Strange encounter with a stick driving at night...

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

praxibetel
My Cars: Previous:
206 2.0 HDi

Current:
406 2.0 HDi - remapped 150 hp
Mazda MX-5 mk1 1.8 (it has French tyres?)

Strange encounter with a stick driving at night...

Post by praxibetel »

So I was driving my 206 along the A120 near Harwich this evening when I heard a loud clunk and suddenly the car pulled to one side, I was getting a hell of a lot of strange grinding and wheezing noises from the car and the handbrake seemed to be engaged. I drove into a layby and the handbrake lever would barely move, the brake pedal had become extremely firm and I heard the worst noises I had ever heard a car make when trying to move, so I decided it was probably best not to drive any further!

I had a look around the car and I couldn't find anything out of the ordinary, so I called the AA and after half an hour on hold they told me nobody was on duty in my area for the next 8 hours. I didn't have a clue what could've happened to my rear brakes so I called a recovery service in a nearby town to see if they could pick the car up.

While waiting for recovery I tried to take a closer look under the car and I found a piece of timber that had got rammed between the suspension arm and the wheel, while twisting itself around the handbrake cable. It took me a while to work it free but once I did the car was back to normal. I explained what had happened to the guy driving the recovery truck and he found it rather amusing :lol: I paid him anyway since he had come out at short notice quite late at night!

Just thought I'd share the most bizarre motoring experience I've had so far :lol:
406 2.0 HDi - with 150 hp remap from HDi-Tuning
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Strange encounter with a stick driving at night...

Post by CitroJim »

I had a very similar happening many, many years ago when I had an R5... A strange noise developed in the front suspension.

I drove it 150 miles to my parents so I could strip the suspension and investigate the problem. It was a stone resting against a brake disc!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

back in the 70ies i worked for Henley s Folkestone,

when the parts delivery girls pulled up on the forecourt we used to wait till they had gone in the workshop/stores to drop of what ever they were delivering, then we used to nip out pop the hub caps of and put pebbles in them and put them back on :twisted: :o :yikes: :-D :lol: :rofl2: :rofl2: :wink: ,

the hub caps back then were usually chromium plated pressed tin, imagine the racket as the girlies drove off :-D :-D :wink:
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

You are so cruel Malcolm :twisted:

I'm considering banning you from the forum as punishment :x
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I've heard worse. I recall when two work colleagues had a falling out. One of them decided to get back at the other in an unusual way. He deflated one tyre on the other guys' car, and then re-filled it with blue top milk (using a cheap foot pump and extra pipework) until his gauge showed the right 'air' pressure. It somewhat spoiled the handling, and, eventually, when he went to have his wheels re-balanced the fitter noticed one wheel was considerably heavier than the others, so he took the tyre off. What he found was a somewhat rancid butter.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That's even worse than what Malcolm did James :evil:

In fact it's horrible :lol:
Jim