Another Week of Madness

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Another Week of Madness

Post by addo »

Tuesday I am off again, down to the paddocks and continuing with my carport project. I told the local council that I'd already started, having dug all my post holes - without yet lodging plans to build...
"You're not supposed to do any work without approval"
- OK, we'll call them test holes.
"Sounds good. See you Tuesday afternoon"

In-principle approval over the 'phone in seconds; I love it. :lol: In preparation I have had a busy weekend of pre-fabbing; cut long half-lapped joints in six 10×2" boards, prepped nine posts and primed a whole bunch of timber. The trailer will be groaning! Cambelt change is underway right now - I have it all pinned and apart. Old tension roller was the worse for wear but I didn't swap it last time (March 2008/100K km ago). In honesty the belt plus other tensioner probably had another 50K in it.

Weather is supposed to be HOT. Days in the low to mid-30s, with showers at times. Very little shade. If the building goes to plan I will also make time for weed spraying, tree pruning and shuffling a few cars about in the storage shed down the road. Nothing wrong with a little ambition now and then. :wink:

The best part about all the above, is how FCF gets almost a week without me. :P
citronut
My Cars:

Re: Another Week of Madness

Post by citronut »

addo wrote: The best part about all the above, is how FCF gets almost a week without me. :P

oh no we will almost certainly go cold turkey without you around Adam :shock: :roll: [-o< :lol: :wink:

hope you get it all done, so what happens if you dont get planning through before you start :shock:

regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

addo wrote: "You're not supposed to do any work without approval"
That's what I so love about the Aussies - no BS, no 'jobs-worth' attitude, pragmatic and straightforward :-D That demonstrated it perfectively!

We'll all miss you on here in your absence Adam :(
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Pics of any work done please. Work is good :)
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

addo wrote: having dug all my post holes - without yet lodging plans to build...
"You're not supposed to do any work without approval"

In-principle approval over the 'phone in seconds; I love it.
Excellent, if only our local councils were as obliging!

We want a new wall at the front of our house, there are two massive conifers which are pushing the wall of the drive down, so they must be removed. However since we live in a 'conservation area' we have to let the neighbours know we would like our own tress taken out and also put up a council sign outside to see if anyone else objects to us removing them. Then in 6 weeks time, if there are no objections, we can have the trees removed. Not really the best time of the year to build a wall then, is it!

I wouldn't care, but those particular trees are not protected, unlike the ones to the rear of the house which block some light.

If we wanted the change the wall, we were thinking of moving the drive entrance along, we would need planning permission! Crackers.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

My son in law just got knocked back from a loft conversion and extending the front of his house/adding hardwood windows, doors and shutters+a balcony.
The side of the house that this was requested for faces - a forest. No-one can see it!
He lives in a tiny cul-de-sac in a village miles from anywhere.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Sydney has planning insanity, too - why do you think I run away often as possible? :lol:
...what happens if you dont get planning through before you start
Well, there's a gorgeous young brunette on twelve acres, about two hours down the road who's looking for a handyman. :twisted: Otherwise, a flush/bleed on the ID19 hydraulics, a scenic drive in the Snowy Mountains, or (most likely) more weedkilling and pruning.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Finally, after two days' delay I am sorted and good to go. :mrgreen:

All you FB'ers should friend the "White Rose Cafe" in Ariah Park NSW. Their staff include a comely lass with qualifications in pole dancing (truly). Of course I am stopping there simply for the coffee.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

is the coffe good then Adam :-** :lol: :wink:

regards malcolm
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

It was OK Malcolm - why do you ask? Although I was just a little distracted at the time...

What a week!

First up, massive traffic snarls getting out of town. Cold, rainy, accidents, coppers, you name it. After six hours on the road I stopped for chips at a truck stop. They had a dining area signposted "Reserved for Professional Drivers", the sole two inhabitants thereof looked like bikers doing a drug deal, or undercover cops impersonating bikers. As a thoroughly unprofessional driver I ate whilst pedalling along a back road in the darkness, using my GPS on maximum zoom like a surrogate co-driver (it doesn't call the turns, but you get the idea). Arrived chateau half ten in the evening.

Next day, weather had turned about. For two days it was hot. Make that SERIOUSLY EFFING HOT. What kind of numbskull sets himself up to dig postholes in the blazing heat without gloves? My steel bar got instantly superheated and burned major blisters into both hands. Stop laughing, now - it hurt and my Mum wasn't there to make it better. :lol: The dirt was like rock - awesomely hard. Found the odd redback, too. To get out of the sun for a bit, I delivered some fast-moving beef pies to the café - about eighty miles return. Spheres need regassing. The local tip is free for garden waste, for variety I took a good number of trailer loads there on Saturday.

Sunday it rained. Enough to put a "damper" (Scrabble: triple pun score) on plans. We eventually moved two cars between venues with long intervals of visiting mates and yakking. I found a cute spider about six inches across, and poked it with my finger to get a response. :shock: It reared up, showing a decent set of fangs. Hmm, maybe it wasn't the harmless type I initially thought.

Monday I started concreting posts in. I got to meet Buddy. He's a golden retriever pup, about 3/4 grown. I know he was called Buddy because it said so on his name tag and there was a phone number. My batphone has no reception there. Fail? Buddy wanted to share his favourite new toy with me. This was a dead frog; maybe three days so and well-chewed. Dog frog breath isn't nice, and dunderhead dog was intent on stumbling all over my stringlines as he mock chased this escaping amphibian. Tragedy struck; my shovel somehow picked up the frog and it fell into a post hole, to immediately be covered with a barrowload of concrete. Buddy wasn't fazed; he just jumped in and tried to dig it out. Yes, I know what you're thinking and I was tempted - but couldn't be sure how thick the concrete needed to be, before that microchip was unscannable. So - Once all the concrete was in place, Buddy got a good wash. I've never washed a dog before, let alone scrubbed concrete off a frisky pup's head - so this was an education in itself. He followed me excitedly down the street as I drove home...

My steering hose, recently repaired at great cost by an indie hose jockey, failed again that afternoon - I barely made it back to evening base before the PAS was all gone from fluid loss. I found this out on a late run for extra bags of concrete mix, leaving a beautiful green trail through the drive-in trades section of Big Hardware Chain. With a borrowed car, I crawled into the main town next day, plonked my hose on the franchise company's table and cried... almost. The repair was 2/3 of Sydney prices, but now I had to buy full synth ATF (no LHM in town), and brimmed the tank on my borrowed van. By one-thirty I was mobile again, finished off a couple of tomato sangers and headed back into the paddock for another dig session.

Last day came, and I split it between tip runs and concreting. Hot again, hotter than forecast and I was roasted. I need to stop being such a nancy about choice of hat and just get a bloody titfer on my bonce. Then it was time - just as I was getting into the groove with barrow mix concrete - to scrub the barrow, load up and return home via the caf. Local answer to the chip butty is a potato scallop (like a battered potato cake) burger. Mmm! Washed it down with a cappucino and commenced the Big Drive.

Found a city type driver in the middle of BFN, too. They overtook me in their van complete with "My Family" stickers on the outward fringe of a small town, impatient with my slow gaining of speed. Guess who whooshed past them into the night shortly thereafter? :twisted: I maintained some seriously naughty rates of progress for the first eighty or so miles until the roads became too populated for quick, safe travel. At one point on the highway back into Sydney, temperature dropped to 11°C on the display - barely 1/3 of that day's working temperature. Big love for the 500ml bottles of "V" - seriously good kit when you're pressing on.

So now it's time to re-urbanise, at least for a few days.

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

so thats the hot sheila being served at the cafe (the blond one ) keeping you from getting on Adam,
i see what you mean she's HOT :^o [-X :shock: :lol: :wink:

regards malcolm
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Ohh, a red-back and an echidna ... The former once nearly killed me and the latter are very cute little animals....

Sounds like your pup is too Adam. I LOL'd at the frog story...

What's that other spider on the side of the green car.. Lethal I guess...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

The spider was apparently a wolf spider. Nasty bite, it's alleged, but not fatal.