which car to keep

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

which car to keep

Post by jgra1 »

slight dilema chaps..

I am moving.. for the third time this year. :evil: . I have gone for somewhere I can ill afford, (although i have paid a deposit, i can still get out of that..) but.. the new place has a garage, which is pretty important.. It also has a possible off-road space as well, but that will make the garage harder to use (car blocks garage) - I cant keep a car in garage as tools and bike and so on needed in there....

anyway,
I really cant justify two cars (taxed and insured no way) .. but can i justify getting rid of either

The xant has been a rock, and very cheap with WVO.. having roofbars, towbar have also helped loads.. it is due an mot, which I will try for anyway, I know it well, it's on 165K but I rebuilt the top end at 120K and gave it a full service.. it has exclusive alloys and seats, 4 fairly new tyres, and runs well..the bodywork is about 80% of what it should be, mainly small dents in bonnet, scuffing on bumpers, and a previous-owner outer-sill dent..
It's a 99 TD and i see no reason why it wont carry on for some years to come..
What is it realistcally worth pretty much as is? £400? and what do I save by driving it .. loads at 50ppl !..

I would love to keep the coupe, as I have only done 3000 miles in it since I brought it.. It is a nice way to travel, clean, better equipped, good looking..
It also needs an MOT.. but is in pretty good shape otherwise.. It is on 100K but the engine is 50K, which counts for something.. It also has sequential LPG although I have yet to finish fitting it.. I will do this though..the kit will need calibration and certification by the new owner..
It's a 97 V6SE auto 'R' plate..in blue..

If I keep the coupe, put on the road at end of March, I expect a rise in insurance, even on LPG it wont get half the relative economy of the xant.. so straight away I will be down..

I could try and find somewhere to park it.. then if the xant ever does go badly wrong, I have a car ready.. in some respects that is worth more than the ?800 I would get for selling her..

just thinking out loud really.. interested in any responses..
John

edit..

I realise this whole thing depends on lots of other things and is very subjective..

Does anyone keep a car as a spare ? for all the hassle it can be,, especially when the spare car is argueably nicer / better than the daily driver..

Grr wish I had got a mortgauge all those years ago.. :twisted:
citronut
My Cars:

Re: which car to keep

Post by citronut »

it sounds to me you require something economical so you can keep expenditure down,

so unless you can find somewere to park the coupe that would be the one to out,

regards malcolm
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

yeah i guess Malcolm..

I just feel I have hardly had the chance to use it.. despite an engine change, and other work etc..

but it goes completely against my (and many others I am sure) predicament..

never mind the fact that the xanita is probably only worth £200... which it pays back every other month ,,
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

jgra1 wrote:Does anyone keep a car as a spare ?
Yes too many :oops: I'm thinking along the same lines, do I move on my VSX and/or my DS as I can't recall the last time I used either of them :roll:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

hmmm..,

on a different note,

I guess a lot of us have a trouble and strife.. which means there is often a car to use if something goes wrong, accident etc.. but as a free person :) I dont have that er.. luxury
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

As an absolute bottom line, the most "reliable" backup car probably has a chain driven cam in the block and runs on petrol, with copper/brass radiator. No A/C, cable and tap operated heater/blower, wind up windows.

Where I'm pointing, is at a car in the tax-free range due to age, as a backup car to the Xantia, and on "extremely limited mileage" policy.

Interestingly, I note DG's DS just about fits the brief. :lol:
DickieG
My Cars:

Re:

Post by DickieG »

addo wrote:Interestingly, I note DG's DS just about fits the brief. :lol:
Interesting thought :lol:
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Re:

Post by Citroenmad »

Its a tricky one, I would keep the Xantia as a daily drive personally, its larger, more practical, cheaper to run and should have a better ride. Its also worth less and possibly its £400 wouldn't be enough for you to justfy selling it, its probably worth more to you than that? Given its use, reliability, known background etc.

The 406 Coupe might be a nice car but I would class it as more of a hobby car, something to have around and use when you feel like it. Thats how I treat my Activa, a car to use when I like and tinker on with when I want to, but then have the (used to be) reliable C5 as my daily drive.

I find it hard to justify having more than one car at times, as the second or however many there are extra, is really only a luxury. Unless of course they have different uses, a van and a car for example.

Though it is times like this, when my daily driver is out of action, that I'm really pleased I have the Xantia as well. I would never choose an Activa as my daily car, as they are a bit demanding in terms of time and money, but its doing the job very nicely.

Trouble is, when your daily car needs time off it doesnt give you warning. So if you have your second car parked up somewhere, untaxed and without insurance or MOT then it takes a little while to get it road going again, especially if it has not taken well to a rest. Might as well just fix the daily transport in that time ...

All our cars are always taxed, tested and insured, which is a huge burden really, a luxury no one really needs.

Id sell the Coupe, after all, there will always be a car somewhere that you can get your hands on should your daily car need a bit of TLC. Even if its renting on, its cheaper than keeping one just as a spare.

Saying that, if I didn't have an Activa I would no doubt have something else filling its parking spot, sholdn't really though!
addo wrote:As an absolute bottom line, the most "reliable" backup car probably has a chain driven cam in the block and runs on petrol, with copper/brass radiator. No A/C, cable and tap operated heater/blower, wind up windows.

Where I'm pointing, is at a car in the tax-free range due to age, as a backup car to the Xantia, and on "extremely limited mileage" policy.

Interestingly, I note DG's DS just about fits the brief. :lol:
A DS! P'ah!
You've just described a 2cv! :lol:

Gear driven engine, petrol, no radiator, no A/C (!), the heater is powered by the faster you drive and the windows, well they kind of flap out. :lol: Couldn't be any more simple :-D They can be had for DS money :lol:
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

They can be had for DS money
So can a DS :lol:

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
DickieG
My Cars:

Re: Re:

Post by DickieG »

Citroenmad wrote:A DS! P'ah!
It's a style thing, a 2CV owner just wouldn't understand :lol:
Citroenmad wrote:You've just described a 2cv! :lol:

the heater is powered by the faster you drive
Joking aside what happens when you're sitting in traffic, you get cold?
Citroenmad wrote:They can be had for DS money :lol:
Pity a DS can't be had for 2CV money :lol:
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

DickieG wrote:
Citroenmad wrote:A DS! P'ah!
It's a style thing, a 2CV owner just wouldn't understand :lol:
Citroenmad wrote:You've just described a 2cv! :lol:

the heater is powered by the faster you drive
Joking aside what happens when you're sitting in traffic, you get cold?
Citroenmad wrote:They can be had for DS money :lol:
Pity a DS can't be had for 2CV money :lol:
:lol: I do like the styling of a DS

Not really, I use ours around town and even when its freezing outside its not bad inside, if you were in stopped traffic for a long time then yes, it would be a little cold. 2cv drivers are hardy people though! :roll:

Ive seen some 2cvs sell for £10K and upwards, and you most certainly can buy a DS for that!
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Citroenmad wrote:Not really, I use ours around town and even when its freezing outside its not bad inside, if you were in stopped traffic for a long time then yes, it would be a little cold. 2cv drivers are hardy people though! :roll:
TBH the heater in a DS isn't very good which is why in cold countries they were fitted with a secondary one under the rear parcel shelf.
Citroenmad wrote:Ive seen some 2cvs sell for £10K and upwards, and you most certainly can buy a DS for that!
£10K for a 2CV :shock: that's as mad as paying £100K+ for a DS convertible.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

DickieG wrote:
Citroenmad wrote:Not really, I use ours around town and even when its freezing outside its not bad inside, if you were in stopped traffic for a long time then yes, it would be a little cold. 2cv drivers are hardy people though! :roll:
TBH the heater in a DS isn't very good which is why in cold countries they were fitted with a secondary one under the rear parcel shelf.
Citroenmad wrote:Ive seen some 2cvs sell for £10K and upwards, and you most certainly can buy a DS for that!
£10K for a 2CV :shock: that's as mad as paying £100K+ for a DS convertible.
I have heard that about the DS, I dont think heating can have been a priority :lol:

Mind, the 2cvs heating is better than in a Traction, that is fine if the car is moving, you are the front passenger and like warm feet. If not, its going to be a cold journey in winter. Though our Traction is not exactly a winter use car :lol:
Despite the 2cv not having a fan to put the heat through into the cap, it is actually very effective, I often can't stand the temperature inside with it on full, especially when driving at 70.
At least the windscreen wipers on later (all but very early) are not powered by the speedo, so when stopped the wipers stopped, when going slowly they went slowly ...

It is, seems mad to me too, in fact I think the prices for a decent one seems quite steep. Though they are good fun but not everyones cup of tea!
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

well er thanks ;)
um
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
MG TF 135
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R

Post by jgra1 »

I do have the bike, and i rode enough winters to know I can do that again.. so I guess I am just greedy ;)
I think I need a women with no car, and get both insured and taxed ;)