Base model charm

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: Base model charm

Post by spider »

I can imagine over there its standard more or less though.

I do remember seeing an imported newish 206 base model with AC, the denim seat trim, no C/L, no airbag (the only 206 I've ever seen without one) but it had AC.

But over here in the UK at that time it seems manufacturers generally did not seem to think it justified its expense or perhaps buyers would not pay extra for it, assuming it was available in the first place that is...

I'd still like to hear from anyone who purchased a new UK car in between say 1980 and 1990 regarding if AC was ever an option, obviously prestige it would be but normal, run of the mill...
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

spider wrote: I'd still like to hear from anyone who purchased a new UK car in between say 1980 and 1990 regarding if AC was ever an option, obviously prestige it would be but normal, run of the mill...
Not on the new Metros I bought in that time... Not even on the Vanden Plas one I bought in 1989

First car I had with aircom was a series 2 405.

I believe it was on the 205 Gentry wasn't it Andy?

Early small cars with aircon was very much the domain of the Japs if I recall correctly...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

We had a new (well new company car) Metro was an X plate brought it off them after 3 years. It burned out an exhaust valve at about 130K actually. Long since scrapped now. I don't think the behemoth that was the BL group did A/C unless you counted panel gaps :oops: :-D :-k

Regarding the 205: The Gentry had full leather, compared to the part leather of the GTi and aircon fitted too. Seems very rare.

The Japanese GTi 205, I've only ever seen one. It was auto and A/C. I seem to think they all were for that market. Apart from that it appeared to resemble our 1.9GTi in specification, ie half leather and the usual electrics.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

spider wrote: The Japanese GTi 205, I've only ever seen one. It was auto and A/C. I seem to think they all were for that market. Apart from that it appeared to resemble our 1.9GTi in specification, ie half leather and the usual electrics.
I believe they were all built for export to Japan. Japan then cancelled the order so the ones that were built were sold off in the UK, being RHD.

Very rare and very desirable. Even more so in my opinion than the Radio 1 25th anniversary 205 GTi of which only 25 were built and each had a brass plate in the door shut to commemorate the fact...

The last gentry I knew of was derelict and barely restorable. Such a shame... That was about 7 years ago now...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Citroenmad wrote:I used to really like base model cars, their simplicity is excellent and you realise you dont really need all that much to make a car work.

The 2cv is a bit extreme for me
Having complained about my Punto, I would hapilly use a 2cv as my daily driver. No problem at all. I just can't find one cheap enough! I have done in the past for more than a year, and we had them as our only family car for years when I was a kid. The brakes are fantastic, the gearchange is perfect and in exactly the right place (what other car allows you to have a hand on the gearlever, with your thumb able to operate the indicators, while holding the steering wheel with your other hand, with a fag on, and propping the drivers window open with your elbow in true French style?!) The windows are both simple and fast to open (And for me, at least, I can open both from the drivers seat), the airconditioning (flap) is great and reliable, and the seats are comfy. They're economical, easy to work on and they put a smile on my face every time I drive one. They're also the only car I've ever had that you can drive absolutely flat out down a decent country road, scare your passengers half to death, pretend you are Nigel Mansell/Damon Hill/Michael Schumacher/ and never go above 60mph, all at once!

The only problem I have with them is that they are less safe than a box with a cardboard frame and tinfoil sides in an accident.

I LOVE 2cvs.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

spider wrote:..

I'd still like to hear from anyone who purchased a new UK car in between say 1980 and 1990 regarding if AC was ever an option, obviously prestige it would be but normal, run of the mill...
Didn't most British cars come with inbuilt aircon back then - ie holes?

A friend's Rover 216 on an E-Plate had aircon. I recall being surprised - we'd lived in Hong Kong before, and even our crappy old 1976 Honda Civic estate had AC there. I'd never seen it on a British car other than a friend's Rover SD1 before . The 216 was really a Honda though wasn't it?
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

AC was never really popular until the mid to late 90s here. Even a lot of high end big cars did without AC at that time. Thankfully just about every car is available with it and if not as standard then it is optional. I am always a bit dissapointed if a car I like has not got AC and I would never choose a model without AC out of choice.

AC in cars has became more efficient from the 80s and 90s, which kind of sees off the thoughts of it drinking fuel. My C5s fuel economy does not notice if I have the AC on or not. The AC unit on the C1 is tiny, it works very well but must be quite efficient. That said you can feel a slight drop in power when its on, but not much, it will still sit at 80 with 4 people in and the AC on with power to spare ... how small cars have came along! :lol:
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Chris, I just wouldn't buy a car without AC these days, even if it was a model I really liked. If that Activa that Mungkie bought had AC, I would have taken a punt on it, but it didn't..
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Rattiva_Mike wrote:Chris, I just wouldn't buy a car without AC these days, even if it was a model I really liked. If that Activa that Mungkie bought had AC, I would have taken a punt on it, but it didn't..
Exactly my thoughts Mike. It is something I find very diffuclt to do without now and my C5 and Xantias each have very cold air conditioning.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

The last base model car I had was an E reg Sierra Sapphire 1.8L Pinto engine before that I had an Mi16 so was a bit of come down.

I to could not do without A/C my C5 is mainly left on auto on the climate panel just makes for more comfy driving.
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
R9UKE
My Cars:

Post by R9UKE »

Citroenmad wrote:
One reason I really like the C1/107 and Aygo group is for their very well designed but simplistic approach to motoring. They have what you need but few luxuries. However, everything you need to touch feels nice
Are you having a giraffe!?

We'll clearly never agree that the C1/107/Aygo trio is misery at it's finest (now tacky misery as I see they've been given the LED running light treatment), but you can't seriously describe the interior as nice!? The heater/fan controls are the absolute epitome of cheap. Quality that even Poundland would be insulted by... The dial for the fan and those stupid toggles on either side are about as well made as those little green plastic soldiers that you get 1000 for 49p. Then there's that exhaust note that's ALWAYS audible. Fine if it's nice, not if it sounds like an 80s Metro in need of a few patch ups. Exposed metal everywhere... Sorry, but the little Chevy Spark is fifteen times the car. And don't question that until you've driven one!!

AC for me is not a necessity. Here in NI I'll just use the Avantime for the 5 days of glorious sunshine we get a year. One thing that annoys me about Citroens and Peugeots is that the AC is always on with the climate in auto. With Renaults, it only comes on if the car needs cooled or is too humid - makes more sense and better for those fuel concious motorists.

I'm drawn to low spec V6s for some reason. There's something even more outrageous about a big petrol V6 and very few toys to distract you from enjoying the engine, as people just expect a V6 engine to be flagship spec wise as well. One of the reasons I love my Laguna Dynamique V6. Lowest spec V6 you could get.... no auto wipers or lights, auto dimming mirrors, sat nav, CD changer etc etc. But it's not at the extreme where I have to open each door separately or wind down windows.... not sure I could live with that :lol: :lol:

With regards to the original post, yes absolutely, on an AX or 205 poverty spec is the way to go!!
French is best.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I think cheap and tacky is the norm these days Luke..

I thought an Audi A3 was incredibly poor in the interior department last time I had the misfortune to travel in one and I thought Audi stood for German quality in all respects. I saw no evidence of it in that particular car...
Jim

Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

R9UKE wrote:
Citroenmad wrote:
One reason I really like the C1/107 and Aygo group is for their very well designed but simplistic approach to motoring. They have what you need but few luxuries. However, everything you need to touch feels nice
Are you having a giraffe!?

We'll clearly never agree that the C1/107/Aygo trio is misery at it's finest (now tacky misery as I see they've been given the LED running light treatment), but you can't seriously describe the interior as nice!? The heater/fan controls are the absolute epitome of cheap. Quality that even Poundland would be insulted by... The dial for the fan and those stupid toggles on either side are about as well made as those little green plastic soldiers that you get 1000 for 49p. Then there's that exhaust note that's ALWAYS audible. Fine if it's nice, not if it sounds like an 80s Metro in need of a few patch ups. Exposed metal everywhere... Sorry, but the little Chevy Spark is fifteen times the car. And don't question that until you've driven one!!
I think I can safely say that I have driven a C1 more frequently and I don't agree at all. If you want excellent quality then you wont be buying a basic C1 for £5,995!

I actually love the design of the C1 trios interior, its different and quirky. So all the pastics might not be excellent but they are not at all bad. I have seen and been in C1s with high miles and they hold together well. The exhaust note is NOT always audible, rev it abot 3K and it is but even sitting above that at speed is not loud. Have the ones you driven had the genuine Citroen exausts or cheap aftermarkets? I like the exhaust note and usually give ours a good thrashing just to hear it!

Having previously had an AX and a Saxo the quality of the C1 is far superior. It also beats the C2 and C3 for me, which do feel very cheap inside. See, they have tried too hard with those cars, they have made things more fiddly and more complicated than they need be, and so made them very badly. The C1 is very simple in its design and it works excellently.

I can not stand the look of a Spark, nor could I ever own a car called that name. It could well be built like a Volvo for all I care and it would still not appeal.

Luke, I can see where your coming from, but the C1 needs a different look to appreciate its charms....

I got one of the first Peugeot 107s as a loan car. I had to drive it 100 miles in the pouring rain. When I set off I wondered if the back box had fallen off, the road noise at motorway speeds was higher than normal due to the rain and the engine seemed gutless. I was very glad to give it back. I was annoyed as I had wanted to like it. However, I realise that I was missing the point of the car ... I had been so used to driving our 1.9DCi (what were we thinking!) ScenicII and has just returned from doing 3000 miles in it wihin two weeks. Take a C1 trio for what it is, a cheap and simple little car which is very cheap to run, has an engine with character (for me one of the best bits of the car) and they prove to be among the most reliable of modern cars.

I was the driving force in getting our C1 and I am very happy we went with it. As is everyone else who drives the car. Its fantastic for pottering around town and its very fun to drive and throw about.

I dont like the new running lights but all new cars will need them to pass the requirements before long.

Im dissapointed with the quality of Audis lately too. A 2010 A3 I drove was surprisingly bad for interior quality and plastics. However the 2011 TT cabrio I had a go of was much worse, tacky and cheap plastcis everywhere. The road noise was almost unbearable too. Compared to a C1 it wa svery similar on both interior quality and plastics, but then a C1 does not cost £30K :shock: :lol:
Last edited by Citroenmad on 19 Sep 2012, 20:53, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

One of our neighbours has a 'facelift' C1 in metallic blue. Apart from the silly DRLs I think it looks lovely and perhaps a little better than the outgoing model as it seems a bit curvier and I like curves :-D Perhaps it's because blue suits it and I like blue cars...

The interior is far and away better than say, the Pixo or the Poxhall Agila which I guess is the C1's close rivals. Against those two there's no competition.

Do no criticism of puddle jumpers until you've been up close and personal to a Nissan Pixo :lol: :lol: :lol: They bring a whole new meaning to the word 'wretched'...
Jim

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

I went from a C5 2.2hdi sx to a 107 urban lite. Thats from lots of comfort, equipment, and IMHO quality, to as basic as they come. I have 4 wheels, simple engine, pas and a heater and that is it. I do not miss the aircon, would much rather have a sunroof anyway, do not miss CL, never lock it, do not miss EW or any of the other goodies. I do miss the cruise and comfort. However the 107 seems like more than the sum of its parts. It is good fun to drive, needs revving to get its best, it gets addictive, but the best bits and its reason that I bought it is 65mpg, £112 insurance and £20 road tax. Sure it's not the most tactile interior in the world, but my one doing 500 miles a week is very impressive for its reliability and lack of rattles or squeaks to drive me mad. I have long been a champion of the lowest spec cars, more concerned with the biggest engine, pref derv. If you got a 107 or C1 with the 1.6hdi16v engine from a C3or similar, what a car that would be. As far as space in the 107. I am 6'0", a bit overweight and fit in the 107 a lot better than you would think, and quite comfortably, however no rear space and small boot, but rear seats never used, and easy to fold down when required. And for 5G for one a year old was incredible value.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2