Driving music

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Northern_Mike

Re: Driving music

Post by Northern_Mike »

Citroening wrote::oops: :lol: :wink:

Can't say I've probably ever listened to Radio 4 Jim...I'll give it a whirl tomorrow... :wink:
IME, age wise, it usually goes like this

2-25 - Radio 1/Capital/XFM/Heart/other noisy rubbish (can you tell I'm nearly 40?)
27-40 - Radio 2/Virgin/Absolute with bits of R4 interspersed. Accidentally getting into the Archers is a favourite of mine.
40-80 - Radio 4
80+ - Radio 3 until death...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I love the Archers :-D

No, seriously. I do.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

CitroJim wrote:I love the Archers :-D

No, seriously. I do.
I've always found myself listening to it by accident - missed the start, just heard the voices, and "got into it" each time.. weird how it draws you in really. :-D
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

One of the women on the Archers sounds like Jane Middlemiss and her voice makes my legs go all wobbly :D

I've got a program on my PC upstairs called Radio Downloader, it finds podcasts and automatically downloads them for me to a DropBox folder so I can easily transfer them to my mobile where ever I am to listen to, it's come in very handy for the London train journey when I've run out of TV series or films to watch.
I've subscribed to The Now Show, News Quiz Extra, I'm Sorry I'll read that again, Old Harry's Game and Bleak Expectations. Oh and Dr Who and the Pyramids of Mars.

The 6:30pm friday slot which is either the News Quiz (think Have i got news for you) or the Now Show with punt and denis (worth watching live) is repeated for the 12:30pm Saturday slot.

Mondays traditionally are the old school/high brow comedies such as I'm sorry I haven't a clue and Just a minute.
Tuesdays are normally rubbish
Wednesdays can be hit or miss.
Thursdays can be OK, and Fridays are normally good with The Now show, The news quiz and if memory serves Dead Ringers was also on Fridays.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Xac wrote: Mondays traditionally are the old school/high brow comedies such as I'm sorry I haven't a clue and Just a minute.
They're two shows I particularly enjoy :-D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

CitroJim wrote:
Xac wrote: Mondays traditionally are the old school/high brow comedies such as I'm sorry I haven't a clue and Just a minute.
They're two shows I particularly enjoy :-D
I particularly enjoy playing along with Mornington Crescent, I nearly won once.

DIY sphere tool
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

CitroJim wrote:
Do! 12:30 tomorrow lunchtime. The News Quiz with Sandy Toksvig. I guarantee you'll cry laughing. Not all of R4 is serious and it does have some incredibly good comedy of which the above is an example; a satirical look at the news in the past week...

Then after Sandy has made you giggle you can listen to Any Questions. A serious look at the news of the past week...

And don't miss Gardeners Question Time on Sunday afternoon :wink:
The wife used to listen to R4 24/7 and I haven't listened to it since she left.

Put the News Quiz on iPlayer, most amusing.
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

I do listen to a bit of R4 every now and then, Jim's fault that. I always seem to catch it when documentaries are on, some very interesting ones mind. Last one I listened to was the life of a bullet. I know what you mean about The Archers drawing you in, listened to that a few times.

I think I've been spoilt with the CD Changer in the XM, at the end of the month I'll be digging my tapes out again ready for the Xantia to rock and roll. I like listening to Symphonic Metal, Nightwish and Sonata Arctica are my favourites. Classic FM and Heart are also listened to regularly. This is my favourite song at the moment:

Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

red_dwarfers wrote:I do listen to a bit of R4 every now and then, Jim's fault that. I always seem to catch it when documentaries are on, some very interesting ones mind. Last one I listened to was the life of a bullet. I know what you mean about The Archers drawing you in, listened to that a few times.

I think I've been spoilt with the CD Changer in the XM, at the end of the month I'll be digging my tapes out again ready for the Xantia to rock and roll. I like listening to Symphonic Metal, Nightwish and Sonata Arctica are my favourites. Classic FM and Heart are also listened to regularly. This is my favourite song at the moment:

I always liked Nemo

DIY sphere tool
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

That's my second favourite track!

I'm going to see Nightwish live at the Birmingham O2 Academy in November, I am extremely excited about that :-D :-D :-D :-D
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Junkman
My Cars:

Re:

Post by Junkman »

addo wrote:I'm actually fortunate (usually!) in being one of those people who can constantly hear music in my head.

It makes a choice of external tunes, less imperative.
This is pretty much true for me as well. What I listed is pretty much what I hear in my head when driving, apart from the voices...
In my cars, where the radio belongs there is usually a big rectangular hole puking all sorts of wires.
If there really was a radio, it would only disturb my daydreaming.

Furthermore, I have several big bloody V8s - no radio necessary.

In the increasingly rare cases when there is actually a working radio fitted in my car, I rather listen to somebody talking.
I love those farmer stations and can listen to them for hours. Hence I know a lot about raising pigs, that grass is best mowed after a rain, etc.
1994 Peugeot 405 GTX 2.0 auto estate
1992 Citroen BX 19 TXD estate
Junkman
My Cars:

Post by Junkman »

On 16th, Reverend Peyton and the Big Damn Band have a gig at the Robin 2 in Wolverhampton.
See yars there?
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Gardening programs on the radio always (here) seem to have at least one question about a lemon tree. The formulaic nature of these shows, suggests to me that calls are filtered to cover a variety of topic bases, not simply reflect what a majority of callers may actually have questions on.

My in-head driving music for today is Orange Blossom Special; the Hellecasters version. All that widdly-diddly guitarwork!
Xaccers
My Cars:

Re:

Post by Xaccers »

addo wrote:Gardening programs on the radio always (here) seem to have at least one question about a lemon tree. The formulaic nature of these shows, suggests to me that calls are filtered to cover a variety of topic bases, not simply reflect what a majority of callers may actually have questions on.

My in-head driving music for today is Orange Blossom Special; the Hellecasters version. All that widdly-diddly guitarwork!
Ah but haven't you guys got a type of lemon that is mild enough to eat like an orange making it very popular?

DIY sphere tool
Junkman
My Cars:

Re:

Post by Junkman »

addo wrote:Gardening programs on the radio always (here) seem to have at least one question about a lemon tree. The formulaic nature of these shows, suggests to me that calls are filtered to cover a variety of topic bases, not simply reflect what a majority of callers may actually have questions on.

OK, I had to youtube that (the first piece in this here thread I didn't know yet), but it turned out to be straight oop me alley. So hey, I appreciate it.

You might like the Folsom Prison Blues by Black Rain.

Entirely btw, my lemon tree carried one fruit. Then came the hailstorm.