A nice pair but too easy for a whatsthisthen!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Re: A nice pair but too easy for a whatsthisthen!

Post by white exec »

That's a hell of a pair of heater feed pipes on that Saab - presumably for toasty Scandinavian winters!
Chris
white exec
Moderating Team
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Talking of sixes, always fancied one of these...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin_3-Litre

Hydrolastic was pretty impressive on larger cars, IIRC.
Good few 1800/2200/3L were bought as Army staff cars, and looked rather splendid in Army green.
At one time, I considered having my P6B resprayed in that colour. Think it would have suited it.
Anyone good at Photoshop?
Chris
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I had one of those for a few years Chris, still my favourite car, it had self levelling suspension and handled beautifully but suffered badly from the rust bug in the front wings (the headlamps fell out), I kept patching it up but eventually it had to go.
I've been scratching my head all morning trying to think how I disposed of it, did I sell it, scrap it? Old age don't come alone. :(
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Maybe it just dissolved Gibbo ;)

I reckon the basic 'Landcrab' body style must be one of the most used in the world.. Even to the Maxi... I understand all those all shared the same doors! And all derived from the original 1100/1300 design.... BMC got their money's worth out of it for sure....

I still think they look really great even now...Another timeless Pininfarina design at the heart of it...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

According to wiki our old friends at Crayford...(who can forget the Alfresco Allegro?) got their hands on the Austin 3-Litre. Not as far as I can tell to produce one of their trademark convertibles, but to produce an estate. Well this was the result, 11 of them were done, and if you look closely part of the design was clagging an 1100 tailgate on the end :-D
Only 2 survive and here's one of them:-

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Oh...and here's another nice pair

..anyone the tiniest bit curious about the "Seaspeed" Vessel in the background...yes me as well, nice image of the times.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

..yes and a dip into Crayford's portfolio comes up with this, A Rover 3.5 estate conversion and if I am not very much mistaken looks like tobacco leaf as well! Its last MOT expired 8th Match 2016 and is currently on SORN....hope its being preserved and treasured rather than heading for the scrapheap!

Crayford did also offer the "Princess" hatchback Conversion.....took some time, and it was probably too late by then for BL to realise that maybe it was a good idea when they finally introduced it with the Ambassador.

..and seeing as this is "A Nice Pair" thread I'll pair the Crayford P6 Estate with this interesting variant on the P6 Theme.

If you really can't choose what is your favourite P6 colour, or model, here is one designed by a committee

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The P6 estate looks good... the other one like like a hearse....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
white exec
Moderating Team

Post by white exec »

I used to see that multicolour P6 quite often. It carries not just most of the standard P6 body colours, but also sports Series 1 and Series 2 parts: the front grille and headlights are split, as are the rear lights and badges. IIRC, the closed bonnet is flat on one side, and has the 'cam cover' pressing on the other. The schizophrenia extended to interior trim, seating and dash. All great fun!

The owner went to a lot of trouble doing it all. At rallies, it was used as an educational item for newbies to be able to identify body colours. There was, I think, some delay in gettng insurance details agreed for the car (what was it?), and I have a vague recollection that the colours was eventually agreed as Harlequin, or something like that.
Chris
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

And I know where that P6 Estate is :)

Talking about grafting rear bodies/parts on
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Not sure about the half-timbered Jag at all...

Looks lime a Morris Minor Traveller rear end?
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

A Jaguar enthusiast who wanted to fit his two dogs in his cramped sports car found a novel solution - by fusing a Morris Minor to the back of it.

The white car, named the Foxbat, is believed to be the only one in existence in the world and was built by a Jaguar enthusiast Geoffrey Stevens in the mid 1970s.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z4DVc8U8XB
The car was up for auction in September 2011 by Bonhams.estimate £30,000 to £35,000

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Well this image which inappropriately came a search for "two cars welded together" has led me to another pair for consideration.

Strictly speaking its one car with a strip taken out of the middle and the two remaining bits welded together.

So here is the pair for consideration:-

Certainly there is link between the 2, and for me both "nice", although I do have a bit of a thing for quirky looking vans! Maybe reasonably difficult for a whatsthisthen? unless the location gives it away.

ImageImage

Finally just to make it really easy, if you were in this city, and you suddenly had a need for a pink stretch "limo", you would hope that it would be something like this...

with complete acknowledgement to Nemesis to Go for his interesting blog of his trip to that city.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:Oh...and here's another nice pair

..anyone the tiniest bit curious about the "Seaspeed" Vessel in the background...yes me as well, nice image of the times.

Regards Neil

Seaspeed: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seaspeed

I suspect from some links I followed and other Photos that it is on the slip at the Southampton terminal. Hovertravel that took over the service still operates a Ryde-Southsea service. My Dad commuted on Hovertravel for nearly 20 years - OK when it was smooth, but it got a bit hairy once the sea got up! If you're ever down that way, a trip across the Solent on an air cushion is a must - there are very few other places in the world you can do it.
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

They do have some similarities... Both are agile giants and now sadly, long gone...

It seems a shame that hovercrafts for channel crossing are now no longer. What happened to them to cause the slow and ponderous ferry to win the day?

Another VHS vs. Betamax type struggle or was it something else? The Channel Tunnel trains I guess did not help their cause?
Jim