205 Auto , why XU instead of TU

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

205 Auto , why XU instead of TU

Post by spider »

Something that has niggled me for a long time actually.

The first automatics were about D plate from what I recall possibly just before the TU was around (and I can see they could not use the 'suitcase' unit with the autobox really)

So they used the XU5 , to be fair (apart from the curious change of tensioner arrangement later on) these were quite good, most common issue was a dodgy auto choke. Quite easy to put right, failing that a trip to the dealer or breaker for a 205 choke cable and a part shop for a conversion kit (best to use the gen cable not the nasty universal thing they give in these kits!) and you were done.

However when the 306 came out, the 1.6 auto used the TU5 and the 1.8 auto used the XU7

Andy wonders why the 205 did not switch to the TU5 unit, nice solid iron block so no liner business to worry about. It also would leave a bit more space in the engine bay :D , its a bit cramped with the XU in there compared to what it could of had, its not as though it would not actually fit and work either. :)

Hmm... :-k :-k :-k

As a sidenote was there a Visa automatic ? I guess each 'half' of PSA do their own thing anyway hence no 306D Auto to 'match' the ( under-rated in my opinion, and quite rare :( ) ZX 1.9D auto.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
spider

Re: 205 Auto , why XU instead of TU

Post by spider »

Hmm. No matter I shall rethink and draw my own conclusions / thoughts on the issue. :)
Andy.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

It's a good point Andy and one I don't have the answer to...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider

Post by spider »

Thanks. Yes I know I ask odd questions. :oops:

Tis an odd one, I thought about the cost of wiring or suchlike or maybe just the ATF cooler hoses (the reason the TD 205's don't have the 'tophat' filter really, I did a long study into hose compatibility a couple of years ago about that)

As a random sidenote, I've concluded the reason the XUD7 (seems its 99% this engine only?) has magic tightening valve clearances is partly (mostly?) due to no oil cooler, aka 205/Visa. If you look at most other models with this unit they tend to have one... I thought about the lack of temp gauge on most etc but I think the awol cooler is more the issue here. :-k
Andy.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Andy, incredibly interesting about the lack of oil cooler on the XUD7 causing the valve clearance tightening...

An oil temperature gauge might be very revealing..

I know on the ES9, another engine with no oil cooler, just how hot the oil can get when it's give a lot of beans... I always thing that's why the oil temperature gauge was deleted on SII models as it could read 'worrying' at times!

A similarly well-worked engine with a cooler shows a big difference.. It's telling too that the XU9 in the 205GTi had a proper oil cooler whereas the XU5 didn't...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...