MOT's 2012

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Re: MOT's 2012

Post by DickieG »

CitroJim wrote:
DickieG wrote:I've been reading numerous tales that with the new MOT regs tuning boxes are a definate cause for failure.
How so? Are they now doing 'visuals' for non-standard modifications or are the tuning boxes responsible for emissions failures?
As I understand it any modifications to the engine ECU loom such as tuning boxes is the failure point so I presume its a visual check.
CitroJim wrote:Hope my Activa doesn't fail for having furry dice dangling from the rear view mirror....
Items dangling from the mirror has been a fail for some years now.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
xmexclusive

Post by xmexclusive »

Does that also make a suspension diode fix a MOT fail risk if the extra wiring or added box is on view.

John
Xmexclusive
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

xmexclusive wrote:Does that also make a suspension diode fix a MOT fail risk if the extra wiring or added box is on view.
Different loom from the engine one.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

DickieG wrote: As I understand it any modifications to the engine ECU loom such as tuning boxes is the failure point so I presume its a visual check.
Scaremongering...there's nothing in the regs about mods - unless it was carried out by a back stree butcher, and one of the following applies:

Check: 2. Check the condition and security of all visible
electrical wiring
Reason for failure: 2. Electrical wiring:a. insecure or inadequately supported so that
it is likely to become damaged
b. damaged or deteriorated to the extent that it
is likely to cause a short circuit or become
detached
insulation damaged or deteriorated to the
extent that bare wiring or connectors are
exposed.

Unless it fails the emissions test of course
xantiaV6 wrote:He also says that he can no longer fail a MOT due to scored or pitted brake disks, but there are 2 pages describing the rules for inspecting number plates!
Anythings possible - I'd have thought either:
a brake disc or drum in such a condition that it is seriously weakened or insecure (under sec 3.5 Mechanical Brake Components)
or
A braking system component: c. damaged to the extent that its function is impaired (Under sec 3.6 Braking Systems and Additional Braking Devices)

would do the trick.

Full regs downloadable from VOSA, or motuk.co.uk have updated their manual to the latest version, if you want the facts, rather than 'net hearsay.... =D> :wink:
Richard W
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

RichardW wrote:Full regs downloadable from VOSA, or motuk.co.uk have updated their manual to the latest version, if you want the facts, rather than 'net hearsay.... =D> :wink:
I've seen people on other forums claim some absolutely incredible things are included in the new MOT, and refuse to believe otherwise despite being pointed to the official MOT testers manual. If its not in there its not in the MOT test, simples.
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Having done some further digging on the subject it appears that the tuning box/loom modification issue came about from new EU regulations stating that such things are now outlawed (as is already the case in Germany), it appears that when the new MOT regs were being compiled it was assumed that this would form part of the new test but didn't turn out that way from what we can see.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH