"Friction Modifiers" in Trans/PAS Fluids

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

"Friction Modifiers" in Trans/PAS Fluids

Post by addo »

I am concerned that people are misunderstanding these components of a fluid blend. The following is my layman's interpretation of reading over a number of years. While I did "do" thermofluids many years ago at uni, it never touched on petrochemical engineering and I was NOT a stellar student! :oops:

There seems to be a subconscious idea they(friction modifiers) physically help grip. Almost as though they were pumice powder!

In fact, they reduce friction. So - why are they used in items where friction is a part of operation? When you have two rotating or sliding items meeting surfaces at differing speeds, there is (naturally) frictional drag, despite the oil film. This creates localised or flash temperatures which are pretty darned high - enough to scorch or damage an unmodified oil - a sign of the heat causing unwanted outcomes is the brown glazing; tarry deposits from elements of degraded oil that have glued themselves to the surface.

Ultimately, it is temperature which damages fluids like PAS fluid or ATF, or LHM. By reducing the incidence or severity of temperature spikes, friction modifiers preserve the fluid qualities appreciably longer. The increased purity of full synth oils/fluids means that either tolerances can be improved, service intervals extended, or duty specifications increased because although they also degrade, it result in less "tarry" deposit forming than extracted mineral oils.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Re: "Friction Modifiers" in Trans/PAS Fluids

Post by xantia_v6 »

Prompted to do some googling, a couple of (non-authoratative but interesting) links:

This one explains why Dextron will wear a transmission designed for type F (and maybe LT71141?) fluid.
http://60degreev6.com/forum/showthread. ... luid-Facts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This one gives a bit of info of the use of frichtion modifiers in LSDs (the long post in the midle of the page)
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub ... 496&page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;