Mass culling at Renault. Thoughts?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Re: Mass culling at Renault. Thoughts?

Post by Deanxm »

:lol: :lol: a fellow prius hater, exellent.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

I had a slight appreciation of Prius' as I figured that it's a good idea to be able to run on batteries when pootling along in cities, however, I didn't realise just how bad on fuel they are, none are better than a small diesel engine in a medium sized car, so what's the point exactly??
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

The point is it makes people think you care about the planet when in fact you obviously dont or you would of bought a 1l super mini C1 o similar which is a lot greener to build, run and dispose of. The prius is just a statement.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote:There's a Wind around the corner from me - not pleasant
I've got one too. It blows leaves into my workshop. And it's cold :twisted: ...

The Nissan Wind is dreadful. It looks like an alien bug :evil: You'd need to be seriously challenged to want one... It certainly would not blow me away...

I'm sure these hybrid cars and electric cars are just a passing phase and a technological dead-end. And as for green, they're about as green as a traffic light on stop. Just look at the chemical composition of the batteries. Mining the stuff, which is pretty rare anyway, must cause more environmental damage than oil exploration and production. Disposal is a big issue too whereas the left-overs from normal cars just go into the atmosphere as C02 and water and not a nasty cocktail of heavily toxic chemicals.

The only future I can see is diesel traction as diesel can be produced from so many different raw materials. Hydrogen may be possible but there's incredible hurdles to cross and making hydrogen fuel, even though it's all around us in abundant quantities, is a hugely energy intensive process and definitely not green. Then there's the problem of storing, transporting and delivering it to the car.

I predict the good old diesel will be with us as the prime source of automotive power for years and years even if it is running on a fuel derived from pig poo...

I heard a rumour the other day that Renault are bringing back the R5 as a retro car much like VW did with the beetle and Fiat did with the 500 (and Citroen should do with the 2CV and DS). Any truth in this rumour?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Hybrid cars are just a gimmick, possibly ever so clightly better now some French companies are offering diesel versions. I never knew why they chose to make an electric and petrol car, surely the economy of the petrol outweighs the benefits gained by the electric. So the diesel and electric is a better option, maybe. Though when you read the reviews the Prius and others only stay on electric for a very short amount of miles, then its back on petrol to charge the batteries. Then what happens to the battery when the car is scrapped? They will also need replacing at some point in the cars life, extreme cost to both the owner and environment.

Electric cars are never going to be a goer either, they are about now and I see at least a couple a week. Mainy a Nissan Leaf but often Peugeot Ions too.

Some good news on the Renault culling though ....

In Autocar this week there is a mock up picture of a concept supermini, which is set to come in the range between the Twingo and Clio. They are still deciding about it but it will be an upmarket little car based on the original ideas of the original Renault 5. Ive got to say it looks excellent!

Apparently the entire Renault range is getting revamped before 2016. "we took the first step with the Megane in 2008, then the new CLio in 2013, and now other steps will come more quickly. That means bing present in the Twingo, Clio, Megane, Laguna and Espace sectors and other sub-sectors that will be new to us"

Sounds quite promising for Renault!
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

I never knew why they chose to make an electric and petrol car
Mainly because a petrol engine is much lighter and more compact than a derv of equivilent output and doesnt have to have a turbocharger to do it, also with small engines the economy gap between petrol engines and dervs is much smaller so there is less advantage to the derv, then of course you have to have fap etc etc and its all space and weight which is a big issue when you ave to fit the extra motors and batteries in somewhere too, i think from memory the dervs higher comp ratios caused some problems for the earlier stop start technology which has now been sorted out though but i could be wrong on that.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

So Renault seems to have gone of the rails, and their train of thought :wink: with their products has lost its' "Va Va Voom!"

Meanwhile one of their customers does get things back on track literaly........

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picture ... ssing.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The service arriving shortly will not have much seating room, no WC or buffet car, but was potentially going to be a buffer car. :wink:
Last edited by ACTIVE8 on 28 Jan 2012, 00:43, edited 1 time in total.
ACTIVA

The car that looks like a family car, but has special secret hidden abilities.
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

What is it with Clios and unusual accidents, there was that Clio pushed along sideways by a HGV, another Clio wedged under a truck (both psted on here I believe) and then this. Quite interesting that the driver got so far from the road before noticing it wasnt a road. Mind, they probably only realised that as the car came to a halt :lol:

Reminds me of this:

Taken from a youtube video about good women drivers.

No doubt with a handy hydropneumatically suspended Citroen you would get out of that situation with all but your pride in tact.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Citroenmad wrote:What is it with Clios and unusual accidents, there was that Clio pushed along sideways by a HGV, another Clio wedged under a truck (both psted on here I believe) and then this. Quite interesting that the driver got so far from the road before noticing it wasnt a road. Mind, they probably only realised that as the car came to a halt :lol:

Reminds me of this:

Taken from a youtube video about good women drivers.

No doubt with a handy hydropneumatically suspended Citroën you would get out of that situation with all but your pride in tact.
The Citroen would be less bumpy, although if one carried some eggs in it, would it pass the Dersh egg test?

Or would a Dersh have to do it?
ACTIVA

KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

That is NOT a modern Renault 5 and i hope though don't dare slap the 5 badge on anything as its consigned to GTT blown headgasket history!

Tha looks like a flat fronted DS3 with a diamond shoved on the front... rip off hey!
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

I can see the point in a pure EV for people who commute or travel less than 50miles in each direction so they can charge it when they get home, or like me get the idea to charge it at work and save even more money as i am seriously thinking of something like a volt or such like for the normal hum drum work and back routine insteda of public transport :) Just waiting to see what the real cost will be tbh
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

KP wrote:I can see the point in a pure EV for people who commute or travel less than 50miles in each direction so they can charge it when they get home, or like me get the idea to charge it at work and save even more money as i am seriously thinking of something like a volt or such like for the normal hum drum work and back routine insteda of public transport :) Just waiting to see what the real cost will be tbh
The use of the name volt denoting an electric car, is like thinking along the lines (back in the day) when Ford called their "muscle" car a Mustang, as in V8 form, it had in the right state of tune a lot of horse power, and were even known as pony cars.
ACTIVA

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Chevy Volt - with a predilection for bursting into flames :twisted:
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

"I was actually in control of how much gas I consumed, and it was a powerful feeling," Say's Joe Nocera an automotive journalist, after driving Volt. If you want to drive using only electricity, you can. If you want to drive using electricity and gas, you can do that too. Volt is first for two very good reasons.
I drive a Petrol and diesel and im in control of how much fuel i want to use just like you mate, i wouldnt say its a powerful feeling, i either use the car or i dont, i dont see where the control is? you drive on electric for 30 miles untill the battery is dry then you either get out and walk or fire up the gas generator.......................... where do they find these muppets :lol: .

If you could charge one at work that would be worth thinking about but the warranty worries me a bit, "any electrical modules, wires, hoses, radiators and sensors relating to the drive system are not covered" and on an electric vehicle that is interesting, strange how GM have different length warranty for different engines too :lol:

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Bloody ugly too!