And-Cuffs

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Xaccers
My Cars:

Re: And-Cuffs

Post by Xaccers »

Citroening wrote:
Xac wrote:Got my iPad this evening, I cannot for the life of me see why anyone would hand over their hard earned cash for such a useless device.
Explain more Andy - a mate has been trying to convince me to get one however...

Are they really that bad?
It's heavy, as in I'm glad I've got a big belly to rest it on otherwise my wrists would be dead.
Everything is long winded, setting up the app store account, if you don't fill out 3-4 security questions you keep getting asked for your password when you're downloading apps.
They take ages to install compared to my Android phone versions of them like Kindle or DrawSomething.
I will not sully my computers with iTunes, it's crap, bloated and unstable (several versions actually took over the computer's CD drive preventing anything else from being able to burn CDs! That's how bad Apple's developers are).
So I'm using FileApp which sets up a FTP server on the ipad so you can transfer files to it, and then it can transfer them to the main storage. You need the paid version to be able to create folders though, and while I can then open videos and mp3s from within fileapp, it doesn't add them to the built in apps.
Also, it seems to insist on adding app shortcuts to a second desktop page, but unlike Android where you can long hold the shortcut and slide to the side to move it to another page, the only way I've been able to do that is move it to the launcher bar at the bottom of the screen, change to the page I want, then drag it back up. So if I want to move more than 1 app it's easier to move them all together to create a new program folder, then move that, then move the apps out onto the desktop. Long winded.
I've bought a bluetooth keyboard which also acts as a cover for the screen when not in use, but of course the ipad can't cope with a mouse so while it can sort of be used for work, it's nowhere near as good as the Asus Transformer prime which basically is an Android netbook with a removable screen; so built in keypad, usb port for mouse etc, better operating system, battery in the keyboard base as well as the tablet part giving 18-20 hours solid use. And of course you can just plug it into a PC and copy files over onto it. The keyboard base takes full size SD cards, while the screen tablet takes mini SD cards so as you say if you need more space you just buy a new inexpensive card.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Urgh the remote desktop app which I can use on my phone quite well despite the small screen is practically impossible to use on the ipad, the screen isn't accurate enough to select menu items on one go or even the X to close a window.

DIY sphere tool
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Ok there's a Lovefilm app, but their bitrate is too high for our ADSL at home and the ipad is a bit too big to *cough* use on the throne at work *cough* without being spotted.
It's on O2, so I'm wondering if it will have a better job of connecting to BT wifi hotspots than my mobile does (which reminds me, I must phone O2 and complain about that as they've still not given the details of the Sensation to BT so their hotspot website doesn't recognise the phone, so I'm using more of my data allowance than I should, and pretending it's an iphone no longer works either).

DIY sphere tool
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Is "Lovefilm" some sort of adult movie channel? :shock:

As the device which was foist upon me late last year, and its precursor (My trusty K1) are both about to be ignored by our main telecoms carrier (when they give up on a particular frequency later this year) I shall be forced to consider a replacement. Oh, joy.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re:

Post by CitroJim »

addo wrote: I shall be forced to consider a replacement. Oh, joy.
get a Windows Phone Adam. A Nokia Lumia if they're available in your neck of the woods. They are just the job for those whio want a smart phone but none of the aggro... I'm waiting to give the much rumoured Ubuntu Phone a go when my current Windows Phone comes up for renewal...

I've no idea what 'Lovefilm' is but it sounds a bit dodgy to me...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xaccers
My Cars:

Re:

Post by Xaccers »

addo wrote:Is "Lovefilm" some sort of adult movie channel? :shock:

As the device which was foist upon me late last year, and its precursor (My trusty K1) are both about to be ignored by our main telecoms carrier (when they give up on a particular frequency later this year) I shall be forced to consider a replacement. Oh, joy.

It's a not that good and overpriced online film rental company, they also do home delivery which is a bit better value for money where you can rent a certain amount of dvds etc at a time for as long as you like, you just send them back when you want the next lot.
Their web interface for viewing online is appauling, they're owned by Amazon and it seems more set up to sell you DVDs rather than watch them online (even if you have to pay extra for some newer films).
I got a voucher for 6 months for £9.99 rather than the usual monthly price, must cancel next month, and to be honest we've not watched a single film from there.
Netflix on the other hand we watch quite often, their interface (free to use on the Nintendo Wii) is excellent, their ability to choose films you'll like based on your preferences is normally spot on. Danielle has free internet on her phone so often watches films on the bus to and from work. It's £6 a month a well worth it.
Both have apps on the xbox360 (which we have) but you must have gold membership which frankly isn't worth it when the wii has netflix for free.
I believe the PS3 has apps for both which are free.

As for a replacement phone, go and take a look at the HTC One X (not the S) as I find the HTC sense interface much better than the stock Android or Samsung version (yes you can change the interface by why pay extra when you can get a decent phone with a decent interface in the first place.

DIY sphere tool
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Fine, I've had to give up and install iTunes though on my work laptop so it can screw that up rather than sully any of my own computers.
Copied across the mkv movie that my little phone has no trouble playing and the app I installed that supposedly can play mkvs no longer starts!
Uninstalled and will try again.
Oh and the split keyboard floats about 1/2 an inch from the bottom of the screen when held landscape so the submit button on the quick reply is covered so I have to close the keyboard to post my reply. If the keyboard was at the bottom of the screen I wouldn't need to close it.
Just got cramp in my forearms typing this using the on screen keyboard.

DIY sphere tool
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

i know it works for android but no idea on eye devices, but, have you tried the swiftkey keyboards?? makes my clunky android tablet quite nice to use!!!
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Timmo wrote:i know it works for android but no idea on eye devices, but, have you tried the swiftkey keyboards?? makes my clunky android tablet quite nice to use!!!
Change an iDevice keyboard? That would suggest that apple got it wrong in the first place and they can't have people thinking that!
Nope, you're stuck with the one they give you.
Swiftkey looks good, I've tried swype on my HD2 before but you need to know where the keys are and how to spell to be really quick with that.
The sensation's predictive text is excellent, you can totally mis-key certain words and it still works out what you meant.

The ipad screen doesn't like my finger tips, which is strange as no other capacitive device I've used has had a problem. It makes browsing, especially forums due to always clicking on links, rather frustrating.

DIY sphere tool
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Maybe this is what you have all been waiting for.
And for Appelistas, there's this which should put a smile on their faces (not).

Just seen on another forum:
Authors have been warning us that Apple is evil for years, remember Snow White? Evil Apple.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

For any other unfortunates like myself lumbered with an iPad, Google have come to the rescue again with Chrome for iPad.
It is faster than Safari and Dolphin, is able to open images in their own tab so you can easily access the file's location and paste it on a forum etc.
Also it synchronises bookmarks across your devices, and tabs too, so if you've got a tab open on one device and runs out of juice, you can reload that tab on another device.
Don't forget if you use Chrome at home you can use it to print from your Android device.

DIY sphere tool
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Danielle finally had enough of running android on my old HD2 (its a windows mobile phone that can run shed loads of other operating systems including windows 95) and so has bought herself a Samsung Galaxy Nexus.
It may be too big for her dainty hands!
I really am not keen on the plain android interface, HTC's sense is just so much more polished, although I'm currently installing JellyBean so it will be interesting to see how that looks.

DIY sphere tool
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Spending a romantic weekend away with Danielle in a Manor house hotel north of Bedford. The room is fantastic and comes with a flat screen Samsung TV with none of the usual hotel locks.
I wanted to see if Danielle's cable for her video iPods would work with the iPad, it does only if you use the Apple video app and it is composite so the quality isn't great. Netflix might work, O2 only has 2g here and the iPad seems unable to open even the most basic web page.
I had brought along my phone's MHL adaptor and hdmi lead. The adaptor goes on the end of the hdmi lead, the phone's charger plugs into the side of it and then it plugs into the phone, so you get proper 1080 out to the TV.
Best of all you don't have to be running specific apps, it appears on the TV as soon as it is plugged in.
So we had her aquarium live wallpaper showing which was quite cool. Netflix definitely works, and video quality is much better.
It comes in great when playing games, using the phone like a controller and the TV as the monitor :)
She's taken to the GNex like a duck to water saying it is very intuitive.
She's on Three and has a 3g signal (the jammy wotnot) while as I said O2 is only 2g here. My Sensation doesn't let that stop it though, browsing the forum is slow but not too slow to use.
There's WiFi in the hotel but we're so far away my phone has trouble staying connected for longer than 5 minutes (again that's 5 minutes more than the iPad!).
Tempted to get the GNex7 tablet and maybe a Three MiFi device (mobile broadband hotspot that is small enough to fit in your hand). It would be so much more usable than the iPad. Perfect size for an ebook reader too...

DIY sphere tool
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Like a plot tool out of the film Iron Sky* NASA are going to be launching some micro satellites controlled by early Nexus models.
http://mobile.theverge.com/2012/8/26/32 ... -satellite" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

*Iron Sky is a 2012 Finnish-German-Australian comic science fiction action film where the Nazi's didn't give up in 1945, but instead fled to the dark side of the moon, only to be discovered in 2018 by a black American astronaut who a mad Nazi scientist "Aryanises" for the astronaut's benefit, of course.
Sarah Palin is the US President. It's definitely worth a watch, if only for the dreamy Julia Dietze *swoon*

DIY sphere tool
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

Google have created what looks like a fantastic augmented reality sci fi game for Android called Ingress.
At the moment it is in invite only beta though.
It uses GPS to project images onto your phone when pointed at certain objects and allows you to interact with them.
There are two factions, the enlightened and the rebellion.
The idea is to track down and control portals for your faction to gain items.
It looks really interesting (and quite geeky).
I like that if you live in an area that Google have yet to populate with portals, you can submit photos of likely portal locations (has to be available to the public) for assessment so your location won't exclude you from the game.
With portals normally being near artwork/statues/sculptures I'm hoping Milton Keynes will be rife with them.

DIY sphere tool