SORN and Road tax refund

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

SORN and Road tax refund

Post by daviemck2006 »

Has anyone tried declaring a SORN and claiming back their road tax whilst keeping their own car under the new rules? It used to be so easy, go to post office, get form, fill it in, attach tax disc, post and wait a few weeks. I've been trying for two days to declare the c5 Sorn and get the tax back including Januarys and what a problem. After about 5 different pre-recorded messages to different numbers saying if you sell or scrap the vehicle the tax comes back to the registered keeper, but nowhere does it tell you how to claim the tax back if you are parking the car up and leaving it but not selling or scrapping. So I eventually got a human at dvla to speak to today. He cant SORN my car or refund the tax because it is not showing up on his electronic system, but he knows it is registered to me, and is still taxed and is not showing with a VIC marker. So therefore I can only assume that the DVLA computer system is utter crap, I bought the car 18/05/14 so 7 months later it is not on their electronic system. So my tax is £15 a month, so how muck are the DVLA/Government stealing off folk with this new system? The insurance company don't want the registration Document, as ownership of the car is not transferring to them, so when Malcolm comes for the car it will still be taxed and I would think when we sort the document then it's a change of keeper, and I will get the tax back from 1st February. Unless, if we put down 31st Dec on the paperwork then I get it back from today with a little lie. I should have the car home, it's still insured, mot and tax according to dvla so I could have been still using it and not this pile of s**t that throws its petrol,out, throws it's power steering fluid out (it did 3 days ago it is bodged and working now) and breaks my back every bump I go over. Flipping robbing basturds that made up this new road tax system. It's not to make things better it's to rob more off us poor motorists. :rant2:
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Re: SORN and Road tax refund

Post by DickieG »

Do it online, takes all of about 2 minutes. You just enter the reg no and 11 digit document number from the V5 then press done, all very simple really.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

That would only let me declare sorn from 31/05 2015 when current tax disc runs out.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Davie, Sorry I can't explain the problems your having with the DVLA. I do recall many months ago hearing/reading about someone's problem with the DVLA concerning recognition of a car that had previously been brought over from N ireland, or was it Eire?

Yesterday, ie New Year's Eve, I SORNed a car I've been using for last 4 months, using the online procedure as outlined above by DickieG. No problem, although the on-screen Confirmation gave the SORN start date as 1st December! However, the email Confirmation I received does say that the Application was made on 31/12/14 @ 16:21:48

I await cheque refund for unused RFL in a few weeks.

Xantia back on the road - got to get some use out of the winter tyres I bought for it 4 years ago :)

Happy New Year
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)

Post by daviemck2006 »

I'm just thinking I could have been trying to do this at the same time as the vic marker was going on. It may explain why I had problems. I really don't know.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

On my newly purchased car I had to go to the post office as there is (was) a stopper in the system....cus of stolen cars/docs....they still wished to witness ID etc at PO..........FYI
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)

Post by daviemck2006 »

I tried again today online, and it now comes up saying due to a recent change to your vehicles documentation we cannot issue road tax using this service. I can only presume that this is because of the vic marker now on it so that should return the road tax anyway
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Yep....that's what I got, I then tried on the phone direct to DVLA and selected a real person to talk to........and they said .......Post office mate
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting