Diesel or petrol - long term prospects

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Re: Diesel or petrol - long term prospects

Post by JohnD »

About a week ago here in the South East we had a couple of days with "poor air quality" - so much so that the elderly and people with bronchial ailments were advised to stay in doors with windows closed. The reason apparently was industrial pollution brought across on the wind from the Continent. Maybe the EU should put their own house in order before worrying about ours.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
BX
My Cars:

Post by BX »

The real problem is that in the EU the market for petrol has collapsed. When crude oil is refined it yields fixed percentages of the various fractions. At the moment we refine an excess of crude to meet diesel demand. The excess petrol is exported cheaply to markets where there is still a demand such as the USA. The fuel demands of the car fleet must be rebalanced in favour of petrol.
Xantianut
My Cars: 2002 C5 2.0 HDi 110 SX

RIP:
1993 Xantia 1.8i LX
1989 BX16TRS
1986 BX14E x 2

Post by Xantianut »

The difference in price between here and the US is explained in one simple 3 letter word.

TAX!!!!!
C5 HDi 110 SX (Fifi 7 or Otterchops)

RIP
Citroen Xantia 1.8i LX (Fifi 6)
BX16TRS (x2) (Fifi 4 and 5)
BX19DTR (Fifi 2)
BX14E (x2) (Fifi 1 and 3)
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Xantianut wrote:The difference in price between here and the US is explained in one simple 3 letter word.

TAX!!!!!
Which is needed for all the Free State funded stuff we have in relation to the average Yank
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Stickyfinger wrote:
Which is needed for all the Free State funded stuff we have in relation to the average Yank
Yes exactly, and it's the way it should be to. My American family pay sweet FA tax and get sweet FA in return. Their medical insurance bill for all them is over $800 per month alone..

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

A Prius isn't really my bag, I don't think it does the job its supposed to very well either and is fast becoming a pointless stopgap between oil and electric. I was rather impressed with the all electric offerings from Nissan and Renault I was looking at last year, the battery leasing was a good idea also and the range and charging times are coming along very nicely too to the point where for the average person they are a very real alternative to the oil burners.
Right now though, with modern car refinement I would be looking at the little Mazda / Mitsubishi / Citroen C1 type things, plenty refined enough, capable of motorway work and economical, the little Mitsubishi loan thing I get is fun, nippy, well equipped, cheap to buy and im getting high 60's mpg out of it over here driven sensibly, not like a saint, just gently.
Electric is coming, just look at the daddy Tesler, some machine.

Anyway, petrol or diesel? I think right now a small petrol is far cheaper to own and run and is less hassle than a diesel, depends on the size of vehicle though, I wouldn't want a 3.5 V6 L200 for instance.

Time will tell
D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Perhaps not appropriate to everyone but I'm finding I'm using my cars less and less now in favour of my bike... It is often quicker than car on cross-town runs and certainly less stressful..

I can see a time when bikes come much more to the fore and they do have the added benefits of keeping you fit and very close to nature...

Not for everybody as I say but where appropriate, very good...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

CitroJim wrote:Perhaps not appropriate to everyone but I'm finding I'm using my cars less and less now in favour of my bike... It is often quicker than car on cross-town runs and certainly less stressful..

I can see a time when bikes come much more to the fore and they do have the added benefits of keeping you fit and very close to nature...

Not for everybody as I say but where appropriate, very good...
...or make it a little bit easier with the new generation of electric bikes

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Indeed, the electric bike could be a great solution for many who'd love to bike but can't for whatever reason...

That one is butt ugly though... They need to make them look a lot more appealing and not like something made in a year9 metalwork class!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

That one is ugly because the top tube contains a big battery Jim.

Problem in the UK is that the top speed of electric bikes is limited, whereas it's not elsewhere. I'd happily use one to go to work on if it wasn't.

NewcastleFalcon

That particular bike is from Vanmoof, and as it turns out currently only available in the Netherlands, Germany, Belgium and the USA. If wiki is right probably something to do with the motor being rated at 250 Watts, and the not quite harmonised UK e-bike legislation with Europe.

For red-tape lovers, the necessary administrative steps are in process :)
UK Harmonises Electric Bike Law with Europe

LONDON, UK – The UK has finally laid out in detail its proposed harmonisation legislation to bring its electric bike legislation in line with Europe. The Electrically Assisted Pedal Cycles (Amendment) Regulations 2015 will update the UK’s original 1983 legislation, effectively scrapping the country’s unique stance on electric bike legislation from January 2016.
I think this will will allow up to 250W motors and 25 kph (15.53mph) speed limits on powered operation for electric bikes.

Regards Neil

(pesonally I quite like the look of the bike. The rear and front lights engineered within the top tube is neat, and for an electric bike its designed to look like their non-electric offerings and there's no properly ugly clagged-on battery pack to spoil the lines.)
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Problem in the UK is that the top speed of electric bikes is limited
Change the sticker....who the heck will be able to test it, as if the local Plod will care
......and you will have a nice trip to Holland to purchase one. if you remember to after the first coffee :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Last time I went to Holland I mistook a hotel waste paper basket for a toilet. Sober I was not.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Northern_Mike wrote:Last time I went to Holland I mistook a hotel waste paper basket for a toilet. Sober I was not.
:rofl2: :rofl2:
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

...of course not exactly practical everyday commuting transport, but this "Famous James" is up for sale at the next Brightwells classic auction on May 13th with a guide price of £1,200 to £1,600. Now if your name happens to be James...

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey