Why are we so nice? Discuss.

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Why are we so nice? Discuss.

Post by rory_perrett »

In a mellow and reflective mood, after a particularly good whisky courtesy of daughter No.1’s boyfriend, and I was just thinking. Why are we all so nice?

To explain, I frequent 3 internet forums this one, a 4x4 related one and a kitcar one. Both of the other two are frequently the place of arguments, back biting and general unnecessary unpleasantness and personal attacks which are things rarely seen here, well in the Citroen and chat bits I read.

Is it that people who buy French cars are nicer than average or does owning a French car make you nice?
Xaccers
My Cars:

Re: Why are we so nice? Discuss.

Post by Xaccers »

FCF = Fewer Cantancerous Farts :)
I think to be into Citroens, especially hydraulic ones, you need to be of a somewhat geeky mind on a slightly different level to most people.
Also the forum members help a great deal, we won't tolerate bad manners or offensive behaviour from other members, so anyone new that tries to act up is shown quite quickly the it is unacceptable, often by a withdrawal of support (who wants to help someone who is rude and ungrateful?) so eventually they either play nice or leave.
We expand slowly with the regular participants which helps keep the atmosphere the same.
None of us would put up with bullying of any kind. Sometimes a post is made and taken the wrong way due to a lack of smilies and we get a contact about it, we investigate and reassure that no malice was intended which smooths ruffled feathers. I think most members would be horrified if they thought they had offended or upset another member.
As I said, we are very lucky to have the members we do, it makes running the forum so much easier, and that is another thing I think helps, it's your forum, not ours, we just manage it as best we can :)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I think if you are willing to own a car that exposes one so brutally to everything from public opprobrium to gross inconvenience (sort of like wearing a kilt, I guess) then it may knock the edges off a rougher character.

There's also a preponderance of people who use their cars here, vs "gunna" types.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i think the Admin should take all the credit, plus a bit of the green blood in the system and loads of PERCY WHAT SIT :yikes:

:teabag: :dom: :peaceman:

i dont think its the hydraulic factor as there have bin in the passed some heavy upsets on the BX club forun, (seems to have settled down these days,

must be as members really get to know each other
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

whoooops why didnt the peace smiley come out

flipping Admin :twisted: :shock: :roll: :lol: :wink:
Regards, malcolm.

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Fixed Malcolm :)
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Xac wrote:FCF = Fewer Cantancerous Farts :)
I think to be into Citroëns, especially hydraulic ones, you need to be of a somewhat geeky mind on a slightly different level to most people.
Also the forum members help a great deal, we won't tolerate bad manners or offensive behaviour from other members, so anyone new that tries to act up is shown quite quickly the it is unacceptable, often by a withdrawal of support (who wants to help someone who is rude and ungrateful?) so eventually they either play nice or leave.
We expand slowly with the regular participants which helps keep the atmosphere the same.
None of us would put up with bullying of any kind. Sometimes a post is made and taken the wrong way due to a lack of smilies and we get a contact about it, we investigate and reassure that no malice was intended which smooths ruffled feathers. I think most members would be horrified if they thought they had offended or upset another member.
As I said, we are very lucky to have the members we do, it makes running the forum so much easier, and that is another thing I think helps, it's your forum, not ours, we just manage it as best we can :)
I agree with Xac's post.
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

I am not nice ha I really drive a Vauxhall ha..................here as a spy. :^o
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

waynedance wrote:I am not nice ha I really drive a Vauxhall ha..................here as a spy. :^o
I have a close friend who has a Vauxhall and she's now considering swapping it in for a... Aglia which I believe is another Vauxhall... Still, never mind. My neighbours have Vauxhalls so I'm surrounded by them. Lovely people though so I can forgive their choice of car..

I think you've generally covered it Xac and I fully agree. Thing is though we on this forum have to do very, very little moderation at all. Our busiest job is keeping out blatant spammers and keeping it going technically...

In all the years I've been involved I've met and spoken to many, many members and always found them really great people; I count many as close friends and friendships have been forged that go beyond the cars...

I enjoy rallies not so much for the cars but the people.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

That's another good point Jim, many of us have actually met, we're not just faceless people from the tinterweb .
I go along to rallies not for the cars but to catch up with my fellow forum members.
Invariably most rallies turn into FCF meets :)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

Very much so, CCC events are usualy mostly made up of FCF, CXM and BXC members and all of you are a nice bunch and easy to get on with, it does make it a lot more personal than any other furum ive been on.

A lot of sites seem to be full of trolls and snipers, these sites seem to suffer a pleasant absence of such people.

The xm forum where i mod is also a very easy going site, moderating seems to consist of correcting links, helping post pictures for people and removing the odd bit of spam, thats just about it really. Maybe the sort of nutter that ownes a Citroen is just an easy going sort of person, who knows.

D

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Punch-drunk, and therefore malleable?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

naaa its the green blood that passivises us all :shock: :lol: :wink:

maybe they should administer it on the NHS to repeated trouble makers, in small doses to start with you understand :twisted: :roll: :lol: :wink:
Regards, malcolm.

waynedance

Post by waynedance »

I am faceless, not met anyone yet, maybe a meet near me soon that I can attend.
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
Xantianut
My Cars: 2002 C5 2.0 HDi 110 SX

RIP:
1993 Xantia 1.8i LX
1989 BX16TRS
1986 BX14E x 2

Post by Xantianut »

Ay up!

I'm a faceless one meself right now but I reckon its because we're all adults and have the knack of getting on. Simple as that.

My other great passion in life is railways, both real and model. I've found most of the model rail fora full of COFs (Cantankerous Old Farts) within which the "discussions" are flat statements, followed by flat denials, followed by personal abuse. I am active on the LMS (45212) and LNER (Blink Bonny) fora which are full of reasonable people.

I'm also active on the LDV and Transit fora plus Practically Classics and they saeem a good bunch as well. Is it because that we mainly own what are considered modern classics so tend to be little older and a little more intelligent?

Oh, if you're wondering "fora" is the correct plural for "forum." He said. Pendantically. Guess who studied Archaelogy with a tutor of Ancient Languages?
C5 HDi 110 SX (Fifi 7 or Otterchops)

RIP
Citroen Xantia 1.8i LX (Fifi 6)
BX16TRS (x2) (Fifi 4 and 5)
BX19DTR (Fifi 2)
BX14E (x2) (Fifi 1 and 3)