Driving in the snow for fun.

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

waynedance

Driving in the snow for fun.

Post by waynedance »

Ok I love the snow and today went out for a few hours driving down countless country lanes. Driving nice and slow not being stupid, car was great xexons really good in the snow, traction control helped out a few times.

I know I should have not used the car but I like drivings in bad snow, being in a nice warm car with all that snow falling.

Anyone else like the snow, so many people hate the stuff.......................

Just been to the park (2130hrs) with my lad of 9 years to roll around in snow and have some good fun.
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Re: Driving in the snow for fun.

Post by Toby_HDi »

I'm the same. I love cold weather in general and am always being called mental for wearing nothing but a T-shirt in minus temperatures. I complain in the summer. Snow just makes things better :-D

I used to take the cars out in the snow. The only thing that lurks at the back of my mind though is while I may be confident I can drive in the snow, it only takes one idiot around you to mess it up for you. Luckily, most people stay indoors. The Sprinter vans at work are fun in the snow though.

Don't think I shall be taking the XJR out in it though.... :lol: Although at the moment we just have heavy rain. It would appear we are to miss the snow.
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

Nice one, snow here near Leicester is approx 12cm deep, loving it.

Might have to get the 4x4 quad out tomorrow.
Volvo S80 D5.........
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Been out and had about 1-2" maybe a bit more in some places but loved making doughnuts and in deserted safe carparks is good. Driving along the roads calmly is better as you just waught by the people who can't drive in any condition but dry and daylight...

Helping people when they get stuck will no doubt be on the list if it doesn't melt tonight that is as no doubt there will be some BMW and Mercs stuck in the morning :)

Im the same after its been or during really really heavy rain as it scares lots of people off the road its nice to have quiet roads during the daytime!
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

waynedance wrote:Ok I love the snow and today went out for a few hours driving down countless country lanes. Driving nice and slow not being stupid, car was great xexons really good in the snow, traction control helped out a few times.

I know I should have not used the car but I like drivings in bad snow, being in a nice warm car with all that snow falling.

Anyone else like the snow, so many people hate the stuff.......................

Just been to the park (2130hrs) with my lad of 9 years to roll around in snow and have some good fun.
I've just driven 20 miles across South Berkshire to work at 7am today. I took the back lanes which are ungritted and snowy on purpose so I could have a bit of fun. This in a Ford Puma on sticky summer tyres... much judicious use of the handbrake, scandanavian flicks, opposite lock and full throttle entertained me most of the way. No one else on the roads, nothing to hit, no harm done.

I love driving in snow, as long as I'm the only person on the road. Too many other people simply can't cope with it! It did help that the Puma is so light and chuckable, but I did similar in my Activa on the same roads last year when it snowed.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

KP wrote:Been out and had about 1-2" maybe a bit more in some places but loved making doughnuts and in deserted safe carparks is good. Driving along the roads calmly is better as you just waught by the people who can't drive in any condition but dry and daylight...
Back in 2009 it snowed quite heavily. I lived in Twyford at the time, and my wife worked in Beaconsfield. She had never driven in the snow before, and as I was off I took her. On the way we had some sideways fun in Wycombe Asda car park as most of it was empty. I got her to work almost on time, but when she arrived, they were sending people home (at 9:30am!) because of the conditions. One Swiss woman who lived down the road from us who had a Audi Quattro had rang in saying there was no possible way she could get to work.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Activa_Mike wrote: I love driving in snow, as long as I'm the only person on the road. Too many other people simply can't cope with it!
Precisely :roll:

Driving in snow and on ice really needs to be included in driver training and then perhaps the whole country wouldn't grind to a halt when we have half an inch of snow...

The BBC don't help by making it a big news item and putting the willies up people by making it out to be an order of magnitude worse than it really is. Weather is never news unless it's really properly extreme; what we've had is not extreme by any definition...

For goodness sakes, the snow we had when I was a kid..... Now that was proper snow.... :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

When I were a lad, we couldn't afford snow, all we 'ad were slush.

Definitely agree on snow/ice driving lessons, it really isn't difficult to manage.
I need to go to the walk in centre today to get some antibiotics for this chest infection I've had since boxing day, so looking forward to the drive before we lose the snow.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

CitroJim wrote:
Activa_Mike wrote: I love driving in snow, as long as I'm the only person on the road. Too many other people simply can't cope with it!
Precisely :roll:

Driving in snow and on ice really needs to be included in driver training and then perhaps the whole country wouldn't grind to a halt when we have half an inch of snow...
It's not even that hard. It's simply common sense. Would you run down a slippery, snowy path? No, of course not, because you'd fall over. It amazes me therefore that people don't slow down on the roads when it snows, then get surprised and/or annoyed at the fact they've crashed, and blame it on the emergency services or councils for not having the gritters out on time - when often, they have been gritted. I heard a highways man being lambasted on the radio this morning by some woman who was stuck on the M25 for 8 hours. He pointed out that if people hadn't pulled over to the hard shoulder when they stopped, the ploughs and gritters would have been able to get through, and they would not have been stranded for so long...
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

well the xant is finally beaten.. stuck at a friends, problem is, a 1/5 drive way, I can now get out of that, then there is a slightly gentle uphill lane, I cant do anything about that.. after that a long downhill lane with cars either side, dont think I will make that easily,,

so,, not going anywhere tonight :o
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

Well spent the best part of the day out on my Quad, great fun down the country lanes in 2wd (safer in 4x4 mode) loads of deep snow down the back roads.
Volvo S80 D5.........
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

jgra1 wrote:stuck at a friends
Hopefully one with benefits.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

We had about 2-3" around here yesterday, some places a bit more and some a bit less, Id have liked much more!

Yesterday I did around 100 miles while the weather was throwing down blizzards and strong winds. I wasn't out for a drive on purpose though.

The amount of people who struggle to drive in a tiny bit of snow is staggering. Mind, even with a couple of inches its enough to bring on the snow driving techniques. Most people just seem to dawdle everywhere, which is good I suppose, but really can be unnecessarily slow at times.

I did go out later yesterday to give my winter tyres a good testing, without the passengers from earlier. Im fairly impressed, braking is very much improved over summer tyres and power can be put down well without upsetting the traction control. However cornering I would say is similar, only very slightly better, than on summer tyres in the snow. I had quite a bit of fun opposite locking round deserted roundabouts while the stability control was trying its best to spoil fun ... ESP can be very effective at getting you pointed in the right direction again, its pretty impressive.

I do very much like driving in the snow but its all either vanished or turned to ice now.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10