MS Orifice / Outlook Question

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Xaccers
My Cars:

Re: MS Orifice / Outlook Question

Post by Xaccers »

CitroJim wrote:
Xac wrote: Somehow I can't imagine that being up to the task Jim ;)
Really? What are you trying to do Xac? Run an email system for the whole world?

Many ISPs use just that setup.. Look at a few mail headers to see their SMTP sign-on and all is revealed...
Well my main requirement is to replicate a modern office environment to aid with supporting my clients.
From the looks of things, in order to sync properly with mobiles, in order to enforce pin/password on mobile devices, in order to be able remote wipe devices, you need to install several other bits of software, and tweak them for it all to work.
Now, I can understand that Exchange 2003 needed "tweaking" to have activesync working with forms based authentication in webmail, back then PDA access to email was the exception not the norm, but with Exchange 2007 onwards, it just works.

myglaren wrote:Why not Onlyearache Jim?

Yes, I love the light touch they have with stuff.
Incidentally, I have some Onieric discs here still.
Although it's time is almost up, soon to be replaced by Precise Pangolin :)

Linux Mint is similar, all the releases have female names.
Ran Gloria for a while and liked it, have Lisa around here somewhere.

I also liked the Debian name (that both derive from)
Deb & Ian, who started it off (Deb now departed)

It's like the Android naming scheme being desserts
Cupcake, Eclair, Froyo (Frozen Yogurt - some strange yank thing I believe), Gingerbread, Honeycomb, Ice Cream Sandwich...
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

CitroJim wrote:That's two votes for LibreOffice then Steve :-D

Sorry Jim, I appear to have missed some of the earlier exchange, just caught up with it now.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Xac wrote:
It's like the Android naming scheme being desserts
Cupcake, Eclair, Froyo (Frozen Yogurt - some strange yank thing I believe), Gingerbread, Honeycomb, Ice Cream Sandwich...
I did wonder what the hell this IceCream Sandwich was - haven't paid much attention to Android.
My phone runs Windows Mobile and I only text with it so it does me.
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Hmm If you need to know where to look Xac... ;-)

Open office is good as well if your after a freebie :-)
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

KP wrote:Hmm If you need to know where to look Xac... ;-)
Oh I already have some software from Captain Jack's emporium, very good prices ;)
For something as significant as a server though I'd want it as a hand me down, which is going to take a few years.
Thankfully for my simulation requirements, Microsoft provide 120day free versions.

DIY sphere tool
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Xac, yep, I understand your requirement now and yes, W2K8 and E2007 would seem what you need with the demanding scenario you have set... Postfix would struggle with that little lot and would hardly mirror your corporate setup...

It's amazing how soon 120 days goes by with evaluation copies... Time really does fly with those...

I bought a couple of copies of W2K8R2 Enterprise and SQL Server 2008 the other day. Gosh, they're pricey... :evil: Glad I wasn't paying - well, not directly anyway...

Steve, when's Precise Pangolin due for release?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Getting some good detail here (although it's not hard to feel happy about swinging tools for a living vs sitting at a desk).

With Libre Office, can one hoover up an existing PDF and edit it, then save changes? Or is its input media more restricted? Are there any distinct niggles with the Word and Excel comparative aspects? I'm presuming it has similar/identical manipulative abilities to the Microsoft dreck. What about prompts to register/donate/update etc?

Also, getting near the end of my Thunderbird enquiries: Is it 100% residual on the machine once emails are downloaded; there's no intermediate server where stuff is stored? How much can I carry over (accessibly) from ten years of existing OE emails and a fat address book?
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

CitroJim wrote: Steve, when's Precise Pangolin due for release?
April. Usually the third week. Slated for the 26th but that can be somewhat elastic.
The series numbers are the year and month, so always year (12) month (04 & 10).

I generally wait a couple of weeks after the release to let the shenanigans recede, the fanboys always want theirs ASAP. Server loads can be very heavy and download times stupid for a few days.

I bought the last one, buggered the download/burn somewhere along the line and sequentially online upgrade from an original disc four years old was... tiresome :roll:

Otherwise the online upgrades go very well.

Have you dipped into the forum?
A shining example very much in the style of the FCF.
Very patient and helpful posters of answers and it is very, very rare to see anything approaching irritation, flames are unknown there.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

The Register reports on Precise Pangolin available in beta now.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote:The Register reports on Precise Pangolin available in beta now.
Yep, got it. Tried it from a live CD and guess what? All but identical to Onieric Ocelot....

Adam, I'm not sure you can edit PDFs very easily anyway but I'll bet there's utility somewhere to do it under Linux...

Thunderbird should be fine for what you want to do...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

IIRC OpenOffice may be able to do it, or Foxit Reader.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

myglaren wrote:The Register reports on Precise Pangolin available in beta now.
I wonder if it'd be able to install and have a working touchpad on my laptop (unlike 11.10)
Yeah, that was fun.

Or even have backspace do the same as alt<- in Firefox. That'd be nice.

DIY sphere tool
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

They are supposed to be making it touchscreen compatible though how far they are with that I have no idea.

ALT← on mine, any browser, does exactly the same as Firefox on Windows.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

myglaren wrote:They are supposed to be making it touchscreen compatible though how far they are with that I have no idea.

ALT← on mine, any browser, does exactly the same as Firefox on Windows.
In Windows, Firefox, Opera, Chrome, heck even IE, if you hit backspace it takes you back a page, so rather than having to do ALT <- you can just hit backspace.
In Firefox for linux apparently a bug fix caused a bug in the backspace function, so they disabled the function, then fixed the bug but didn't re-enable the function. You have to go to about:config find the string that relates to the backspace function and change it's value to the right one. So it's not a simple on/off switch, you have to google the answer.

Likewise when you install a new operating system, it is somewhat of a surprise to find you can't move the cursor around the screen. Thankfully because it follows the Microsoft way of doing things I didn't have to get dressed (it was 11pm so I was in my PJ's) and head out to Tesco to buy a mouse that hopefully would have worked, instead I was able to navigate through the apps and get the touchpad working (strangely though, it took opening the mouse control app twice in order to be able to change to the touchpad tab, the first time around no matter how many times I hit the tab key it would not highlight the tabs title so I couldn't change from the mouse control tab to the touchpad tab), opening Terminal and entering the commands found through google thankfully got the touchpad working, no idea why it wasn't working as Lunix had detected it, showing it in the xinput list.
Someone without an IT background trying it for the first time would have been stuck with the cursor in the middle of the screen wondering what the heck to do, and how the heck do they shut down?
It is still a case of if everything works, then great, you can just use it, but if something is wrong... oh hell it's time to consult the Necronomicon and start typing ancient spells into the terminal and praying they do more good than harm ;)

DIY sphere tool
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Quite happy with Libre Office (especially for the dosh). Blunderbird still in evaluation stages although fully working. Good impressions on the simplicity of its setup interface, less so on the way all accounts show on the one startup screen - rather than just the default accouint like with OE.

Old mainboard fully carked by the end; wasn't able to peel off emails or address book and the Win7 simulation of XP doesn't let me run Outlook Express when I use a USB adaptor on the old HDD.