So who can tell me about C2's then ?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

So who can tell me about C2's then ?

Post by spider »

General information really. :)

They are approaching my pricing point and I do need to change (current non PSA) back in say two months or so.

I don't like the C1 and not keen on the C3 either, I like its shape but I wanted a 2door so a C2 may be the logical answer. I'm slightly put off by the rear side window though given its a different height to the front one, looks a bit odd.

Not sure on engine, I won't be having a flappy paddle box though as I'm well aware of the actuators from 1007 "fun" shall we say.

Not made my mind up about the HDi either, it would have to be a 1.4 8v not the 1.6 not a 16v unit.

In an ideal world I'd probably want the 8v 1.6 TU unit in one if it was petrol (cast block, no other reason)

Anyway I'd appreciate thoughts / comments especially from those who own / owned one. :)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Re: So who can tell me about C2's then ?

Post by Citroenmad »

The 1.4 8v seems a fairly reliable unit, its also pretty similar in design to the 1.1 and those are good little units. The 1.1 is more available in the C2 and should return half decent mpg, though its going to be a little under powered so your original want of a 1. 8v might suit you better.

The 1.4HDi 8v is a very good engine, occasional problems with injectors but on the hole a hardy engine which lasts and returns excellent mpg. You should also have very low road tax and potential to remap and increase the 70bhp standard figure and possibly gain even more economy. I would be very tempted by a HDi C2.

C1s are well worth looking at, the 1.0 engine is superb, very reliable, excellent on fuel and the engine has real character. £20 a year to tax and insurance group one is not to be sniffed at either. However due to their reliabiliy and low running costs they do hold the values extremely well, infact the C1 trio was the slowest depreciating car for a few years. So you will be able to pick up a C2 far cheaper. The only real thing to look out for on a C1 is the clutch, as being a town car they can wear out fast is abused. However, having driven both, I prefer the C1, its more spacious, more fun and cheaper to keep.

C2 Ls are basic, ideally you will be wanting a LX or SX (coloured bumpers, split/fold & sliding rear seats, AC) if for resalability if nothing else.

Check the multiplexed electronics - make sure the indicator and wiper stalks all operate every function as they should. Cambelts are every 5 years on the petrols or every 10 years or 100K on the HDis. C1 petrols are chain driven.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

cant you get a 3 door C3 then

regards malcolm
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Post by Chris570 »

nope, nor a 5 door c2.

I drove a few c2's i always prefered my AX 1.0 elation. Might be a little bit biased though.

I did find the suspension to be a bit hard in the c2's
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
spider

Post by spider »

Thanks for thoughts so far. :) To clarify a little bit, I should of posted a bit more information initially really I guess.

I would like a 3door C3 but they don't make them unfortunately and they would be out of my price range I guess.

I'm well aware of the COM2K 'concerns' ( :( :) )

C1's, well I did PDI about a dozen or so 107's and did not like them that much, the 3cyl engine vibrated alarmingly. I had a 3cyl 1.0 Corsa (yes I know :oops: ) at that time, it made the Corsa seem smooth. I just guess they are a little bit too basic for me although I'm not a great fan of excess electrickery simply as although I'd like to think I'm capable of fixing it, if its not there it cannot go wrong. This applies more with multiplexing :) To be fair it was the very very first batch of the 107 so its possible things have improved although they are still expensive. I'm aware the C1 is not (or was not?) multiplexed which I think is a huge bonus.

1.4HDi's , well the smaller HDi seems OK in 8v form. I'm basing this on the 206 and 307. I'd not want the 1.6HDi myself. Odd injector problem and plastic fuel piping allowing air ingress (Ford had this problem too I think) but still not sure.

Still after some more C2 thoughts though if possible. A good sign in a way is the lack of sensible results in a search for "C2 Problems" via Google etc.
Andy.

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

there's always the leaky PLURIAL thats 3 door

regards malcolm
spider

Post by spider »

citronut wrote:there's always the leaky PLURIAL thats 3 door

regards malcolm
Heh :D , no I'd not want something like that. I could of got a 206CC if I was in need of um, a potential shower.
Andy.

Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I actually cant think of a modern car which is cheaper to run and easier to fix than a C1, they are so basic and well thought out. Which is why they are worth a look, I love the engine, thrash it to bits and it just gets better!

Few people have or have had C2s on here, so it might be worthwhile checking out the C2 specific forum or looking at readers reivews on parkers, honest john or autotrader.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Some of the sensomatic box's can be good if they have had their work done in warranty :)

My mum had a furio from near new until late last year, 50k miles on it i think and it had the 1.4 8v.

Cracking motor, half decent economy but no ABS.

The early ones don't have it and the GT versions never got it either IIRC.

It is worth getting and the best upgrade is to put the bigger alloys with wider tyres on as the front end is very grippy but under heavy braking can slide without too much hassle. They are light and they will roll if you push too hard.
Side bolsters wear, i guess as they are more city cars they see more in and out action.

The rear seats are only good for small kids though adults could fold into them for a short distance!

Servicing is easy enough once the undertrays are off, back box's do rust through very easily and the rear wheel carrier as well. also check the rear arms aren't too heavily rusted and the track rods as well. Town cars doing lots of steering flex them more so lead to earlier wear.

Suspension as well needs a good check as the springs can snap and be hard to spot just by looking at the car.

Also check and see if the cooling system has been flushed as per spec, IIRC its 3 or 5 years and i bet NONE that have FCSH have been done so factor that in and a new stat while your at it to avoid cooking the engine or clogging the rad up. Check how black the oil is, if its near its service point it should be quite black but if its not long since its had it then it should be clear enough(petrol not diesels!)

Are you going to run it for a few years or till it dies? if so cut the service intervals down a bit to make the engine last and get some seat covers as they do suffer from wear :)

Interior plastics are cheap so they damage easily which shows how well its been treated so feel over them and don't look as dash shine can hide lots of things...

Tracking as well could be out so check tyres as being city cars and small potholes can knock them out with ease and so do curbs...

Buy on condition and not milage really as well. If its good inside and out and a private sale then it will be looked after under the bonnet( my mums was and my dad did all the servicing once it was out of warranty and kept invoices to show it, 1st person to see it bought it for full asking and the spare tyres as well!)