C5. Drivers side headlight not working cops stopped me

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: C5. Drivers side headlight not working cops stopped me

Post by myglaren »

It is the law in France and possibly other European countries.
Couldn't say if it is law here but it certainly isn't a bad idea.
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

As I understand it the law broadly is the same in most European countries.
It is not about carrying spare bulbs.
The offence is driving or being in charge of a car with defective lights.
The differences are perhaps in the way the law is enforced.
It seems that typically if stopped in France you are required to rectify there and then hence the routine carrying of spare bulbs.
In this country it seems that cautioning that you have a problem needing urgent attention is more typical.

John
Xmexclusive
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

xmexclusive wrote:As I understand it the law broadly is the same in most European countries.
It seems that typically if stopped in France you are required to rectify there and then hence the routine carrying of spare bulbs.
In this country it seems that cautioning that you have a problem needing urgent attention is more typical.

John

Unless your name is boristhespie
Dippy
My Cars:

Post by Dippy »

myglaren wrote:
xmexclusive wrote:As I understand it the law broadly is the same in most European countries.

John

Unless your name is boristhespie
I still carry a bulb kit / case which originated from a Scania Truck , had it for over 30 years - just replace the bulbs as I use them with ones suitable for le current Auto. Maybe it is a requirement for a commercial vehicle ? another can of worms .
EU = Poppycock, Piffle + General Hogwash .

We ( UK) don't even have a requirement to carry a spare wheel . Another reason for not buying a " Modern" car ( with no - spare or a can of sludge) , I certainly won't travel without one .
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

I certainly won't travel without one .
You dont have to, they are on the list of optional extra's for most new cars :roll:

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
zipdip

Post by zipdip »

I remember a few years ago I was driving down the M4 at 2.30 am in the middle lane I was doing about 80 there was no other traffic it was december and very cold the cops came up behind me I stayed in middle lane as they could pass on the outside or the inside as they felt fit but no the lights went on so I pulled over and got out they started to give me the guff about using the inside lane,I interupted and said look have you any idea why I am driving in the middle lane apart from being a terrible driver who should be hanged,they said they could not think of a single reason for me to be in the middle lane,so I said well I will tell you why ,all day trucks have been using the inside lane and they have a annoying habit of shredding tyres with little bits of sharp metal laying about,as I do not want a puncture at 2.30 am on a cold winters night I am driving in the middle lane,they looked at each other and said on your way,which I did in the middle lane.
2009 C5 1.8 vtr+
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

zipdip wrote:I remember a few years ago I was driving down the M4 at 2.30 am in the middle lane I was doing about 80 there was no other traffic it was december and very cold the cops came up behind me I stayed in middle lane as they could pass on the outside or the inside as they felt fit but no the lights went on so I pulled over and got out they started to give me the guff about using the inside lane,I interupted and said look have you any idea why I am driving in the middle lane apart from being a terrible driver who should be hanged,they said they could not think of a single reason for me to be in the middle lane,so I said well I will tell you why ,all day trucks have been using the inside lane and they have a annoying habit of shredding tyres with little bits of sharp metal laying about,as I do not want a puncture at 2.30 am on a cold winters night I am driving in the middle lane,they looked at each other and said on your way,which I did in the middle lane.
Sounds like you left them, lost for words.

A case of no comment!
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.