Declaring SORN

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Declaring SORN

Post by CitroJim »

I've now taken the XM off the road and taken it off insurance cover (transferred to the C1).

As cars have to be continuously insured and my XM is now not should I declare SORN?

Also, should I now cash in the tax disc or can I leave it and perhaps sell the remaining tax to an new owner?

Thanks!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Declare SORN , keep the tax on it Jim. It makes it easier to sell. I know they're changing the law in October to stop people doing this....

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Declaring SORN

Post by CitroJim »

Thanks Mike...

SORN being declared now..
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

you must declare it SORN Jim, which you probably know you can do online with either the long number on the V5 or the tax reminder,
this is very easy

https://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPo ... =directgov" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

regarding selling the car with tax on, i have read somewhere honest.GOV.COM are making it ( if its not in place already ) so road tac will/is not transferable to the new keep
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

ps.
what Mike said
Regards, malcolm.

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

They're changing the rules about tax not being transferable at the end of October. Damn stupid IMO. It's a complete ballache to buy an untaxed car. Say one wanted to buy Jim's XM, it's untaxed and you can only get there on a Sunday when the post office is shut.

Drive it home untaxed? Make another journey in a weekday when Jim and you would have to take some time off work so you can tax it near Jim's? How are you supposed to tax it in your own name if you're not the registered keeper?

What about if the car is taxed.. how does the buyer reclaim it on the day you buy it? Same applies.. then how do you tax it?

Obviously there are ways round it but to to it the "official" way looks like it will be a nuisance for many.

citronut
My Cars:

Re:

Post by citronut »

northern_mike wrote:They're changing the rules about tax not being transferable at the end of October. Damn stupid IMO.
i think its a good idea as its all in the bid to stop uninsured drivers buying a taxed car and driving it about, i know ANPR is supposed to pick up on this, but i have had customers come to me to MOT there cars when they realised it had expired 2 or 3 months before,
northern_mike wrote: It's a complete ballache to buy an untaxed car. Say one wanted to buy Jim's XM, it's untaxed and you can only get there on a Sunday when the post office is shut.
aparently some Tesco One stop stores are going to have post office counters which will be open the same time as the store
northern_mike wrote:
How are you supposed to tax it in your own name if you're not the registered keeper?
the only way the new keeper can do this at the moment is at a post office with the new keepers supplement ( green slip )
Regards, malcolm.

KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

But they are going to make £100's of millions on the unrefunable tax and over tax being charged.

Another way to bump up the coffers for the gov by doing very little and claiming its for the good of society.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

There's obvious ways to get round it if you know the seller well enough obviously....

It makes it all very inconvenient for any of us though! All very well that a tesco might tax a car. Nearest one to me is 8 miles away through the centre of Reading. It'll do nothing to stop people driving untaxed and uninsured cars. Those that wish to do it will continue to do it. It doesn't stop them now, does it? If ANPR isn't stopping them now, it's not going to stop them in a few months either is it?

Last edited by Northern_Mike on 16 Jun 2014, 22:48, edited 1 time in total.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Exactly. As one supplier of welded security doors and grilles said to me "You can only stop the honest criminals".

For everyone else of a serious criminal leaning, extra laws are simply added frisson to the "game on" scenario. Do the UK lower courts still have the provision for poor people (who aren't there on a charge) to plead for a handout from the court's penalty revenue?
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

We still have the "victim surcharge" on fines if that's what you mean Addo? Kind of thing where they add £50 to a speeding fine and it apparently goes to helping victims of crime.

I've not been up before the beak since 1999 now so my info may be out of date.

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Often wondered what the Victim Surcharge was. Too idle to look it up :(
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re:

Post by CitroJim »

northern_mike wrote:How are you supposed to tax it in your own name if you're not the registered keeper?
I reckon you'll find you may be able to..

My C1 was pre-taxed when I collected it so there must be a way...

It'll all be connected with the plan to bin paper tax discs at about the same time anyway...
Jim

citronut
My Cars:

Re: Re:

Post by citronut »

CitroJim wrote: My C1 was pre-taxed when I collected it so there must be a way...
i think new car dealers will probably still be able to tax new car as and when they are sold Jim,

as this is different to transferring the tax to a new keeper
Regards, malcolm.

Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Plus the changes only are supposed to come in in October.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!