Unintended Pets

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Unintended Pets

Post by addo »

I've acquired another interloper - a juvenile black rat. Rescued from Kitty's jaws, he seems to be pulling up reasonably well. Likes his sliced apple.

To even the score, cat has killed two more in the last day...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I've named him Sak.

For once, hands are super-clean (from scrubbing heater box parts every night).
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Re: Unintended Pets

Post by red_dwarfers »

Aww bless, it does look sweet!

Our cat (Biscuits) was an unintended pet. We were on a camping holiday in Wales a few years ago and this kitten started to jump up between the inner and outer sheet :twisted: it wasn't until she started to sleep in our tent that we though she was rather cute and fluffy.
We spoke to the owners of the rather small camp site and it turns out she had hitched a lift with a previous family and when it came to home time the kitten was no where to be seen, so she was abandoned. The campsite owners had reluctantly started to look after her, trying and failing to get any contact with the previous family. They had noticed that she had taken to us so we took her (and the spare cat food!) home with their blessing.
She's still a fairly dinky cat and is knocking on a bit now but she likes nothing more than supervising me or Dad when we're working on something outside, going as far as to following us up to the garages. She tries to make it obvious that we're not being followed as almost every time we turn around she'll pause and turn her head :lol: Except when we're walking down from the car after being out, she proper trots up to meet us!
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

We had a cat in Saudi called Biscuit :)
Some friends of ours had taken him in as a stray to replace their previous Biscuit who thought he couod fly when they lived on the third floor of some flats :(
They moved back to Scotland and we were to look after him until they had arranged quarentine.
That of course was never done, and he became part of the family.
Out there the supermarkets use brown paper bags like in the US, and we'd put one on its side and tap the bottom, then you'd end up with a paper bag sliding around the lounge propelled by a pair of ginger legs sticking out the top :)
He also used to fall asleep on my dad's feet whenever he lay on the sofa.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Xac wrote:We had a cat in Saudi called Biscuit :)
Some friends of ours had taken him in as a stray to replace their previous Biscuit who thought he couod fly when they lived on the third floor of some flats
What I write below is 100% true, however much like a load of complete cock it appears to be..

I am a cat lover, and have many books on the subject. One interesting part is some "research" carried out by a Canadian doctor after his cat fell off the wheel of his private plane in the 60s at 1500ft. He was surprised when the cat turned up at home a couple of days later unharmed. Buoyed by this, and living in the non-PC 60s, he went and caught some stray cats, flew up in his plane, and, well, whizzed them out. All survived unharmed or with minor injuries. It appears that cats can flatten themselves out like a flying wing if they are high enough and have time. They can't "fly" as such, but they can slow their fall enough to prevent serious injury or death.

This is borne out by some other, less scientific research that just involved asking vets, owners and animal hospitals about cats falling from buildings. The higher they are, the better chance of survival they have. Their research came to the conclusion below..

1-2 floors - cat should be ok, might have minor injuries
3-11 floors - cat likely to be badly hurt or killed
11 floors or above - cat quite likely to survive unharmed or with minor injuries..

How weird is that?
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Activa_Mike wrote:
Xac wrote:We had a cat in Saudi called Biscuit :)
Some friends of ours had taken him in as a stray to replace their previous Biscuit who thought he couod fly when they lived on the third floor of some flats
What I write below is 100% true, however much like a load of complete cock it appears to be..

I am a cat lover, and have many books on the subject. One interesting part is some "research" carried out by a Canadian doctor after his cat fell off the wheel of his private plane in the 60s at 1500ft. He was surprised when the cat turned up at home a couple of days later unharmed. Buoyed by this, and living in the non-PC 60s, he went and caught some stray cats, flew up in his plane, and, well, whizzed them out. All survived unharmed or with minor injuries. It appears that cats can flatten themselves out like a flying wing if they are high enough and have time. They can't "fly" as such, but they can slow their fall enough to prevent serious injury or death.

This is borne out by some other, less scientific research that just involved asking vets, owners and animal hospitals about cats falling from buildings. The higher they are, the better chance of survival they have. Their research came to the conclusion below..

1-2 floors - cat should be ok, might have minor injuries
3-11 floors - cat likely to be badly hurt or killed
11 floors or above - cat quite likely to survive unharmed or with minor injuries..

How weird is that?
That fits, Biscuit 2 apparently took a leap from a 2nd floor balcony and wasn't harmed.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I have seen those findings reported elsewhere within the past year or so.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

My little mate stiffed on me. :?

Ingrate.
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Love cats and dogs. That Rat would not get near here though.

Mrs Lexi and rats............... :shock: :lol: :lol:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2