I'm back

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

I'm back

Post by spider »

Well, sort of. I never really went away. Back into ownership I should say I suppose.

Have just purchased a '02 plate 106D, will stick some pics up with a bit of luck when I get my hands on it next week. Tis a one owner car, although I had noted a couple of minor things at a cursory glance.

The osf wing is a bit bent at the lower edge and there's about an inch of play left/right in the neutral plane (that will have to be attended to promptly as it annoyed me on a test drive)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: I'm back

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent stuff Andy...

Looking forward to hearing all about it :-D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Welcome back to the French side 8-)

The 106 1.5D is a pretty good little car, it'll no doubt serve you very well. :)
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Hi Spider That is a useful little drive you got.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
spider

Post by spider »

Well I have it but I don't have any time to play today at all.

Seems reasonable actually. Got a (near empty although it was supplied new from where I worked) service book although its for petrol and DI engines not IDI and the codecard / radio code too. One owner. Dual airbag too, had forgotten some of the later ones had a passenger one as well. Usual remote lock / electric front windows. A few things I've noticed although all are relatively easily put right:

1. Loads of sideplay in the neutral plane, this will have to be done soon as its annoying me.

2. A curious ecu bolted atop the battery. No where else for it though I guess. That will be going into the bin at the first sign of trouble =D> :oops:

3. The nearside mirror angle is not right, I cannot put my finger on the problem although the adjuster is a bit broken you can move the glass manually. It almost seems as though that its got a LHD mirror on that side although without having one here to compare I'm not sure. Nothing major really. :?

4. The passenger far side air vent is stuck open (no slider to close it), not really fussed about that.

5. The ventilation slider (screen / floor / vents etc) does not appear to do much more investigation needed. I'd suspect the cable is broken or loose.

6. I could of sworn these had a steering wheel height adjuster although I that may be my memory playing tricks, the more I think about it the more I think they did not.

7. The expansion bottle cap innards are cracked, although I have a replacement new cap here anyway. Its the right sort of cap for it although not sure if its suitable pressure wise, still it will be better than the broken one, probably.

8. 82K showing so I'm thinking about the timing belt, cannot recall if they are 72K (older intervals) or 80K on these.

9. Going over a speed bump slowly I noted a knock from the OSF, probably bottom ball joint although I'll be having my pry bar around all that in a day or two regardless.

All in all I think its quite reasonable, looks very tidy generally.
Andy.

spider

Post by spider »

5 and 7 are done. Tis a Bosch pump too which is an advantage I guess. The 205TD had a Lucas unit.

I think someones had a screwdriver into the fuel cap too, although I'm not 100% sure it was not there before but I'd of surely seen it. Hmm. Will have to see still only opens with the correct key (have a similar PSA key from something not sure what and that did not work)

Decided to grab a cheap pattern mirror as the control is broken for it anyway, at least that way it may actually show something useful, does not seem to move out far enough as it is.

Ordered a couple of key shells too as these are held together with tape. Going to see if the innards will fit into a 206 remote shell while I'm at it, I doubt it but we'll see.
Andy.

spider

Post by spider »

Innards do not fit into a 306 case, although was an early (infrared) cased one. Does not fit into a multiplexed 206 case either.

I think the play in the gear lever is actually the rollpin in the arm on the transmission itself, I do remember having to change one a long time ago although I've not time to pull things out of a busy and full engine bay to look just yet, from a reach around a feel it does seem like that but we'll see. Looking I see two choices as well so not decided which to have.

Interestingly, I noted there was no fast idle cable, have seen that before however the outlet for the waxstat usually has a blanking plug in it (406 / Xantia 1.9TD style) the housing on this does not have that in the casting, there's nothing present its not been drilled / tapped out.

Unplugged the EGR valve (no 'K' light on yet) as the lack of inlet gasket does not help with vapour from the EGR staining the head / inlet manifold area.

I could be wrong, but I'm sure the very first 1.5D's (94 or 95) did not have any EGR system at all. No matter anyway can always plug the vac valve back in and remove the pipe from the actuator if needs be.
Andy.

Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Your certainly getting through its little jobs :)

I don't think 106s or Saxos ever got steering wheel adjustment. Does you 106D have power steering? Seems quite rare on them.

My uncle used to have a 5 door 1.5D 106, quite a good spec it was, remote locking, power steering etc. Its what prompted us to get our 5 door Saxo Desire. Excellent little cars and they drive much better than a lot of new superminis.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
spider

Post by spider »

Yes it got PAS and the usual CL / EW although the reservoir is not remotely mounted up on the front panel like the older ones, its part of the pump unit with a long neck but still quite difficult to reach, I guess they were thinking 307 style to prevent people using it for screenwash (!) :D

Need to look at the actuator on the drivers door really as the CL does not lock from that with the internal button only unlocks, unless you wiggle it a lot. I'll just use the remote for now but would like it to work, probably dying microswitch at a guess (not checked but no doubt part of the actuator itself)

Reasonably pleased with it overall though, a few little jobs here and there is nothing really.
Andy.

spider

Post by spider »

1. is not the linkages its the rollpin as far as I can tell from a feel of the linkages area only not whipped airbox out yet (for want of a better word) on the linkage arm on the box, thankfully external. Will obtain one shortly and have some grazed knuckles to prove I fitted it probably :? :D

2. Ignoring this until it causes problems or my curiosity gets the better of me

3. Replaced the mirror unit, however the new one is a lot worse, the only good thing is I have now seen what was wrong with the original (well not the original) one and will have to swap them back after borrowing the cables from the new one, much fun, job for the weekend.

4. Not really fussed about this at the moment

5. Seems to have cured itself although see (11)

6. Was my imagination

7. Already done.

8. They sent me a petrol kit. A fuel filter and air filter would not go amiss while I'm at it either.

9. Waiting for it to stop raining, tis been more or less raining for a week :D

10. Door looking problem is actuator as usual, ordered used replacement from Ebay

11. Central vents don't close, upon inspection its internal in that panel the flap does not move. I did not have time after removing the panel for something else to attempt to dismantle it. Weekend (not this weekend) job.

That's about it really. :D nothing else to say. I thought about asking this topic to go into the Blogs area but not sure. It is turning into Andy's 106 tales though.
Andy.

JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

spider wrote:
8. 82K showing so I'm thinking about the timing belt, cannot recall if they are 72K (older intervals) or 80K on these.

Up to August 1998 they were 72K - thereafter 80000. But a doddle to change the belt.

2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
spider

Post by spider »

I (now) have one of those KM gauges although its not in SEEM's as expected and I am unable to find a conversion table. :)
Andy.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Is this any use Andy?

Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider

Post by spider »

Thanks Jim that may be of a great help. :)

I'm just sort of planning ahead really and I saw the tool reasonably cheaply (I hope!) and brought it, figuring it would be useful in the future.

I think mines in lb's , although not sure if that's different UK vs US or not, something I'd have to check as well as a quick conversion between pounds / lb's and Newtons or KG's.
Andy.

spider

Post by spider »

Fixed the very annoying key issue today. Basically the key in the drivers door would operate the central locking and unlock all the doors (no problem there) but would never (perhaps once in a hundred) lock the other doors.

I've had a new old stock actuator for ages for it, given the microswitch is part of it. What a job :evil: , I don't know why but it took me about an hour and a half, including fishing for a couple of the plastic rod clips out of the door bottom (not easy on a 106).

Once it was about together (tis annoying with little space in the door, the 205 and 306's I've done were easier) I noted the lock button was too high, so had to pull it out again.

The good news: The key in the door and the drivers door button now locks and unlocks everything as expected.

The bad news: Its incredibly stiff despite me putting some grease on the mech (I could feel it was tight when putting it together) , its a bit too much a key bending thing really, although the actuator does help stop that. I'm hoping it will settle.

The other bad news: The remote is dead again, if this is due to overload / too much current needed for the drivers actuator I've not yet checked, would not surprise me.

We'll see in a day or two. Someone had been there before too, as the masking tape (!) holding the sheet together sort of gave the game away...
Andy.