Safrane vs XM - Any 605 owners around?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

R9UKE
My Cars:

Safrane vs XM - Any 605 owners around?

Post by R9UKE »

Today presented a nice opportunity to compare France's efforts at the Executive market in the 90s. However, there was a missing party - the 605. Robert and I couldn't think of a single 605 owner appearing on any forums? Is there anybody here who has / has had a 605?

As for the Safrane and XM - I'll leave those comments to Robert, mine will be too biased as that bloody XM drinks from the wrong pump. However, I have to say that the XM looks sharper, more distinctive and has more character. The floaty feeling of the suspension isn't quite matched by the Safrane, although it does come surprisingly close.

But naturally the Safrane is the superior car for one reason.... "Welcome, the vehicle computer is now checking systems for you".
French is best.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Err... I have a PRV-powered 605 on the road. Last one sold in Australia (according to popular tales) - not the last sent here. An intriguing relic.

Any and all issues it has, are related to past abuse, mainly at the hands of a car dealer in Queensland.
robert_e_smart
My Cars:

Re: Safrane vs XM - Any 605 owners around?

Post by robert_e_smart »

This was my first ever drive in a Safrane, and I loved it. What a great car to drive! Luke's is a good one because it has a Volvo 2.5 in it and not a self destructing Renault engine!

The car drives great, just how a big French car should. Seats are superbly soft, and hats off to Renault for the quality of leather used. Suspension comfort was very impressive for a sprung car. Its very good, but not as good as the XM. Then again, I have driven countless XMs that have needed spheres changing, and here the Safrane has the edge; as the suspension in it has probably never been touched in its life!

On the looks front, I agree with Luke's comments, and I am biased in favour of the Xm anyway. The colour of this Safrane makes it look more appealing and pleasing to my eye.

If only the Vel Satis was so comfortable!
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Your comments on the suspension interest me; does it have active damping?

A high end 605 does, and mine has lost a quantity of the damping oil. I reckon this (combined with the pikey rims) adds to its jiggliness. New struts are 500 Euro a pair; one good reason I haven't replaced them!
R9UKE
My Cars:

Post by R9UKE »

Pics required of this 605, addo! Sounds a nice one.

No, this Safrane has no suspension trickery going on, just the standard springs - which makes me even more intrigued to try a Phase 1 with air suspension.

And yes Robert, couldn't agree more about the Vel Satis!
French is best.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

R9UKE wrote:Pics required of this 605, addo! Sounds a nice one...

The delights of a dead Bosch ignition module... Conveniently, it failed near a train station on my line! :twisted:
robert_e_smart
My Cars:

Post by robert_e_smart »

Nice colour, not so sure about the wheels though...

Was the "new" V6 engine ever available in the 605? We never got the 2.5 TD 605 in the UK.

We need a 605 to meet with the XM and Safrane.
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

robert_e_smart wrote: We need a 605 to meet with the XM and Safrane.
Just use a 405. Nobody'll ever know the difference....
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

A Safrane Luke?!

You must have getting on for a hundred cars now :lol:

Your Megane, BWM 540i, Clio x2, Volvo S70, anything else?? :shock:

I see your mum has replaced her Scenic with a MeganeII too, You have been neglecting your FCF blog :lol:
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

CitroJim wrote:
robert_e_smart wrote: We need a 605 to meet with the XM and Safrane.
Just use a 405. Nobody'll ever know the difference....
:lol: quite right, just park the others slightly further away from the Peugeot and it will appear like a 605 :roll:
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
R9UKE
My Cars:

Post by R9UKE »

Beautiful colour of 605! I honestly can't remember the last time I saw one on the road!

I know Chris, I feel really guilty about that. I'll have to do a massive update. I SORNed the Mégane to properly experience some true tat, so the quantity and changing of cars has increased slightly :) Mum is in a Mégane but still not happy - we're thinking 1007 next. You had one - anything to share?
French is best.
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

R9UKE wrote: I know Chris, I feel really guilty about that. I'll have to do a massive update. I SORNed the Mégane to properly experience some true tat, so the quantity and changing of cars has increased slightly :) Mum is in a Mégane but still not happy - we're thinking 1007 next. You had one - anything to share?
Looking forward to the update!

Is your mums Megane an automatic? What doesn't she like about it?

The 1007 is a decent little car, its very heavy so you really need to avoid the 1.4 but the 1.6 is fairly lively once going. The 1.6 is sensodrive only and I think you have already experienced them for yourself.

They are quite comfortable, quite spacious (boot is small but the seats slide forward to give a bigger load area), they seat 4 in good comfort and are very cheap to buy and well specc'd. Ours was the basic Dolce but it still had what you would want in a car. AC, CD player, trip computer etc. It drove ok, the steering was very direct, the brakes sharp but the ride was a little firm. Turning circle wasnt great for a small car. I found in the wet it would push wide very easily and if going round a roundabout quickly you would have to watch it didnt change gear as the back would step out. Not a bad thing if your expecting it but in a tall car like that its not ideal.

The doors, well they are an interesting feature, a gimmick really. If parked on a hill you could either not get out or not close the door depending on which way the slope was. But they were a bonus in tight spaces and got a lot of attention and comments. Especially as the doors can be opened/closed by buttons on the key.

It might suit your mum if she likes them, I actually like the look of them as they are very different but its an aquired taste. They can be picked up for very little and are good cars for the money, very solid feeling to drive and a bit different from the norm.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

You could get in France, a 605 with the later V6 engine and a manual gearbox. Also the options/fitments included built-in radio aerial to rear glass, body harness prewired for carphone, rain sensing wipers, traction control, auto dipping (internal) rearview mirror. No flip-out coat hooks, though. :(
R9UKE
My Cars:

Post by R9UKE »

Citroenmad wrote:If parked on a hill you could either not get out or not close the door depending on which way the slope was.
I'll tell mum that and she'll be sold! :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the run down. Basically, the Scénic was sold because it was doing 23 MPG. The Mégane has added 5 to that number. She's wanting for a little more!! It's a 1.6 VVT Manual.

We had a few issues with the Mégane early on (I've updated the blog, see it for pics) which I think prevented the initial bonding. They were all caused by blocked drains that made for water sloshing around and playing with the electronics. It's all good now, but I just don't think she's made the connection with it. She insists that the 206 was the best car she's had and the Renaults haven't a patch on them! :oops: :cry:

She suggested a 1007. The prices are very good - saw on 07 for £2395! Either that or a 206 Roland Garros.
French is best.
R9UKE
My Cars:

Re:

Post by R9UKE »

addo wrote:You could get in France, a 605 with the later V6 engine and a manual gearbox. Also the options/fitments included built-in radio aerial to rear glass, body harness prewired for carphone, rain sensing wipers, traction control, auto dipping (internal) rearview mirror. No flip-out coat hooks, though. :(
Did the XM ever get rain sensing wipers here?

That's another thing about the XM compared to the Safrane! An analogue mileage counter.
French is best.