CJ, KM: 410.000, gris aluminium
previous cars: citroen 2CV, Simca 1100 TI, CX 2000, CX Pallas, XM, C5 and as hobby Nissan Patrol.
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Re: moving to UK

Post by wurlycorner »

MOT's are around £50.
If you have a look on the dvla's website there should be a section telling you what you need to do if you're bringing a car with you to the uk. Normally if it's a car from within the EU, you wouldn't pay any tax on bringing the car in, as such, but as Romania joined the EU later, I'm not sure whether that would still be the case.

Edit: here you go
https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-i ... k/overview" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 080814.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and some help
http://www.ecossedirect.com/cities/edin ... er_vehicle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BUT...you MUST get registration IF you have a permanent address in the UK

Driving with a foreign registration number: You must get a UK licence plate if you’re a permanent resident and YOU own the Car. If not, your insurance could be invalid and your car taken for scrap.
https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-i ... k/overview" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i might be wrong so dont quote me

but i thought road tax and possibly equivalent to the MOT, like an EU driving license from outside the UK you could use it for a year before having to get a UK license/version

can you not ask the British Embassy in Romania what the rules are,
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
wurlycorner
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

IME, there are quite a few people from mainland europe that come over to the UK, leave their cars registered abroad, never tax or insure or MOT them in the UK and drive round like that ad infinitum, without ever getting stopped (this was when I worked for an Italian company that had several Italian staff).
It was bloody annoying for us others that were constantly struggling to get their knackered old CXs through an MOT every year and forking out for the top rate of road tax!
But... That's not the correct and legal way of doing it. I expect if the Police ever did bother to stop you (why would they when it's a lot of admin in comparison to issuing a fixed penalty to a properly registered UK driver :roll: ) then the implications could be expensive.

Just follow the links we've posted above and that fills in the details for what you need to do.

As for insurance quotes, you can easily run those to see what it would be like, using a site like confused.com. Just pick a postcode in the area you're planning to move to, to use as a baseline (it won't send anything out in the post if you're just running a quote).

(nb: don't for one minute take my comments above to mean I hate Europe/vote UKIP/think all mainland European's come over here to scrounge!!! Quite the opposite in fact, but I genuinely did work with plenty of guys that did just what I've said!)
--
Iain

Peterdb
My Cars:

Post by Peterdb »

Gents, thanks a lot for this info and yes I will be having my residence in the UK, the exact adress not known by know as we are dealing with several agencies and will take that later when my wife is there within 2 weeks.
Furthermore, I contacted the legal office enquireries@vosa.gov.uk for help about IVA or MSVA and niru@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk for a form C&A 388 to be filled in prior entering the UK.
Until now none of the above did contact me for this matter but I'm patient, let's give it some more days.
The MOT is only £50?? Thought it is much more, and is this only ones or comes back every year?
Means also my car has to be checked before I can have UK number plates?
I'm also thinking of to buy a C5 equal mine but with right hand steering where as the engine or gearbox is broken and I can use mine as spare for that car.
If I do so do I have to checked the car agsain as the engine is different or can I just go on with that?
Waiting yours and thanks already for the above, is a great help,
having a good day,
best regards,
Peter den Breejen.
C5 Break 2,0 Hdif (DW 10BTED4 FAB) Aut (ATM AM6B) Ligne PR, 2007, Organummer: 10655 CJ, KM: 410.000, gris aluminium
previous cars: citroen 2CV, Simca 1100 TI, CX 2000, CX Pallas, XM, C5 and as hobby Nissan Patrol.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Some forms you can download.....

If you take out your engine and put it in a UK reg'ed car, No Problem as long as the emissions are OK and as per the requirements for that car.

The age of your car matters from the Tax/Import Duty, is it over 10 years old ?

FYI, on Romanian plates, you may get a lot of problems with Police checks/Stops at night.....
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
Peterdb
My Cars:

Post by Peterdb »

As you can see the car was purchased in 2007 so not 10 years now.
Furthermore, I was planning to have the licence plates changed to UK number plates, not just what you mentioned above to be stopped by the Police but this is what I normaly do living in a country as resident, the only difference in the rest of Europ and UK is that in Europ you are alowed to drive 1 year on your old numberplates.
AnywayI tried to find the forms but so far no luck, maybe have to google a bit more.
Thanks for the info regarding the engine, sure I will take care that it is the same engine and gear(aut) what I'm going to buy and also the same type of car.
Will continue looking for some answers,
having a good day,
best regards,
Peter den Breejen.
wurlycorner
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

Yep there is no (legal) problem with swapping engines. You just fill in a bit on the V5 (the UK registration document) and send if off to the DVLA to advise them of the new engine number. They update your records and send you an updated V5.

MOT's are required every year, but yep, £50 is about the going rate.
--
Iain

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

In case there is any confusion, you also have to pay road tax when you register the vehicle and then every year, the amount depends on the vehicle.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

To register the car for use in the UK you will also need to change your headlamps to RHD ones & you need a speedo that registers in MPH.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

wheeler wrote:To register the car for use in the UK you will also need to change your headlamps to RHD ones & you need a speedo that registers in MPH.
plus you need to make sure you have a UK O/S rear fog lamp working
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

This may help with the speedo.................................http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =2&t=52281
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
BX
My Cars:

Post by BX »

The general rule is.
If you move (temporarily) to another EU country you can take your vehicle with you without the necessity of reregistering it for 6 months out of any 12 month period.
Most EU countries (UK included) will agree to extend this period on application.
However: The car must comply with the requirements of its home country as regards tax, national car test etc.
Your insurance company is obliged under EU law to provide the minimum cover required by law in the country you are going to. The extras on the policy are a different matter.

If you want to stay longer, and register the vehicle in the UK, the UK has the requirement that you change the speedometer to MPH.
This seems to be a protectionist measure as most of us can automatically cope with either speedo and keep to the speed limits when transiting through the UK. And what about the first 6/12 months?
The UK testing system is quite haphazard compared to some countries. This is because they allow local garages who also sell and repair cars to do the testing.
Peterdb
My Cars:

Post by Peterdb »

Gents, thanks to all the info received.
I'm considering to move to the UK, take our C5 estate with us and then buy a UK licence car from the same type.
I have looked into the market also and the same type car I'm driving presently I can get for a good price in the UK.Afterwards the things I do need to replace from my own car I will do, if needed to inform the autorities is also not a problem by p.e. changing engine or most likely the aut. gearbox for the manual having lost of them here in the UK (maybe UK drivers don't like that much an automatic gear??) so at the end of the day not running into not allowed issues like km to miles, headlights changing etc, looks to me is more adequat and easier for me to change the car and use mine afterwards for spares.
Anyway, I thank you all for the advices and let you know my wareabouts and planning through the next couple of month in this forum.
having a good day,
best regards,
Peter den Breejen.