Some breezy down here in the Bottom Left!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Some breezy down here in the Bottom Left!

Post by Timmo »

Fourth storm hitting hard down here this weekend, more specifically, The Redbull Stormchasers are running the Grand final at a local beach! - Gwithian http://www.redbullstormchase.com/mission-3#node-1591" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; they've recorded winds at 116kmh (50mph?+) and the ocean bouys are recording 30ft+ swells rolling in! All getting a bit same ol' same ol' but exciting none the less! ;-) Love a Good storm,
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Re: Some breezy down here in the Bottom Left!

Post by daviemck2006 »

I used to love a good storm when I was a fisherman. It made the job exciting! Even better when we could not work in it. head to the wind, 1/2 engine speed and just bob up and down without moving watching huge waves going by. A few hairy moments when a big one hits the boat though! Still love a storm yet, can sit for hours watching the sea when it is stormy. Keep my distance though, theres nothing more powerful than an angry mother nature. We are quite breezy up here top right also.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Timmo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Timmo »

Full respect for career as a fisherman! Massively undervalued people IMO!

'58 C2 Code
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

I'm paying for it now. was a fisherman for 25 years, then been a bus driver since. I put my current back problems down to all those years of hard manual labour on a moving surface, lifting heavy weights on your own, slipping about and battering off bulkheads,stanchions etc. Yes, made big money, but now at 50 cant work. Many fishermen are burnt out early. My father never worked after 50, I have a few cousins that had to stop fishing, but found something ashore to do in their 50's. I wonder if I had had a "normal" job/career if I wouldn't have the problems I have now. Who knows! I wouldn't have had the excitement. I would never have seen us making £1100 pay leaving the house midnight and back home 22 hours later, in 1991. Thats excitement!!!!!!!! Then there is the times I left the house on sunday night and got home on saturday with no pay. That was the unpredictability of it. Would I go back to it? No chance. Would I advise my 19 year old son to go to it? I have done and he is considering it. A hard life, and I would say you need to be born into it, as I was. Father, most of my uncles, both grandfathers and their fathers before them. The sea runs in my blood!
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Timmo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Timmo »

Wow!
The good lady knows a family from St Ives who are part of the Hand liners mackerel fishermen, always a sense of romance about the vision of pottering out across the bay, calm seas and Sun shining, Normally couldnt be further from the truth! Hehe! ;-)

Had been involved in sailing upto I got m.e., worked out that balance issues and concentration losses are not helpful on a boat! :-D but was always out on a boat when younger, living down here, Not having something to do with the sea is quite difficult! Haha! :-D

'58 C2 Code
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)

Post by daviemck2006 »

I would think that fishing and the sea was as important to cornwall as it was here. I have been in cornwall and managed to find my way round a fair few harbours whilst there. Its a great shame that fishing has been so poor in recent times. Yes greed was partially to blame, but that happens in all industries. At least Cornwall has a good tourist industry now, ours is not so good, but there is more people at oil related jobs here so it's swings and roundabouts I suppose. And not really much difference that we are all dependant on mother nature, and she seems to be punishing all of us just now for some reason, and not just the SW or the NE, but everywhere inbetween also.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Timmo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Timmo »

Yeah for Certain the whole country is getting a Smashing at the mo! Over 20% of Somerset is underwater at the mo! Peoples houses have had the ground washed away from them, farmers crops and livestock seriously threatened,
Is a Real shock how much has come in and how quickly with more to come!

'58 C2 Code