STOLEN

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: STOLEN

Post by myglaren »

citronut wrote:i quite offten followed my daughter up motorways doing 85**H,
trouble is the speedo only goes up to 70 with a pin to stop the needle going further :shock: :twisted:

Jim i think you realy need to drive one then, as they dont feel unsafe at motorway speed,

regards malcolm
I haven't actually driven one but had a mate who was a serial 2CV consumer and never ever felt unsafe in one. It is true about the grin factor though, like a rollercoaster :)
Renault 4 was very similar.

My GS had a similar speedo, a stop pin at 100mph and the car was never meant to do more than 87.
It was fun to watch it hit the pin and carry on accelerating, never knew how fast it would actually go.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

CitroJim wrote:
Xac wrote:. It'd do 69mpg and 70mph if he was feeling brave.
Doing any sort of MPG in a 2CV is an act of bravery :lol:
I see it as being devoid of imagination :lol:

13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

citronut wrote:pluss theres more chance of getting one going again on the side of the road than a modern euro box, that has no character and full of complicated electricary,
regards malcolm
Is this an example of the repairs you mention Malcolm?

13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

citronut wrote:i quite offten followed my daughter up motorways doing 85**H,
trouble is the speedo only goes up to 70 with a pin to stop the needle going further :shock: :twisted:

Jim i think you realy need to drive one then, as they dont feel unsafe at motorway speed,

regards malcolm
I can back that up, they are capable of 85mph. Your quite right, you don't know your doing it :lol:
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Citroenmad wrote:The best 2cvs can sell for £8000>, quite strong money really. Even Renault 4s are increasing in value.

Depends what you want in a car Franklin, the same thing gets a bit boring after a while.

The 2cv is just so simple and a bit mad, its so much fun to hoon about in, its really got the grin factor, just because its a silly car. They get loads of looks and comments, are very simple to maintain and I love the simplicity of it. If one thing on the 2cv was removed, it would no longer function as a car.

I was dubious about them but they are so much fun and unlike any other car, its excellent.
I have had five 2CVs. I've rebuilt two of them with new chassis. My brother has one with a GSA motor and 5 speed 'box in it. It is fun.

However, the money they are going for is ridiculous. They're not two grands worth of fun, never mind eight grand. I love them and I know every nut and bolt on them, and there's no way on earth I'd pay more than 1500 for one. Given that my dad paid £2400 for a *new* one back in 1979, the values of them nowadays are insane.

The Snail, the Beetle, the Quatrelle and dare I say it, the Mini were original, well thought out cars when they were designed, and far outlived their design life. However, compared to modern cars, they are nothing but amusing relics. 2CVs are fun yes and I adore them, but a sensible / econominical /cost effective mode of transport compared to a modern car they are not.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

CitroJim wrote: I really cannot understand the theft of a 2CV either :?
They're worth a bloody fortune Jim, a quick blow over and a new (and particularly easy to change) VIN plate, and you're £5000 better off...
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Activa_Mike wrote:The Snail, the Beetle, the Quatrelle and dare I say it, the Mini were original, well thought out cars when they were designed, and far outlived their design life. However, compared to modern cars, they are nothing but amusing relics. 2CVs are fun yes and I adore them, but a sensible / econominical /cost effective mode of transport compared to a modern car they are not.
Oh so true, old cars look like fun but drive them on a daily basis and that shine wears off very quickly indeed.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

citronut wrote:pluss theres more chance of getting one going again on the side of the road than a modern euro box, that has no character and full of complicated electricary
They"re also far more likely to leave you stranded at the side of the road than a modern eurobox. As I said, I love 2cvs, but let's have some perspective! Having changed a set of 2cv points, at night, on the hard shoulder of the M6 in December, I know exactly what I'm talking about. If I hadn't the foresight to have a set of points with me that night, there would have been no chance of getting it going.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Xac wrote: When I first got into Citroëns, my colleague who introduced me to them had a green 2CV which he loved. He mentioned that there had been a Top Gear bit on car thefts where they had a tame cartheif break into vehicles against the clock (Top Gear being interesting back then).
Whist most cars he could get in and break the steering lock rather quickly, with the "joke" 2CV he got in within seconds but could not break the steering lock, ending up bending the steering wheel. Anyone know if that's true?
We removed the lock from my brother's that has a GSA motor in it so we could mount the ignition key elsewhere. Our original idea was to just break the lock, as above, and leave it so it looked original ( there were other reasons for re-siting it). We couldn't break it, so ended up removing it completely in the correct manner, which was a total PITA as I remember.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Xac wrote: It'd do 69mpg and 70mph if he was feeling brave
Albeit not both at the same time :-)
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Citroenmad wrote:No modern car gives the same grin factor.
I beg to differ. As I've said many times. I love 2cvs. Try a MK1 MX-5 for top-down fun. If that's not important, try a Peugeot 106 GTi or Puma 1.7. All just as much fun IMO, just as economical. If want unreliable, French, and totally mad, then a Renault 5GT Turbo is the way to go. Anyone who can drive one and tell me it's not hilarious fun needs checking for a pulse :-)
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

totaly right about the MX5, R5 Gtt and the 106 pocket rocket all brillant fun, you could have a small fleet of MX5's for the price of one 2cv too.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

The trouble with having an MX5 is everytime you get out of it you'll be asked what you're doing driving your wife's car, my mate's got one and he regularly gets asked the that question :twisted:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Citroening
My Cars: Various Makes/Models Nowadays...

Post by Citroening »

I'd rather have an MX5 to an Audi TT...! :lol:

I remember dad telling me about a 2CV he drove 20 odd years ago. He was driving it and the bonnet catch suddenly came undone, the bonnet flew up and as he had the roof undone it bent over and hit him on the top of the head! He's never driven (or been in one) since... :lol: :|
Franklin
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Citroening wrote:I remember dad telling me about a 2CV he drove 20 odd years ago. He was driving it and the bonnet catch suddenly came undone, the bonnet flew up and as he had the roof undone it bent over and hit him on the top of the head! He's never driven (or been in one) since... :lol: :|
Great story that's conjured up quite an image in my mind :lol: :lol: :lol:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH