Some buying advice..

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Some buying advice..

Post by Toby_HDi »

The last few months I've been on the look out for a car to buy.

I've finally come across one that fits the bill. It's low mileage, is taxed and MOT and generally looks in lovely condition and is very very keenly priced, about half the price of similar cars.

There are two things which are making me a little unsure.

First is that the service history is incomplete, this hasn't stopped me before but I no longer have the motivation to do work on a car. The service book was apprently lost by the previous owner and the current owner has been to the dealer and has a printout of some of the work carried out.

Secondly, most importantly, the car is classified Cat D. The seller has freely disclosed this fact and says it was merely because the bumper and headlights were stolen. The parts have since been replaced. I understand that should I come to sell it in the future I must expect a reduced value. This also accounts for the price it is being sold at.

Its a lovely car, and just what I want. It is in Essex and I'm considering going to look at it Sunday but some opinions would be nice. The car in question is on Ebay and the seller's feedback is excellent, being 100%.

Go for it?
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Some buying advice..

Post by CitroJim »

What is it Toby?

I ask because it has a bearing on whether or not the service history is missing. Never something I've really worried about...

If it's a Reliant Robin then it'll not be important but if it's something like a Pagani Zonda then I guess it's pretty critical...

Cat D - minor cosmetic damage?

I will comment no further until you disclose what it is...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

Supposedly cosmetic damage only. As mentioned, the bumper and headlights were stolen. Why it was written off for that I don't know.

It is a Jaguar XJR. 2001 with 60k. There is some service history, but it is a printout of stuff done over the years from the dealer who carried out the work, rather than anything recorded in a service book.
Toby

Previous:
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Nice 8-)

A dealer printout should be fine Toby, so long as it goes right up to the recent past.

Stolen headlights? The mind boggles...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

I can imagine you right at home behind an XJR Toby :lol:
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
pug_owner2002
My Cars:

Post by pug_owner2002 »

I've never worried to much about the service history book, you can tell if a car has been maintained or not.
I've had a few cat D's in the past, mainly stolen recovered that I purchased from the salvage yard and sorted out and used. In the one I was involved in a non fault accident and the car was written of for a second time! Amazingly the insurance company paid out, let me keep the car and put it back on the road :lol:
When some insurance companies write of a car they request the service history book etc, so that could explain that.

For write off categories I found this on the what car website

Category A – Of scrap value only. The car should have been crushed and there are no salvageable spare parts.

Category B – The body should have been crushed, but the rest of the car can be dismantled for spare parts.

Category C – The car has been badly damaged, and the insurance company has decided not to repair the car. The car can be legally repaired, but must pass an inspection before it is allowed back on the road.

Category D – The car is less seriously damaged. It can be repaired and made fit for road use.

Category F – A fire damaged car. It can be repaired and put back on the road.
R Reg Phase 2 306 DTurbo (Blaze Yellow) (Sold)
X Reg Phase 3 306 1.4 LX (Sold)
03 Renault Scenic Dynamique +
03 Seat Leon 1.9 TDi
52 Nissan Almera 1.8 sport+
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Toby_HDi wrote:
Its a lovely car, and just what I want. It is in Essex and I'm considering going to look at it Sunday but some opinions would be nice. The car in question is on Ebay and the seller's feedback is excellent, being 100%.

Go for it?
I agree with Jim . It sounds as in this case most of the work's been done anyway. If as you say, the seller open and honest, then yes, buy it. Life's too short..
pug_owner2002
My Cars:

Post by pug_owner2002 »

If it's the blue one thats on ebay that I've just looked at you can see in the sellers "feedback as buyer" section that he purchased the car in November.
To a degree it makes me suspicious when someone tries shifting a car on soon after getting it. However the "i'm only selling it as my wife says it is too big and too fast - which was actually the reason I bought it!!" could be genuine.
It does look a nice bit of kit. :)
03 Seat Leon 1.9 TDi
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

Sounds like rubbish to me Toby, more like he hit something and broke the bumper and headlamp or bought it to do up and sell on BUT do not shy away from cat C or D cars, and dont shy away from this one, nothing wrong with them at all and if the price reflects the damage then its a bonus, service history again dont worry but check the condition of the oils and fluids before and after a testdrive and the way the car feels on the road.

If the price is right then go for it, enjoy her and dont worry about the cat D at all, always fancied an XJR or XJS myself but bought a Honda when decision time came......................for some stupid reason.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Isn't 01 a Forduar, anyhow? Go an XJ-C or the Daimler version.

Not sure of the last time I bought off a car seller whose word was worth a cracker.
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

just seen the listing and yes he did buy to do it up and sell on so check the front panel from under the bonnet just to be sure its been repaired properly and she will be a good one Toby, good luck with it as for the money you cant really argue in my opinion.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
pug_owner2002
My Cars:

Post by pug_owner2002 »

If you look at the current listing and the one that he purchased it from it's mainly copy and paste (thats if this is the same car/listing that we think it is)
03 Seat Leon 1.9 TDi
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

pug_owner2002 wrote:If you look at the current listing and the one that he purchased it from it's mainly copy and paste (thats if this is the same car/listing that we think it is)
I've just looked too. This is why I asked here. I'd never have spotted the other listing. Thanks fellas!

From the listings it seems the chap who has it now didn't fix it up, but the one before him did. As Dean says, that heightens suspicions when he only bought it on the 22nd December

Hmmm, I did have a niggly doubt in the back of my mind since I saw it. Certainly made me think again now.
Toby

Previous:
1998 S2 Xantia Activa