Phishing malware affects Halifax and maybe others

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Xaccers
My Cars:

Phishing malware affects Halifax and maybe others

Post by Xaccers »

I had a call today from one of our clients saying the Halifax had told her she has a virus.
Basically she'd gone to log into their online banking, the first stage is to put in a username and password, then you're asked for 3 letters from your memorable word, however it was asking for the entire word and your date of birth.
She'd ran a scan with AVG which found nothing, then called us. Thankfully she hadn't put in her memorable word.

I connected to her PC and she showed me what was happening.
The typed in the address for the Halifax website and followed the links to internet banking. She put in her username and password and went to the next stage where it asked for the full word etc.
At the top was the correct address, showing green (she's using IE11) for a legitimate SSL certificate for Halifax. The malware overlayed a frame to obtain the memorable word and date of birth, and I have no doubt it would probably be able to detect the 3 letters requested and enter them so you'd log in and not thing anything was wrong.

Downloading and installing malwarebytes cleaned the system with a quick scan and the login page went back to asking for 3 letters.

I doubt only the Halifax is targeted by this sophisticated malware, so be on your guard if you use internet banking!
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Phishing malware affects Halifax and maybe others

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Although I don't do Internet banking, my mother does, so I have sent her a link to this post. Thanks.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Good post Xac. I'm aware of this already, doing what I do, but many others will not be..
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Thanks Xac, a useful reminder to stay on our toes, & ensure we're always on the look-out for suspicious events/activities. Alas it's the penalty we pay for "progress".
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )