Bx16v Retro rivals

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

bxzx16v
My Cars: Past Frenchies , 4xBx16v,1xBxGti,1xBxTzd,2xZx Volcanes,1xZx reflex,1xPug 405mi16, 3x Xantia 1.9td's,1x Xantia activa, 2x Renault 25 V6 turbo, 1 Zx16v ,1 Pug 406 V6 coupe ,1x C8 , 1x Berlingo van , 1x Xanti 2.1td , 1x Renault Laguna 3

Bx16v Retro rivals

Post by bxzx16v »

I was talking to a work mate today about cars we've had/dreamed of in our younger days , he was telling me about an MG metro turbo which he had , and said when it ran it was great fun but it very rarely ran and when you were to go around a corner at speed fuel would spew out allover the wheel :oops: . I was telling him about cars which I thought were going to be good but turned out to be anything but . First up it's 1993 and I'd had a couple of Bx16v's but for some crazy reason wanted a change so I thought I'd give an MG montego turbo a try , I found one locally and went over in the Bx to have a look and a test drive , the seller was saying how good they were and how quick it was so I took it out for a drive . Well all I can say is NAFF , there's not even one good point about the MG , plenty of bad points yes , I didn't get it obviously and kept the Bx . Next up another car which I thought would be good but turned out to be rubbish was Sunderlands finest a Nissan bluebird 1.8 Zx turbo with a full bodykit , very eyecatching at the time . I went to see one near where I worked at the time and wanted it SO bad so I took it out for a spin and found out what a pile of crap they are , not particulary quick and just plain boring to drive , the Bmw E30 323i I had at the time would have destroyed it , the Bx valver wouldn't have had to draw sweat . The only rivals which I have drove which came close and in some ways bettered the Bx were the Renault 21 Turbo , I drove a friends at the time and I was speechless , WHAT a car but sadly I never got chance to own one . The next was the Bx16v's cousin the Peugeot 405 Mi16 , this was that nice I bought it , a 1990 G reg in silver , a real beauty , quick , sleek and superb handling with a fantastic ride too , I ran this for a few months but I missed the rawness of the Bx so sold it on and guess what , I got another Bx16v in silver , well that's my remenicing over for today , does anybody else have any stories to tell of cars they were expecting to be great and turned out to be dogs ?

Mark
2009 Landrover Freelander 2 TD4se (killed an Audi) , sadly now gone .
2012 Landrover Freelander 2 SD4 AUTO Love it . Now gone .
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 Ecoboost Zetec . Fantastic little machine .Gone now.
2014 Ford Focus 2.0 Tdci Zetec S with the French heart.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Bx16v Retro rivals

Post by CitroJim »

I had am MG Metro Turbo Mark. I loved it and I always regretted passing it on. Had it from brand new in 1986 and traded it in for a Metro Vanden Plas after two years as it was already showing signs of rust despite me treating it like a baby :(

The biggest problem was a lack of fifth gear. It was 'busy' at motorway speeds...

It was never a moment's bother and it was an absolute hoot. A pal had one at the same time and we used to compare notes much as we do here but that was long before forums.. He then traded up to a 205 GTi and there was no turning back. I badly wanted a 205GTi but work and life in general prevented it. I never lost the dream and finally got my GTi in 2004 and yes, it was a good then as it was when I first ever saw and rode in one when they were brand new 8-)

I had five Metros in all. Two MGs, one Turbo, one Vanden Plas and later a 1.1 K-series one which if anything suffered even worse build quality than the Turbo. Shame as otherwise it was a lovely little car...

That Metro was my last non-PSA car. It went in favour of a 405GRD and the rest is history...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

the Mg metro turbo allows were So well powder coated from new that under Very hard breaking the tyres Could slip on the rims!! i used to walk passed the rover garage quite often on the way back from the beach and see them about the place,
i have to say the Biggest dissapointment i had was an old Wedge shape Nissan silvia Turbo, '89 age i think it was, 1 owner from new, sadly, she was an old lady who lived in torquay, she traded it on a New micra and i went to deliver it, (took trade plates even though both were taxed as didnt want anyone to think it was my micra!!! ) the guys in the garage were waxing about the Silvia, 1.8 turbo, bit of a beast, Well, i honestly thought the turbo had been disconected!! it was an awful drive back, Flat out it wouldnt manage to break tripple digits! and my word did it drink!!
also very dissapointed by the saxo vtr's! had loads traded on the clio's at the renault garage, they were just gutless, mind you, having the bx16v at the time, they were 60+bhp short!! wouldnt even break traction in the Snow!!
there was (and still is) a section on the road out of the village between the garage and the petrol st\tion, 2 signs, 440yards apart, one with limit one and the other a warning of, so i'd test all the cars i fuelled up on 30mph - what ever it could get to through the gears between the two sign posts, Some suprises, have them listed on the inside of my old work folder! ;-)
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
bxzx16v
My Cars: Past Frenchies , 4xBx16v,1xBxGti,1xBxTzd,2xZx Volcanes,1xZx reflex,1xPug 405mi16, 3x Xantia 1.9td's,1x Xantia activa, 2x Renault 25 V6 turbo, 1 Zx16v ,1 Pug 406 V6 coupe ,1x C8 , 1x Berlingo van , 1x Xanti 2.1td , 1x Renault Laguna 3

Post by bxzx16v »

The silvia turbo looked awesome Timmo , but with the same pants engine as the bluebird a load of poop by the sounds of things , how's the Bx going Timmo ?

Mark
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

Yeah that sounds about right fella!
The BX is in a Sorry state! Is black-green 2 tone at the mo! Lol desperately need to get it home drom Fathers drive so can work on it but is convienient having it there!
Plans are a foot though! ;-)
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
bxzx16v

Post by bxzx16v »

Keep us posted Timmo , I need a regular Bx16v fix :wink:

Mark