Anybody have a TUD engine out?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

nametooshort
My Cars:

Anybody have a TUD engine out?

Post by nametooshort »

I figured Id ask in chat since it's reasonably more universal then just one brand of car.

Does anybody happen to have a TUD engine in pieces or out of a vehicle at the moment?

Or do you know somebody who has one?

I don't have one yet, but I am trying to figure out a few details (dimensions etc) to see if I can get one to fit into a engine conversion,

If somebody who actually has one sitting on the workbench right now would be kind enough to take a few measurements, that would be very useful.

Thanks!
citronut
My Cars:

Re: Anybody have a TUD engine out?

Post by citronut »

i have a brand new still on the pallet it left the factory on knaked TUD5 lump, but at the mo its under a rack/shelf unit behind a load of stuff,

it is for sale if you require one :wink:

regards malcolm
nametooshort
My Cars:

Post by nametooshort »

Well, the problem is, I don't know if I need one or not until I find out a few things about it. I posted something about this in the pug section. Basically I am trying to figure out if a TUD and a XUD have the same bell housing bolt pattern, or not. It seems so far I havn't found a way to find out this info without buying one, but I don't want to buy one until I know for sure.

I tried asking various people and so far about half of them say the bell housing bolt pattern is the same (and is in fact shared with some gas engines too), and about half said the TUD is unique and not the same as the XUD at all.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i wouldnt like to say for sure but would think the TU/D box is smaller in diamiter as its used a lot in cars like the Saxo and AX,

also on these modles the starter is at the back of the engine not front like on XUD's

regards malcolm
nametooshort
My Cars:

Post by nametooshort »

Oh, I see.

I am using it on a LDV van transmission, since it's the only RWD transmission that fits onto a XUD, however, I was thinking of using a TUD instead since its going in a really old vehicle with awful handling to put it mildly. At first, when I heard they had the same bell housing, I figured it would be an easy swap, but maybe that's incorrect.

The fact that the starter is on the other side sounds like they are majorly different tho. Does the starter usually bolt to the transmission or the engine?
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

i know for 100% that on a TU/MA it bols to the gearbox.
i'm 80% that the BE/XU also has the starter bolting to the box.

To give you a glimmer of hope here i know that all the post 1992 MA boxes have the same bolt pattern and that the TUD box is the same fitment as a TU box.
Now i also know that there is a certain BE box that bolts right up to a TU engine. I believe it is the BE4.

Therefore if the BE4 will bolt up to an XUD then and your DAF box will bolt to an XUD then the Daf box should bolt up to a TUD.

Personally though i'd just put the XUD in and turn the power down.
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

yes Chris i know both starters bolt to the gear box, but the TU/D bolts on at the back of the clutch houseing and the XU/D onto the front of the clutch houseing,

also the TU/D has some bolts at the bottom edge of the clutch houseing were the XU/D does not, so im still not sure they share the same mounting face,

regards malcolm
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

citronut wrote:yes Chris i know both starters bolt to the gear box, but the TU/D bolts on at the back of the clutch houseing and the XU/D onto the front of the clutch houseing,

also the TU/D has some bolts at the bottom edge of the clutch houseing were the XU/D does not, so im still not sure they share the same mounting face,

regards malcolm
Sorry malcolm, my point wasnt that you didnt know where they were but that a be4 bolts to a tu so if a be4 can bolt to an xud then logically there must be something common between them. An avenue worth looking at but i'd still personally put the xud in
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

well i have a petrol TU AX gear biox in my workshop which i mesured diagonally from top front to lower rear mounting bolt holes=aprox 32.5cm,
and lower front to upper rear= aprox 35cm, these mesurements are give or take 1 or 2mm,

today i will try and drag the NEW TUD5 lump out and mesure the bolt points on that,
as in fairly sure the TUD use's the same shape clutch houseing as the TU,

then all you need is someone with a BE3/4 box on the floor to mesure the same points,

regards malcolm
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

I can say with 100% accuracy that the diesel MA boxes will fit a petrol MA, they use the same casings :)
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,