"And a penny".......

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Xaccers
My Cars:

Re: "And a penny".......

Post by Xaccers »

Fuel duty increase? What is this fuel duty you speak of? ;)
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

to the OP, would it not be easier to try and fill up to £30.02?? tha way youd prolly get to bang on £30 every time! :-D
i'd love to know where to get fuel for 120's! down here id mid 140's for petrol, 150's for diesel, tesco is still 10l veg for £10 so tis me happy! although the xant doesnt get used that much, 40l of fuel (20 diesel 20 veg) does me a month at the mo,
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

BioD locally sourced :-)

May be heading over to Luke's stomping ground in a few weeks and pass thru the south so will likely be taking loads of jerries with me to bring back as some of the cheaper places in the south are cheaper than my bioD!!! Is diesel taxed less in the south/republic per chance?

And I have thought about heating oil/red but risks are too great and don't want the FF seized now!!!

Saying that, BioD sold as heating oil isn't tainted but I guess is tracked to the seller...
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Pumps here have a keypad; before lifting the handle you can punch in the amount including cents.
There's at least one supermarket near here which has these pumps (with pence, not cents). You can also opt to pay with a card at the pump, to save visiting the kiosk.

Many years ago in my youth, I worked at a garage, and the 'just-over' phenomenon was a problem then, even with the money increasing so much more slowly. A customer would ask for 'a fiver's worth', but there was a degree of skill required to fill at full bore - on those cars which didn't airlock - and stop dead on the price. This was especially true when it was a tenner (a lot of fuel then, which took some time to dispense) - you'd set the latch on the nozzle and daydream or chat to the customer, hopefully coming-to just before the desired price was reached. After a while, the clicking of the mechanical computer head sent a subliminal signal which automatically woke you up at just the right moment!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

dnsey wrote:the clicking of the mechanical computer head sent a subliminal signal which automatically woke you up at just the right moment!
Just like the noise made by a particular set of points just outside the stop before mine always used to wake me up on my way home from work in London.

That was a time back when a tenner bought a reasonable tank of fuel! Just as it was when you could guarantee a comfy seat on the train journey home. Both are long gone... :(

I recall as a kid my dad regularly asking the garage for a quids-worth of petrol. That was over four gallons in those days... Won't even buy a litre now...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Our local Shell garage has recently introduced a forecourt assistant who will fill your car up for you, check the tyres and have a natter with you if its not too busy!

The way prices are going, I'm going to have to work out whether its more economical for me to have the Xantia on the road this summer and keep the XM back for limited journeys. I don't particularly want to Bosch the XM.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Why not Kev if you keep the parts then at least you can refurb them and get them tip top as we know someone who loves EPIC tasks..... ;)

seriously if you get the chance to use SVO or even good WVO i'd go for it as the small amount of hassle it brings is well worth the small fortune saved, and if you can use a cubbie and store it even better for the money it saves though the last tank full is always fun to get out!
HDI Dave
My Cars:

Post by HDI Dave »

wainy wrote:Hi,

This isn't just to do with French cars..... but am I the only one getting irrationally annoyed with going to the garage to get £30 worth of petrol only to end up getting £30 "and a penny"? :evil:
Me too pal,had it a few times..get it bang on,walk over to pay and the extra penny/tuppence has sneaked in!!!

Nowadays I keep some (hidden, as scrotes will nick owt nowadeys eh....), loose change in the car.

Another point,

Now I also fill up to say, £29.97/8, or 29.99 If I'm feeling brave :P

....Never asking for my owed pennies,hate loose copper..

How many other people must surely do this?

So the gas stations are winning both ways! just for hundreds/thou's? of 'extra pennies' :lol:
1999 Xantia LX 2.0 HDI 110 Rusteration project...
wainy
My Cars:

Post by wainy »

HDI Dave wrote:scrotes will nick owt nowadeys eh....
Yes, as I discovered today when trying to start my Activa....... someone's nicked the petrol!!!!!

Cap off but hidden behind the flap so I had no idea..... :( so could've happened anytime in the last two weeks since I last turned it over....

Probably only half a gallon in there so hope they were suitably disappointed. No sign of forced entry but car was indeed unlocked. Might have been me forgetting to lock it I suppose...

Grrrrrrrrrrr :evil:
WAINY

2016 C4 Picasso Exclusive (Black)
1983 GSA X1 (Black - being restored)