Grump

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Grump

Post by myglaren »

I was going to ask where the glow plug relay was for the 306 D-Turbo as my son's wouldn't start last night when he was going to work, he ended up taking his housemates Quashqui to work.
I was going to have a look on my way from work but had a text to say it was OK.

Last night when I came from work I decided to tackle the non-opening tailgate glass. Repaired a couple of breaks in the wire then discovered that the microswitch was buggered too.
Today the car has refused to lock unless the tailgate is opened, the glass released, the tailgate closed, the button the the glass depresses to signal it is closed pressed, the car locked then the glass closed. Hmmm.

Had a call from son requesting the use of my car to go to work as his car has failed to start again tonight.
As the "Go and buy diesel" light came on on Monday, I thought it judicious to go and buy some in case he ran out.
Petrolprices.com informed me yesterday that the cheapest diesel was at the Washington/Birtley Services (BP) so I went there, mainly as it is practically next door to where my son lives but a couple of miles by road.
Set off at 10pm so I would get to his by 10:20.
Had to drive four miles north, join the A195 south, merge with the A1M then leave it into the service area that is split into lots of smaller service areas with lots of confusing signs, doesn't help that it is four years since I was last there and it had all changed.
Cleverly avoided the fuel pumps, navigated the restaurant parking, the wagon parking and wagon fueling areas and ended up back on the A1.
Had to go all the way around (six miles) and try again.
More success this time except when adding diesel to the tank realised that it was more expensive than the website had indicated - £1.51.9 :shock:
Realised I was filling with BP Ultimate, not cheapskate diesel but was £50 into it so persevered £98.48 in total :( :(
No pen to record the mileage so took a photo with the phone.
Phone can't find the SD card with the photo on it :(
Took car to son and he was rather bemused to see I was an hour early. :oops:
Parked the car on the 40 degree slope outside his house as the other spaces were occupied and it is easy to get out of back onto an awkward road.
As he brought me back I mentioned that the handbrake seemed to need an extra tug the past couple of days.
He brought me home and I demonstrated the lock procedure.
Off he went, to return the car to me tomorrow when he leaves work, just in time for me to go and drop him off on the way as I pass his house anyway.
Turned my phone off to extract the card to let the computer find my photo and do the nerdy mpg stuff.
House phone rings.
Now I never answer the housephone normally as it is usually someone I don't want to speak to wanting something or trying to sell me something.
Made an exception as it was beside me.
Son very distraught. He'd parked on the same slope that I had and ten minutes later been shocked by a huge crash as my car rolled down the slope into the house and caved all the back end in :( :( :(

Perhaps I'll just guzzle the expensive single malt he bought for my birthday, last Thursday.

May be looking for another car for around fifty quid.

At least the car missed the huge double glazed window that we had to take out last week to get his furniture in through.
And the house belongs to his sister. She bought another house on Teeside but is moving back into this one in ten years, assuming it doesn't collapse before then :( :( :( :( :(

Where is the glowplug relay on a 306 D-Turbo anyway, seeing as it is the only car we have between us?
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Bloody hell! Why is everybody nicking my siht luck?

Does this mean you have to befriend the chicky across your street (former 406 coupe owner) to borrow a car?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Grump

Post by myglaren »

Hers is off road, no tax or insurance and needs repairing.
I haven't seen mine, will look in the morning when I take it to work but imagine it will get weighed in. Tailgate alone will cost more than the car is worth and if the rear panels/bumper and lights are squished that will definitely be that.
Looks like a pushbike will be a requirement.
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

That is a pretty unlucky day! A couple of glasses of whisky does sound like a good idea!
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Oh dear Steve, that's terrible :( How many ladders did you walk under yesterday? And how may mirrors did you break?

Hope the damage is not too bad...

Surprised you managed to get any diesel al any price, the whole population of Milton Keynes seemed to be queueing at the pumps last evening :evil: Stupid sods :twisted:

Still, look on the bright side...

You can get a nice HDi Xantia now :-D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

No problem getting fuel around here. The station was very quiet, only three other cars in the time I was there and this is right on the A1 - you will have passed it, just before the Angel.

The fillup would have lasted five weeks under normal circumstances.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

hell, Steve ;(
not much I can say really..
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

sorry to hear your bad luck hunny,

so you were born under the sign of the ram, i usualy find i have good luck in the arean period,

myglaren wrote:No problem getting fuel around here.
i should think not as you have a tank full you can syphon out to use in the pug, if you can get that to start that is, glow plug raly is usualy on the back of the battery box i memery serv's,

hope the damage isnt terminal

regards malcolm
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Take the battery out and sometimes there is a plate which then comes off and its all hidden in there.

On a past xantia my dad had a mare with his and ended doing a botch job which lasted until the car was later scrapped but can't recall what the botch was, i think it may have been soldering directly onto the relay terminals as i think they had corroded heavily, Lots of voltage, heat, salt water mist spalshes around into there...
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

PS

Sorry on the bad news fella :( Did he not pull the break up and leave it in gear?

If you just need it to keep going maybe get some used rear lights and just weld the boot shut and use some perspex on the back :)

after some repairs i see that pass MOT's i don't think it would fail :D
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Thanks guys.
It actually is nowhere near as bad as he made out.
Only the glass smashed and the tailgate somewhat remodelled.

Image Image Image

A tailgate and glass from a breaker should fix it - fortunately as thinking about replacement cars makes my head ache.
I'd like a CX, or an XM, or perhaps a V6 Xantia, or maybe an HDi Xantia :(

I'm amazed that the lights survived - pleased too as that's the best bit of the car IMO.

Actually, my eldest son bought a 51 plate Volvo S60 2.4 TS automatic a few weeks ago. I had a run around in it and it is quite nice, would be even better with some spheres and LHM.
It was pretty quick but seemed to be going much faster at 11o than the C5 does at the same speed. Not thrashy exactly but not relaxed either.
Very nice seats though.
It looks as though he will be moving to the US soon and he says I will inherit the Volvulo.
Cheaper to run than my C5 too :shock:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That's good Steve :-D Damage is not too bad at all considering.. Tough old girls, the C5s :)

I hope if you do take on custody of a Volvo that you won't leave us here :( You do far too good a job in the Admin team :-D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

CitroJim wrote:That's good Steve :-D Damage is not too bad at all considering.. Tough old girls, the C5s :)
Tougher than they look, certainly.

I hope if you do take on custody of a Volvo that you won't leave us here :( You do far too good a job in the Admin team :-D
:oops: :oops: Not if I am allowed to remain as a non-French owner.
Not sure about the Volvo, it has some nice points but all in all I quite like the C5, particularly the room and the suspension, despite it being only 'imitation' Citroen hydropneumatics.

Pending the acquisition of a tailgate, the C5 will carry on [-o<
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Steve, if you drove a wheelbarrow you'd be welcome in this forum :lol:

Good luck on acquiring a tailgate [-o<
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Thanks Jim :)
It is a pleasure to take part, as always.