Whats your favorite brand of filter?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

nametooshort
My Cars:

Whats your favorite brand of filter?

Post by nametooshort »

So, what filters do you guys use on your beloved vehicles?

Do you have a certain preference? Do you hate Fram, or is it a case of Fram or nothing? Or do you just use whatever they have on the shelf at the time?

I don't have much of a particular preference. They are mostly made in the same factories anyways, or at least using the same tooling. I don't hate Fram. Although there are stories of all types of terrible things happening with Fram filters, its never happened to me.

The only preference I have is I try to find filters with a non-return valve. Often cheaper pattern filters don't have one of those, and it means the oil galleries of your engine slowly drain, whereas filters with a valve prevent that.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Re: Whats your favorite brand of filter?

Post by Citroenmad »

I always get genuine Citroen filters, for a few reasons ... With the metal type ones you can see it and so its badged Citroen ... They are the proper ones and so I dont have to worry about getting a cheap or filter which could be better. However, I usually try and pick them up at Citroen events at trade stalls, which means I dont often have to pay full price for them.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Northern_Mike

Re: Whats your favorite brand of filter?

Post by Northern_Mike »

nametooshort wrote:So, what filters do you guys use on your beloved vehicles?

Or do you just use whatever they have on the shelf at the time?
That option. Whatever's there. I'm not sure filters are massively important these days, with such good oils and quality of materials and manufacturing techniques used in building modern engines. I think the oil itself is important, as the turbo failures in the smaller HDi motors show - gummed up oil feeds, turbo fails. Nothing to do with the filter at all. Stupid design maybe.

So, I just use whatever is there. At the moment, I use dealer bits, because the dealer is but 3 miles drive away, and is closer than any other motor factor..